Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
My thoughts remain hidden
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently in my final year of a BSc Computer Science degree and would like to create a game as my FYP. However, im just not sure about what to make. Does anyone have any ideas of useful or original game ideas I could probably implement that could get a good mark?

The coding will be C# using XNA Game Studio 3.1.

·
Here... take my hand
637 Posts
Zelda game, nothing else but Zelda
Naw, honestly I would avoid breaching copyrights as this FYP can be placed in a resume/CV... I would take this opportunity to make something completely original so that you can use it as credentials later on too...

What you make depends on how much time and how ambitious you are... I guess you could always make a generic version of Zelda... but I would put a lot of time into it...

Personally, I would create something similar to the Subtarrania game for the Sega Genesis/Master System... The game is really cool and the style is not very common... The bits of advice though: implement multiple difficulty settings so that all users can enjoy the game - and have a built in cheats system for people like me who like to experiment with strange settings...

·
Registered
75 Posts
... The bits of advice though: implement multiple difficulty settings so that all users can enjoy the game - and have a built in cheats system for people like me who like to experiment with strange settings...
Multiple endings are better than multiple difficulty if Khameleon wanted to choose between the two in my opinion. But then if you put the two on your project then that would be impressive.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Out of interest any vauge idea of the type of game you have to make, length and how serious, im meaning on the manlyness front, it has to be.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I would go for either a Racing game or a 2D Sidescrolling Platformer but with fancy effects.

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Out of interest any vauge idea of the type of game you have to make, length and how serious, im meaning on the manlyness front, it has to be.
Well it has to be completed over a period of 9 months and must do more than move a model around a 3D or a 2D area. with totally uncopyrighted material... thats all that has been advised really.

SCHUMI_4EVER - Those were what I was thinking too, a remade version of Subterrania fits a 2D flashy game nicely.

·
Here... take my hand
637 Posts
Multiple endings are better than multiple difficulty if Khameleon wanted to choose between the two in my opinion. But then if you put the two on your project then that would be impressive.
Actually I wouldn't mind seeing the development of multiple endings... That would be a difficult story line but I'm sure it's possible with any topic....

a remade version of Subterrania fits a 2D flashy game nicely.
In respect to the above comment... I am not sure if you are allowed outside sources, but I wouldn't mind putting together an advanced story line for you, I'm an experienced writer in my spare time :D

This doesn't necessarily have to be a remade Subterrania if you choose another game to to compare by....

PM me if you are interested :p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Let me return the question: Where do your passions lie?

If you're an FPS fan I don't give you much chance doing an RPG nicely, but perhaps you have some nice idea about strategy. Give it some thought :)

·
Here... take my hand
637 Posts

·
518 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
My passions do lie in a retro style of game, similar to a side scrolling beat em up, however, the time it will take to produce the sprites, backgrounds, music of a game similar to, say Final Fight/Streets of Rage, will probably be beyond my time scale as I have no idea about spriting:)

I am also doing a 3D Game creation module this year which will enhance my 3D creation skills (rather than 2D which uses different components) which is why I now think a 3D approach would be best for me. A FPS has been a common creation lately at our University so I Cant do it as it isnt an original idea.

·
Here... take my hand
637 Posts
Streets of Rage 2 :love: :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.