Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Is this a "Greatest Hits" version of FFVIII? Are there label-side scratches on the disk? If you hold the disk up to a bright light, can you see light shining through the disk in places? Could your CD-ROM drive lens be dirty (you could try the FFVII again and see if it's still reading well)?

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it's not a greatest hits version, there are no label side scratches, can't see the light shining through some places, and i dont think my cd rom lens is dirty because i've tryed it on another pc and got the same problem, but all other games workes fine, but it works fine to play from the cd so i dont know.

and the laserlock mode just screwed up the image.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Don't use the Laserlock profile. Use the Playstation profile, make it a CloneCD format image, do not skip errors, turn retries up to 16. If it's the PAL version, also have it capture subchannel data. When you try to play from the image, if PAL, make sure subchannel reading is turned on.

Dan

·
Registered
654 Posts
Could you be a little more specific than "it doesn't work"? Do you mean that Alcohol still gives you read errors when attempting to make the image, or that the emulator hangs/freezes/goes black when you attempt to use the image you made?

Dan

·
Registered
654 Posts
Then your FF8 disk probably has disk rot or was badly manufactured, and if you play it in a real playstation it would crash or otherwise give you a problem when you get to the part of the game where it needs to read data from that spot on the disk.

One last suggestion before you give up and return this copy to the store and/or buy another: Make Alcohol's disk reading speed as low as it will go and try one more time. Also run the disk through Nero CD-DVD speed to see what the error rates look like.

Finally, your drive head could be dirty or misaligned. Try to make another image from your FF7 disks and see if it can still read them. If it can't, you might be having drive problems.

Dan

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Also using another application might be good idea, for a test that is. Alcohol might have compatibility issue, but i really doubt. But its worth of the shot! Try CloneCD/CloneDVD and see if it works.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Sounds like disk rot. This can be caused either by poor manufacturing or poor handling.

At this point all you can do is buy another copy. Fortunately, newly pressed copies of FF8 can be had, sometimes at your local game shop (where I got mine), sometimes at Walmart, and definitely online (Walmart, Amazon).

Dan

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.