Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
VBA 2 developer
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening.

It would be great if some of you could create an application icon and/or a logo for me.

The logo should say "VisualBoyAdvance 2" or "VBA 2", probably with the highlighted 2.

The Icon should be the picture of a Game Boy Advance, GBA SP or GB micro, or maybe a popular character from GBA, or maybe a "Visual Boy", whatever that may be ;)

It would be great if we could get away from the color purple to some other fresh color.

Please only send me images in vector graphic formats or high resolution png. No jpg.

I am still working on what I call "Visual Boy Advance 2". Currently, it's just a little cleaner GBA core taken from VBA-M + a brand new Qt based GUI written entirely by me, but I am sure that it has great potential.

Latest source code always here: trunk - gbxemu - Project Hosting on Google Code

If you are interested in participating, please let me know. I won't tell you what to do, rather you should set your own goals for this project.

The code is under GPL v3 license.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
:( Its just to bloated, requiring 18MB's of runtime to even load the gui? no thanks.

·
VBA 2 developer
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The pre-compiled Qt 4.6.1 runtime DLLs that come with the Qt SDK require 12.3 MB on the disk drive. 7-zip LZMA-Ultra compresses them to 3.51 MB.
If you are talking about system RAM usage, you are right with the 18 MB. Other applications need half or quarter of it, but does it really matter? Any recent PC has at least 1 GB of RAM, where Windows usually only needs half of it.

While VBA 1.7.2 uses 15% of my CPU in Mario & Luigi Intro, VBA 2 only uses 10%. This could be explained by less functionality at the current state, but keep in mind VBA 2 does not use any assembler code at all. So speed-wise, the Qt GUI is on par with the MFC one. However, development with Qt is much much faster than with MFC, and the app can be compiled for all three OS (Windows, Linux, Mac). It is also unbelievable how little code is required compared to MFC or even worse Windows API. Qt's data structured use a technique to pass pointers to internal data rather than copying data around. And it helps prevent memory leaks by keeping track of all child objects any parent object created and delete them recursively when the parent object is deleted.

Here's the download to a current build for Windows:
http://code.google.com/p/gbxemu/downloads/detail?name=qt_runtime_461.7z&can=2&q=
http://code.google.com/p/gbxemu/downloads/detail?name=vba2_svn219.7z&can=2&q=

Extract the Qt runtime DLLs into the same folder where vba2.exe is located.

Keys are: qweasdyx + arrow keys

Disable VSync if you hear sound skips.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Thats still alot more than Wx needs. though i know Wx is a mess itself.

:p nd i still don't like the start/stop button based gui, its to PowerMac.....

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
you need to get into the irc chan more. madsy from gp2sx (i think its called) is looking to improve the arm abit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well i have a logo for the next VBA, i'm letting you a preview...

Main Logo

App Icon​

If you want to use it for your new VBA just let me know, i know that is too simple, but i think that VBA doesn't need something too complicated.

Greetings.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.