Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!! After some time away from the PSX Emulator (ePSXe) now I"m BACK!! And my first question is, please tell me, FF9 or FF8 which is better? I need high quality graphics and good story, so, give me some recommendations!!

Another thing, anyone can give me their Lewpy display configurations for FF9? Thanks!!

Regards
Michael

·
Bip...Bip...
970 Posts
I played fully these two Final Fantasy games and IMHO FF IX has good graphics but the story really sucks (played 2 times), FF XIII has also good graphics (less than FF IX) but the story was better (played 3 times).

Don't forget to apply the patches for FF IX if you want to play it on emulator (recomended)

·
Bip...Bip...
970 Posts
Whaaahhhhh......

I wanted to say FF VIII not FF XIII, but I hope you understood.

For the patch you have to find it for your country (look inside the forum) I downloaded it directly from www.psxemu.com some time ago so..... perhaps on the aldo's tool website. recently the patch for the uk pal version of FF IX was released on this forum and on the www.psxemu.com website.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
You do realize that you only need to patch the games if you are not running NTSC versions of FF9.. Its the PAL versions of FF9 that need patching.. For lewpys glide pluggin, just use whatever settings you want but use this especially:

Experimental Flipping enabled

Want more speed:
set Off screen drawing to basic...
framebuffer to write

More graphic effects:
set off Screen drawing to extra, extra+, or FULL
framebuffer to write/read

I recommend you play at a resolution of a multiple of the original psx resolution for better 2d grapchics like 640x480 or 960x720. IF you got FSAA turn that up to the max(4X) if your comp can handle it for kick ass 2d and 3d..

If you gotta choose, check some reviews of the game first and see which one you prefer... here is a quick hint:

FF9... more like the older FF's with small deformed characters and a more fantasy storyline. Less summons.

FF8... Humanlike characters(no deformed char).. More summons.. More configuration to really get the most out of characters.. Kind of a scifi fantasy world..

Personally, I like the music in FF8 better.. (That Fei Wong song is cool) They are both good games.. I think the ending in FF8 was better too..

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
and to apply the patch in ePSXe, simply use Pete's latest cdr plugin and you'll see the option in there.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ive played final fantasy 7, 8, and 9, all about 2 or 3 times each (can you say fanatic :p) IMHO 7 was the best out of all of them, but i think 9 was way better than 8, granted, 9 was much shorter, but only becuase they didnt bother to try and make 9 as long as 7 and have it turn out boring like 8. (didya understand that, cause my grammer sucks) Anyway, if its a choice between 8 or 9, id say 9, but as far as graphics and sound go, i believe that 7, 8, and 9 are all about the same there. But if you wanna play the best FF play 7, unless you already have, in witch case id suggest 9, skipping 8 wont mean youll miss much, trust me :p. (although the summons in 8 were pretty nifty.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
(very small spoiler for 8, but recomended you read)

If you play 8, DO NOT forget to draw from all boses, there are some Summons witch you can only get from summoning from the bosses witch you can only face once (cause there bosses). If you dont do this, theres a couple of things you wont be able to do in the game (side quests you cant complete). Just for FYI, cause i didnt know about it till after I had already beatin several bosses, and i had to play it again to finish some of the side quests (Doom Train, FF8 players will know what i mean.)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.....

Thanks guys. Personally I've played FF8 PC version before. The story line is really good. Now I'm going with the ePSXe emulator... so I'm thinking to buy again... FF8 I'm afraid it is already outdated... so nevermind, I'll play FF9 first, then only FF8. Ok? Yeah... in Malaysia can't get FF7 now...

Regards.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
If you already played FF8 on pc, why play it again on epsxe? The graphics quality is about the same and its still the same game!! I suggest you just stick to your PC version since you already got it.. Go and get FF9... I thought you hadn't played FF8 or FF9.. FF8 was on my game collection for a while before the PC version came out.. To me its not worth the money to buy the same game twice.. But if ya got money to throw, go for it.. Some people just gotta have everything.. hehe :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hey man... my cousin lent me the FF8 PC version. That's why I'm still thinking which is better... I played until both Squall and (that girl... forgot what name) walk on their own way. Squall steal the train and successfully got away from the guards. While the "girls team" have to go to the... (what place.. forgot) to beat a "boss" Then I have to give back the CD to my cousin....

Regards. :yawn:

·
Bip...Bip...
970 Posts
Fivefeet8

Guy, I think you are not able to understand what's enjoying to play to a (good) RPG game.

FFVIII was the first PSX game I bought specialy for use with an emulator. But in that time these ones were not so powerfull and after many crashes I decided to buy the PC one and to continue with it. When ePSXe 1.2.0 was out and the plugins were better (many thanks to Pete, Lewpy, Null and Iori) I decided to re-play it using differents paths than before and.... try it by your self.... BIG BIG pleasures.

I bought and played also FFIX on ePSXe who was also very good. I tryed also different paths but I got less mouvement liberty than FFVIII.

I have also FFVII on the shelves but I stoped quickly with it.

I played also FFVI on an SNES emulator. Thats THE RPG by excelence (I wish that Square will release it in a next future with better graphics on PC or whatever).

I played this RPG games mostly on emulators because I got more options and liberty than cosoles, even if I have them in stock.

·
Bip...Bip...
970 Posts
michaelfoocyuan,

That Girl's name is Rinoa in the English version and Linoa for the French version.

You were at the end of the 1st CD in Deling City and I think (in your case) you prepare to defeat the Witche...

Better to come...

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah... thanks man, :) forgot the girl's name... anyway, I'm going with FF9. After finished FF9, then only the FF8. Really? FF8 emulator version is better than the PC version? As for FF9, what graphic plugin are you using? I think I'm gonna stick to Lewpy's 3DFX/Glide 1.35. Any settings recommendations? I'm running ePSXe 1.4.0 with Athlon 550Mhz, Asus K7M motherboard, Voodoo 3 2000 card, Creative Sound Blaster Live! Value & Asus 50x CDROM drive. Sorry, I'm very new to the PSX emulator... any help will appreciate!! :)

Thanks.:eyemove:

·
Registered
54 Posts
well, with the pc version os ff8, you have chocobo world, With this small game you can get 2 summons minimog and shumi. You can also get items like the lamp (if you didn't talk to cid), precious items also and.... Ribbon like any other ff. But the ribbon is useless, since you can't equiped it...

oh yeah, i forgot... you have the Bocko summon to... he become more powerfull at lvl 50 and 100

·
Scourge of the Seven Seas
2,412 Posts
Whaddya mean Ribbon's useless?!?! Prevents all status maladies?! I'ts a junction ability like Mug or Auto-Haste. Teach it to a GF. Use Amnesia greens to get rid of unwanted abilities! Sheesh.

BTW, I used Chocoboworld to max out a lotta things (stats, magic, junctions). Very :cool: .

·
2,412 Posts
Get a silly answer: They're not GFs, they're Eidolons.

·
2,412 Posts
Eidolon is just different name for a summon spell. FF9's summons are called Eidolons. Big monster comes in, :smash:s the enemy, leaves. FF8's summons are called Guardian Force (GF). But since FF8 doesn't use MP, UNLIKE EVERY OTHER FF, they're summoned differently (by calling, waiting 1-3 turns [i.e., the summon cost], then casting). Same idea, different name & application. GFs may make FF8 too easy, while Eidolons are classic summons.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts