Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone this is gonna be long but bear with me, please, you're my last hope here. :(

I have a little Acer Aspire 5315 notebook, nothing fancy. The tech specs are here

Except I'm running WindowsXP Professional. Oh, I know Acer is supposed to be just for Vista, but I managed to get XP on it and all the drivers are up and running.

I played DS games on no$gba on it for over a year and they went perfectly well and then out of the blue, they slowed down DRASTICALLY.

Avast says I have no viruses and I don't even use that computer for internet, anyway.

At one point my dad managed to mess up something and we had to erase everything and install a fresh version of windows. Games on No$ ran like a song for a day and started going slow again, out of the blue.

Even now, if I start ANY game, it runs perfectly well for an hour or so and then goes into slug mode. o_O'''

Everything else ~ movies, PC games, music, and such runs perfect.

Anyhow, it's weird and I'm not really expecting anyone to fix it for me, but if someone could, like, give me an idea of what's wrong or what should be fixed, that would rock, thanks! :thumb:

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
set the power options to anything but minimal power conservation.

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,100 Posts
Try to dust off the air intake fans. For notebooks more than tabletops, cooling is a critical issue and can cause such slowdowns.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Squall ~That was the first thing I did when I bought the notebook. :D I'm always on AC power. I think it's on Max Battery or Home Office now.

Smiley ~ It's still under warranty, so I took it to be cleaned every month or so. :'(

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,100 Posts
Try to play the game until the slowdown occurs, then run the taskmanager to see if any other application has a resource drain.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
My guess is that it's some sort of heating problem, try to get a cooling pad for the laptop...also get some apps like SIW (sensor option in the tree displays temps) and check how hot all the components are getting as I strongly suspect it's overheating and throttling itself, perhaps the thermal paste used by Acer has basically been used up over the last year where it ran fine. If a cooling pad does not help I doubt you will be able to fix it unfortunately.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.