Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title!
What will happen :heh: ???
Will the fps double???
Just talk about it for fun :heh: :heh: :heh: :heh: :heh:

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Next release will have 64bit support but it certainly wont double the speed...thats the ideal scenario which is close to impossible

·
A Square Fan!
592 Posts
As bositman has said, the 0.9 will support 64bits.
But it wont double the fps, only a little bit more speed:) (don't know how much exactly)
I have a P4 32bits, so I prefer the VuRec imoprovements :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Ubaid88 said:
Yes it would have if support 64 bit with 3D now! technology.
Uh, how is this exactly? From what I know 3DNow! works on two 32-bit floating-point data (and if anything you should go with SSE/SSE2 for FPU SIMD).

·
Registered
44 Posts
Utilizing 64-bit will help

Utilizing 64-bit cpu's such as the amd athlon 64/opteron will help out with memory speed as well, due to the onboard memory controller, also being able to utilize the extra 128bit floating point regesters for fast calculations, using regesters is fast vs using main memory, having larger address space more memory, but i dont see that helping pcsx2 since ps2 games dont utilize that much ram but still useful to have a 1 terrabyte virtual adress space ^^
Also the amd64 cpu's have good multi processor / multicore suppourt which means more threads if the implementation can suppourt it.

My guess is no speed increase before optimization or a very slight increase, but once they get around to optimizing it after it works good and stable id see a possible 10% increase in some areas.

And thats my 2 cents :p

I havent posted on here in a while , and the last week or so i was prety sick with a flu or somthing bleh still feel kinda crappy.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Now, i have programming experience, but have never programmed an emulator myself. I would say however, that theoretically, with the increased clocks, multiple cores, and 64 bit instruction sets, the new processors (if properly supported by OS, compiler optimizations, etc) should take the FPS to a full 60.

I say this, because from what i've read, the way emulators work right now is basically as a complex intrepreter (correct me if i'm wrong). Right now, we're taking 64bit chunks of data from the games, making it into 32 bit chunks of data we can use, THEN we're turning around and telling the computer what to do with that chunk of data :p . Not having to change the data from 64 bit all the time I'm sure would save TONS of processing time in demanding games like these. Not to mention, with multicores it would be possible to set a thread at realtime priority on one of the processsors, whilest the other does windows and the other less demanding things.

And.... it would be cool to see the emulator have an option to load the entire rom into ram :) Hopefully they actually make use of the terrabyte address space soon heh... I'm sure that would speed up the games a bit as well heh :)

in the mean time... i like VuRec better too :p

·
Registered
65 Posts
D.Strange said:
Small note - EE in PS2 is a 128bit CPU unit...
it means the emulator have to convert it to 32 bit, think about 64 bit emulator will have to do twice less procesing..
But, im 100% shure that we wont c 100% speed increse, even 50%, its more like 5-15%, BUT whit proper code optimizations as the time goes by, there will be speed increse.
I know one for shure if programes will target this emulator only to one platform, IA-64 or x86-64, and all the code will be procesor cpecific, utilizing all of the CPU`s "stuff" it WILL be faster..
But no one will make such..
Its my 2 cents :thumb:

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Benny_a said:
it means the emulator have to convert it to 32 bit, think about 64 bit emulator will have to do twice less procesing..
But, im 100% shure that we wont c 100% speed increse, even 50%, its more like 5-15%, BUT whit proper code optimizations as the time goes by, there will be speed increse.
I know one for shure if programes will target this emulator only to one platform, IA-64 or x86-64, and all the code will be procesor cpecific, utilizing all of the CPU`s "stuff" it WILL be faster..
But no one will make such..
Its my 2 cents :thumb:
actually, there is little truth in the 128bit thing, the only reason its advertised as 128bit is because some of the registers used are 128bits long (altho 99% of the time they are split in to 2 or 4) but in reality i think its a 32bit cpu, but never the less it isnt that simple to get a speed boost, yes 64bit will help, but people are thinking "OMG 64bit is double 32bit so its gonna be double the speed" in the real world it doesnt work like that, so dont expect massive increases when a 64bit build is available

·
Registered
65 Posts
refraction said:
actually, there is little truth in the 128bit thing, the only reason its advertised as 128bit is because some of the registers used are 128bits long (altho 99% of the time they are split in to 2 or 4) but in reality i think its a 32bit cpu, but never the less it isnt that simple to get a speed boost, yes 64bit will help, but people are thinking "OMG 64bit is double 32bit so its gonna be double the speed" in the real world it doesnt work like that, so dont expect massive increases when a 64bit build is available
Its what i trayed to tell in the text above, my tecgnical english its not so strong.
Im know this for shure as one who use 64 bit Windows, from the stages of beta. There r some programs allready ported to 64 bit, and they dont run twice the speed, BUT in overall the system is more stabale and faster, but IMHO not Twice faster than my 32 bit windows!!!
And the same rule goes for emulation..
The only noticble speed boost from 64 bit system is in Video/Audio encoding/decoding, in 64 bit optimised soft..

but this is offtopic...

·
Registered
275 Posts
The only noticble speed boost from 64 bit system is in Video/Audio encoding/decoding, in 64 bit optimised soft..
Try patched 64 bit version of Far Cry ;) 64 bit does there a lot, better graphics and increased speed (~11-15% more compared to 32 bit even it has a lot
more details)
But I only used WinXP64 to test it (and FarCry of course ;)), as I don´t like
WinXP, I´ll stick with my 2k until Longhorn is out (can´t wait to see the
new fileformat X)) and perhaps with Longhorn the will come good 64 bit
drivers, most of them today are more beta status or just quickfixed and
recompiled without any optimations :(

·
NextGenerationGaymulation
2,775 Posts
One very big reason it improves far cry is that HDR lightning is 64 bit

·
Registered
132 Posts
My guess is that the 64bit version will *eventually* be faster. but that is a long while from now since the PCSX2 team are currently only working on compatibility first. however, if they do stuble opon a bugfix or a way to make games run faster, im sure when they have time, they will implement it. but dont rule out 32bit just yet. VUrec seems very promising. I say, with the right optimizations, (right after games are compatible of course) both 32 and 64bit will be fast enough to be considered playable in most games. But *sigh* its still a bit early to say these things.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts