Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends having me build him a new computer. He's payin with daddys credit card :lol: And he's a pain in the arse to work with, he picked out his case before the motherboard, so i had to find him a good micro atx board, when the full atx which was better was also cheaper. But heres what i ordered for him as he was on a tighter budget. What u think? Much better than my current one:mad:

DFI LP JR P45-T2RS LGA 775 Intel P45 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Core2 e8400
OCZ plainum(?) 800mhz ram
Evga 9800Gtx+ 512mb card.
All housed in the ThermalTake Lanbox Lite.
And a Rosewill 600w psu.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
My friends having me build him a new computer. He's payin with daddys credit card :lol: And he's a pain in the arse to work with, he picked out his case before the motherboard, so i had to find him a good micro atx board, when the full atx which was better was also cheaper. But heres what i ordered for him as he was on a tighter budget. What u think? Much better than my current one:mad:

Core2 e8400
And a Rosewill 600w psu.
Look at my sig ;)

I have nearly the same machine. Tell your friend that the Thermaltake Lanbox looks good in pictures, but it's huge for a matx case, and it's impossible to keep clean. I just came back from a LAN and my Silverstone SUGO SG01 was far smaller than my buddy's Lanbox and it was still easy to work on. Click on my sig to see. (scroll past the OP because I changed to the DFI board and Nvidia card)

The 9800 will do the job just fine Devin. It's not the fastest, but it's still viable. Dude can always upgrade it later.

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts

Core2 e8400
And a Rosewill 600w psu.
Since we're talking about a E8400 here... I think a cheap G31 board from GIGABYTE would also do 4GHz on that processor easily... hence a DFI board would be overkill.

No, I won't mention P5E-VM HDMI here because those sons o' beeches increased the price of that board back to its original. :p Was $90 before.

Now anyway... reduce the board, then use the difference in board money to get a better graphics card. Preferrably GTX 275 or HD 4890 if you can afford either. Since that board is $150, and a GIGABYTE G31 is about $50 brand new, you already saved a good $100 for the graphics card.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Since we're talking about a E8400 here... I think a cheap G31 board from GIGABYTE would also do 4GHz on that processor easily... hence a DFI board would be overkill.

No, I won't mention P5E-VM HDMI here because those sons o' beeches increased the price of that board back to its original. :p Was $90 before.

Now anyway... reduce the board, then use the difference in board money to get a better graphics card. Preferrably GTX 275 or HD 4890 if you can afford either. Since that board is $150, and a GIGABYTE G31 is about $50 brand new, you already saved a good $100 for the graphics card.

Trust me, you won't be disappointed.
Alright, if he hasnt ordered the parts by then i will tell him to do so. I was under a great rush to put that list together, he only has a few days to purchase everything before he cant.

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Ahh is it that bad?
It's a small case that's way too big, if that makes sense. Also, as a former Sonata owner, glossy black piano finishes are a nightmare.

So a board like this?And will a 4850/280 fit in that little lanbox?
My 4870 fit in either slot.
My GTX285 bumps into my HDs if I try to put it in the 1st PCI-E slot, so I just use my 2nd one....which works out great because it butts the fans on the card right up against the case vents, ensuring a cool air supply for the card.

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's a small case that's way too big, if that makes sense. Also, as a former Sonata owner, glossy black piano finishes are a nightmare.

My 4870 fit in either slot.
My GTX285 bumps into my HDs if I try to put it in the 1st PCI-E slot, so I just use my 2nd one....which works out great because it butts the fans on the card right up against the case vents, ensuring a cool air supply for the card.
hmm. will take that into consideration. But he's pretty dead set on that case :lol: Which would be better, the 4890 or 275(which may not fit. As the 4890 supposedly has a 10-15% increase from the 4870.

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
get him a better card a GTX260 atleast if he plans on playing pc killing games example GTA 4 or crysis if not then the current card might do the work
Yes because none of us without at least that card can run crysis or GTA4.

All facts considering, any 9800 series card would be sufficient; although I suggest my card; an HD4850. It has a bit more punch for relatively the same price-tag.

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
hmm. will take that into consideration. But he's pretty dead set on that case :lol: Which would be better, the 4890 or 275(which may not fit. As the 4890 supposedly has a 10-15% increase from the 4870.
Bigger case != more room. My 4870 barely fit in my P182. It fit no sweat in my Silverstone.

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
In my opinions, hack the front of the case, then "relocate" the HDD elsewhere, or use an ultra-slim SSD. Or give up on the lanbox and get a normal case or another "normal-looking" mATX case. :p

Portability doesn't come cheap. And with that price range, you wouldn't get anything that is good enough. Then you need to take cooling into consideration as well.

·
Mhm.
2,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well, i told him to get a different case. And question, is the 4890/275 bigger than a 9800? just so i know the size of a case i can use. Found one that a 9800 fits snug in.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
NZXT Rogue
Asus Rampage II Gene
Core i7 920
Corsair XMS3 1600 12GB/s (6x2GB)
Corsair 620W
XFX GTX 285
BenQ G2400WD
Auzentech Prelude 7.1
WD VelociRaptor 300GB
WD Cavalier 1TB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.