Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The sheer number of posts on both these games is QUITE overwhelming, and frankly trying to read through all these to find a post relevant to my question? Ouch...
What' I'm wondering is which PSX emulator(s) and plugin(s) are ideal for playing Final Fantasy 9 and Chrono Cross.

-First, system specs
My system's video card is one I'm not sure many people hear about or see, a Radeon 64MB. (So far, the only ATI video card that has impressed me)
My processor's a nice 1.3 ghz Athlon (So processor speed isn't the issue here)
Ram is 256 MB (so reading an ISO ain't an issue either when it comes to speed)
My OS is Win 98 (No ME or 2000 for me thank you!)

-For FFIX...
I've been fooling around with epsxe, and it's quite fun except for the slowdown caused by entering a battle, and by some special effects. The other problem is scrambled graphics between screen transitions. Konemu PSX (A VGS hack made to run FFIX) seems to work okay, though it has this thing about freezing up FFIX at various points. (Before we go any further, I am using ISOs I ripped with CDRWin from the NTSC version of FFIX) I cannot, unfortunatly, use Pete's ideal setup since I cannot use Glide (Radeon is an ATI card, no 3dfx support, and therefore, no Glide..*sigh*)
Then there's all these problems I hear about with the end of disc 3, which makes me wonder if I'm using the right PSX Bios or settings. (i'm using Scph1001.bin)
Then there's sound...ugh. So many problems here. The ones that keep the game stable sound awful, the ones that sound good supposedly crash the emulator/game.
If anyone can shed light on any of this, I'd really appreciate it.

-Chrono Cross
So far, I'm not sure what emulator would be the best for this... (Though VGS, Bleem, and the hacks of VGS are out already, no menu for the Key Items)
I've also read posts on message boards of the game locking up at certain points, which raises the question of if it is possible to finish the entire game on epsxe.
And once again, when it comes to config info, I'm stuck.

If anyone can shed any light on any of these problems, I would, as stated before, really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

"I'm not out to protect anyone! The only thing I'm out to do is kill Rockman myself!"
-Forte, Rockman and Forte (Super Famicom, 1999)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Your so crazy..... Pete only has Plugins for D3D and OpenGL. So you ATI Rage should run just fine on either of those two plugins. OpenGL is used by......ALL cards that aren't 3DFX cards, that I can think of anyways. Seeing your nice specs I suggest you use the following setup. Or you could go even further and up the resolution to 1024x768 - though resoultion changes don't effect the visuals enough to notice, except on some games.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Major problem with MDECs in both games, and another in CC

Well, the config you suggested works great. But there's one slight problem, and that's MDECs. I already know why I'm having sound stuttering with MDECs in CC, and that's because of Null's SPU core.
Is there any SPU core I can use in CC that won't cause this problem? (It sometimes happens in FFIX as well, one time I don't think it did..go fig)
Another major problem in CC is temporary "Freezing."
What happens is the game runs smoothly for awhile, then it freezes up for a second or two, then it resumes playing at full speed. This happens all the time, in battles, outside of battles, anything that's ingame will display this temporary freeze problem.
If anyone can shed some light, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gah! Now FFIX is doing it!

Talk about going from bad to worse. Now it seems FFIX is doing this whole 'split second lockup' deal. Whatever it is, it either has to do with epsxe's programming, or an SPU core, I say this because I've tried every display driver (OpenGL, D3D, Software (ugh!))
and had the problem in FFIX. So what exactly is this? Is it anything I can work around? Or should I get used to game's suddenly stopping and resuming?

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Then you may want to turn off the "Full VRam Primitives" - Heres a snipit from the facts about petes OGL plugin, "If you activate this option the internal soft gpu will paint every polygon,
etc. into the gpu vram. That's helpful if you want to see most of the fancy psx effects, but also _very_ slow." Or, you may just want to up the Offscreen drawing mode to 4 and see if that helps. OR, you could just try Petes D3D plugin with all the same stuff on, I find that the D3D plugin runs a lot faster for me, but thats just me with my crappy comuter specs ;)

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
As for the sound issues, you should try to use the Internal SPU for ePSXe, I find it works the best and the sounds sound more like the actual PSX sounds, ect. But Null2 is a nice choice, I have also been wondering that if say, I bought a new sound card if it would help at all (though I do have an integrated version of SBLive!). But once again I am not sure if it would help at all. What sound card (or integrated other) are you using?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Originally posted by ForteMP3
-Chrono Cross
So far, I'm not sure what emulator would be the best for this... (Though VGS, Bleem, and the hacks of VGS are out already, no menu for the Key Items)
I've also read posts on message boards of the game locking up at certain points, which raises the question of if it is possible to finish the entire game on epsxe.
And once again, when it comes to config info, I'm stuck.

If anyone can shed any light on any of these problems, I would, as stated before, really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.
I finished Chrono Cross on ePSXe, and I had no problems at all with it. Except from a few lock-ups when you go to the character change screen, but all you have to do is press F7 and it'll work. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts