Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I got a new scanner/printer, as I have wanted to fix a picture of my Mom when she was young and first in Toronto.

The picture was taken in 1949 when my Mom started as a Bell Canada Operator.

I am giving a link to the picture as I left it unedited

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v664/greywolf1967/Mom-49.jpg

So what I am looking for are hints and tips or ideas for repair software.

As you can see the picture has been damaged, as it made it through 2 floods, 5 moves and storage in my Grand Mothers Steamer Trunk from the 20's.

How would you go about fixing the picture?

Please I am not looking for someone to do it, I just need basic tips and info as to how and what software to use.

T.I.A to any who answer

·
It's a Spinning Smile!
5,309 Posts
You're going to need a higher res image to start with, so scan it much larger.

Then I would recommend Photoshop 7, with various brush's, smudge tools, copy / paste should do the trick. Thankfully it's a black and white photo, making the work alot easier in the long run.

TBH you could proberbly do it in Paint Shop Pro or Painter, but Photoshop 7 is the tool I personally am most familiar with, these so called 'fix it' programs are cheap gimmics, and won't do such a good job.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
if you want to add colour you can use Photoshop to add a layer with the softlight setting and paint it on the softlight layer to add colour

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
I would personnaly use Photoshop because of the patch and healing brush tool (dunno if PSP has those)

basicly you copy then cover up the borders of the peice copied....dunno if that is clear enough :S

im gonna try and restore it for the fun of it. i might post it tonight if i have enough time.

ohh and nice picture btw :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
You'll also want to use the Levels or Curves adjustment option in Photoshop to punch up the contrast a bit (hit the auto button then move the arrows or curve points around until you get a nice result), then use unsharp mask filter to make it less blurry.

You might want to do that first and fix the cracks and broken areas second.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
just using the copy/paste and the patch tool you can get something like this

now i didnt feel like fixing up the shoe because it would take much more time... and well this is just to give you an idea
theres probably 30mins of retouching and most of it was to get that damm bell logo to look "okay"
you could get a better result then that if you put more time then i did

ohhh and a higher res pic would help you a bit more

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:) :thumb:

Many Thanks to everyone. I'll rescan and get to work.

I hope I can end up with a picture half as good as Chrono Archangel did.

Wish me luck

·
Registered
209 Posts
Greywolf Ghost said:
:) :thumb:
Many Thanks to everyone. I'll rescan and get to work.
I hope I can end up with a picture half as good as Chrono Archangel did.
Wish me luck
Yeah, rescan in higher res. It's better to manipulate in high res and then scale it down. Also save it in another format. If you decide to save it as jpg, make sure you use full quality.

I took chrono's version and ran through a few filters in paint shop pro 7 (jpg artifact removal, sharpen, salt and pepper, edge preserving smooth), then scaled it down to 1/3 of original. Unfortunately, alot of texture is gone when you filter it alot. I tried small scratch removal aswell but it messed up the picture too much.

Here is a gif anim and the pic showing the end results:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A great many thanks to all. I was able to fix the pic :cool:

Damn this is fun, but I would hate to do it for a living !

Now maybe I can resore some of my Parents wedding pics that were water damaged in one of the floods in the 70's.

So here is before and after ( resized for better display here ).

** I had to remove the Street Car Track in the lower area as I just could not get it to look right**

Also I lifted my Mom's hand writen note on the back of the picture and placed it on the front. I added a touch of glow, shadow and depth.

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
Greywolf Ghost said:
A great many thanks to all. I was able to fix the pic :cool:

Damn this is fun, but I would hate to do it for a living !

Now maybe I can resore some of my Parents wedding pics that were water damaged in one of the floods in the 70's.

So here is before and after ( resized for better display here ).

** I had to remove the Street Car Track in the lower area as I just could not get it to look right**

Also I lifted my Mom's hand writen note on the back of the picture and placed it on the front. I added a touch of glow, shadow and depth.
nice work :thumb:
looks very nice with the signature. i feel its a tad too blurry but if your happy with it then thats all that matter

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aided Onslaught said:
NICE WORK! I love seeing improments like that. think you'll do anymore with it?
I may do a little more as I saved it in stages. But overall I am happy with the finished picture.

Chrono Archangel said:
nice work :thumb:
looks very nice with the signature. i feel its a tad too blurry but if your happy with it then thats all that matter
Yea there is a blur to it, but there were alot of wrinkles in the photo paper and it seemed to be the best way to rid them. I thought my Mom stayed close to in focus.

Thank you again all for your kind words and help !!! It feels good to share the learning process. Even tho I am just starting out on picture restoring I think my first go was made possible because of the help given here :thumb:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts