Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
(>^_^)> *KIRBY*
2,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey ive been having truble with textboxes and etc with lewpy's plugin but he suggested that i got new drivers for my video card and it wurked^_^ well jus wanted to inform u if u have an old video card like voodoo 3 to get new drivers. anywayz i jus wanted to tell u ugys jus incase u didnt see the other post...

·
Registered
538 Posts
I'm glad you sorted out your problems :)

But yes, updated drivers can resolve a lot of problems. Voodoo users can still get the last drive sets from 3dfx here.
I personally use the v1.04.01 Beta drivers for my Voodoo5, and the Glide3 support seems solid.
I did try the x3dfx drivers, but I had compatibility problems with the D3D part of the drivers, so reverted back to the last 3dfx drivers.
I've seen people report that the various hybrid driver sets work fine, but I can't personally vouch for them as I have never used them myself.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Lewpy u the man!~

i have a question...
why can the offscreen drawing only be emulated usin' software routin?
if the offscreen drawing drags down my gameplay... how do i speed it up alittle without turnin' it off or to basic?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Glide has a very clear architecture: there is framebuffer memory, and there is texture memory. This is due to the way the original Voodoo Graphics was designed, with physically seperate banks of memory for each purpose.
The Voodoo card can only render to a display buffer in the framebuffer memory, and it can only texture from a texture in the texture memory.
To make use of the Voodoo cards 3D engine to draw off-screen primitives (things that are not seen directly, but are seen indirectly), a special display buffer would have to be created in the framebuffer memory (not all that feasable anyway, within Glide), the primitives drawn in to it, the memory then read back from the framebuffer to main memory, blended with the existing VRAM image in main memory, uploaded to a special texture in texture memory, and then used for whatever purpose the game desires as a texture source.
That is an extremely painful procedure, not simply because it is a very complex process, but because reading data from a framebuffer in Glide is an extremely slow process.
When you take a screenshot, the pause you notice is due to having to read back the displayed image from the framebuffer memory. The higher the resolution you run, the bigger the pause. The same is tru of having the OSD setting on Extra+FBA: the initial FBA (FrameBuffer Access) causes a noticable pause in the game.

With this all in mind, software routines for the off-screen drawing is the best way of doing things.

The only way to speed up the off-screen drawing is to a) buy a faster CPU, or b) write some faster software routines for rendering PSX primitives to a VRAM image, and supply me with the code :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts