Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Don't go there and piont out that xbox uses a PIII733 CISC cpu that is slower than a RISC cpu or that xbox can't play halo at 60fps...imediate ban....
Kinda funny actually..and they say they are unbiased.....
Can't say that but it's perfectly fine for Xbox drones to call other people "fan boys"

Just a word of warning, don't go there and speak the truth....not if you want to be able to go back that is...lol

S

·
0 Posts
is RISC REALLY faster than CISC? I heard some people say something completely different.

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
Maybe you were rude to them or something... :confused: Dunno why they'd ban you for that....then again, Mwarhead (remember him?) made an ass outta himself due to fsb. :D

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
You haven't noticed by now that each and every section is done by "fan boys" of that system? In most cases that's particularly disturbing (n64), and in some cases a good thing (Anoop, anime junkie, did Dreamcast stuff). I'd ignore them and go to a service that A. is not full of ads and B. has good reviewing: http://www.gamespot.com

·
I'm?
1,866 Posts
i really like ign ehhhermm i mean gamespot besides i'm used to it :D :D :D

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
5,568 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
>is RISC REALLY faster than CISC?
You'll note that many newer CISC processors incorporate processor functions which were once considered to be chiefly the realm of RISC (vector operations and the like, for example). Most programmers will agree (most that I know, at least) that programming in RISC is a good deal more pleasant compared to the multitude of hacks and kluges built into modern CISC systems.

I'm still at a bit of a loss, however, as to how comparing CPU speed/type is supposed to influence my purchasing of a game system. It is, after all, meant for playing games, not calculating a spreadsheet. So long as the platform has a variety of games that are pleasant, I could care less about the processor. After all, it's not like I complain about how 'slow' the Z80 of my Gameboy is when compared to my computer, right?

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
LOL!!! So? I luv ign.com I go ther once a day. Well... PS2 was 233mhz or somtin but can a 233mhz pentium do the same? I dont think so. The Mhz they are talking about is the systems Mhz which is totally different. For Example ps2 has 32mb of ram. Its not the same RAM?! If it is why would there be such less loading then computers?

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by cluthu
>is RISC REALLY faster than CISC?
You'll note that many newer CISC processors incorporate processor functions which were once considered to be chiefly the realm of RISC (vector operations and the like, for example). Most programmers will agree (most that I know, at least) that programming in RISC is a good deal more pleasant compared to the multitude of hacks and kluges built into modern CISC systems.

I'm still at a bit of a loss, however, as to how comparing CPU speed/type is supposed to influence my purchasing of a game system. It is, after all, meant for playing games, not calculating a spreadsheet. So long as the platform has a variety of games that are pleasant, I could care less about the processor. After all, it's not like I complain about how 'slow' the Z80 of my Gameboy is when compared to my computer, right?
True, however, in the case of X-box it was relevent in terms of X-box not even being able to play Halo at 60FPS.

The Ps2 Vs. PC article linked previously brought up some very good points that I've not seen previously metioned. Those being, the bandwidth issue.
You would think that is x-box has good bandwidth between CPU/GPU?ram that it should theorhetically be able to play games BETTER than a PC, since it is using a standard PC CPU and Standard PC gpu. But that isn't the case. Halo falls short in FPS, several other games appear to be ummm, not smooth, for lack of a better phrase. Seems that maybe X-Box is limited (as is the PC) with the same flaw that causes a lot of PC games to be bottlenecked. That being the bandwidth.

I'm not trying to influence anyone.. My personal choice is not to buy X-Box because I see it as a waste of money (Actually reminds me a lot of the Saturn days...Saturn had what was called one of the best "Fighter" games in Virtua Fighter, as well as a few others people were dying to get, it was supposedly more powerfull than any other console, but yet it failed, partly due to advertisement, but largely due to bad games...the system had a bottleneck that made it hard to program to get good results.)

I'm sticking with gamecube...It's cheaper, Nintendo knows what it's doing and isn't going to let another N64 happen (Which n64 is a great system, just very hard to program)
Plus gamecube has the controller!!...X-Box 's controller is a joke...feels like holding an awkward rock....

·
8+ Years
2,796 Posts
I usually like to argue a lot but...Who cares? No ones perfect.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts