Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Emulation Junkie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As well all know, one of the coolest things about broadband is streaming video, right? You know....game trailers, movie trailers, news.....

WRONG!!!! At least with my computer. Everytime I click on a link to watch some streaming video, and it starts to load it, internet explorer crashes EVERY TIME!!! Microsoft is aware of the problem, but they just recommend copying the url into windows media player directly....yeah...great....if most of them weren't javascript links!!! Does anybody of a fix for this????

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Firefox if an overrated bucket of crap. The Captain, he asked for a solution to a streaming problem, not for your browser preference.

Internet Options. Click the Advanced tab. Scroll down to the Multimedia section.

Do the oposite of whatever "Play videos in web pages is doing" says. Uncheck if it's checked, etc...

Also, make sure you have the proper codecs installed for the video you are streaming.

http://fileforum.betanews.com/detail/1080441198/1

That one has every codec you could possibly want, and you can choose which to install during the install process.

Hope I helped.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Regulus said:
Firefox if an overrated bucket of crap. The Captain, he asked for a solution to a streaming problem, not for your browser preference.
And I bet if he used firefox, he wouldn't have the streaming problem. That's why I called it a solution. And whether you like it or not, firefox is more secure and prevents more spyware than IE. What you use is up to you, though.

·
Registered
212 Posts
The Captain said:
firefox is more secure and prevents more spyware than IE. What you use is up to you, though.

i'll rephrase ur above, firefox is less widely used, hence not looked upon as "decent target audiance" or whatever else u want to call it, it does seem more secure, however its not 100% proven yet wether it is or not,

what is hell of a good, which i luv, is cvs snapshots, most fixes are available within hours that way, i like the addons a lot better thou, which are handy, such as the adblock one, havbe edited my hosts file neway, so dont get 3/4 of the cotd...

and i think ur solution is fine btw :D

·
Miserable Bugger
1,094 Posts
My problem is that I don't like having to install more programs than I need. Since I don't need firefox to browse the internet, I'm not going to have it on my system (I use to but it didn't do anything I couldn't already do).

Now if you could get a version of Windows with Firefox intergrated instead of Internet Explorer I would consider it.

·
Miserable Bugger
1,094 Posts
My problem is that I don't like having to install more programs than I need. Since I don't need firefox to browse the internet, I'm not going to have it on my system (I use to but it didn't do anything I couldn't already do).

Now if you could get a version of Windows with Firefox intergrated instead of Internet Explorer I would consider it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Renmazuo said:
Do you have the Matroska codecs pack installed ?
If that's the case, then uninstall it.
I used to have it and it always made Windows Media Player crash, so I couldn't watch streaming videos.
On top of that, I suggest installing only one codec pack: ffdshow. I suggest googling for the latest version, since the sourceforge page for ffdshow is no longer updated.

·
Emulation Junkie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Suprisingly enough, just to trounce all you firefox lovers (and keep in mind that I tend to use firefox ALOT more than IE myself) I get the EXACT SAME ERROR. So....that theory's blown....I'll try the matroska thing though....although alot of torrents uses the matroska codec....I almost HAVE to have it....

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Firefox if an overrated bucket of crap.
oO

I've found FireFox to be much better than IE. IE crashes, gets weird, etc. I think FireFox was also a good inspiration for Microsoft as well, as it seems the new IE7 will have many of the same features.

I hardly believe its a "bucket of crap" as you put it.

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Jldnr77 said:
Suprisingly enough, just to trounce all you firefox lovers (and keep in mind that I tend to use firefox ALOT more than IE myself) I get the EXACT SAME ERROR. So....that theory's blown....I'll try the matroska thing though....although alot of torrents uses the matroska codec....I almost HAVE to have it....
If you use ffdshow as I suggested, you won't need the matroska codec. ffdshow has support for matroska, ogm, divx, xvid, mpeg4, h.263, - prettry much anything you could ever think of.

·
Emulation Junkie
847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Update....uninstalling the matroska pack didn't help either.....I'm debating on doing a clean install....but I hate doing that....I usually have to set a whole day aside for it.... :hdbash:

Anybody have any idea what's causing this? All suggestions so far don't work :cuss2:

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
The Captain said:
And whether you like it or not, firefox is more secure and prevents more spyware than IE. What you use is up to you, though.
I got to love the "securedness" of firefox... instead of letting YOU make the decisions, it decides for you (actually it's because it doesn't support active-x and stuff :p)! Firefox is more stable on Win98, but it eats memory like crazy. On XP both works well, but I uninstalled firefox awhile ago to safe a few MB...

ffdshow is the best :thumb: But you might also want Real and QuickTime Alternative. These three seems to work fine together, so you probably don't need others and risk codec packs conflicting.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.