Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
IBM and Advanced Micro Devices have devised a new way of straining silicon--a design technique that improves chip performance--they claim will be cheaper, faster and easier to implement. Called "Dual Stress Liners," or DSL, the technique will ideally eliminate much of the complexity involved with strained silicon. Chips containing DSL are quietly already being sold, but both companies will start to use it in chips built on their 90-nanometer production processes in the first quarter, which will lead to greater proliferation.
read more in News.com

way to go AMD and IBM

i just have one single question... what chip does IBM develop taht we all know?

·
Registered
774 Posts
It's a good thing they're figuring stuff like this out, since they're having trouble pushing clock speeds further. So I take it Intel is out of the loop on this one?

·
<font color="#FF0066"><b>Advanced Newbie</b></font
5,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well, yeah they may be in trouble pushing the clock speed, but it isnt the only thing that matter u know :p

cheaper is the key word for me :p

·
Windows 8 Pro
1,148 Posts
IBM rents their fabs out for other companies to make chips on. A company like say, nVidia, may not have a fab of their own, or enough fabs for demand. So they will borrow some of IBM's idle fabs. They also make the CPU found in the Apple G5.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts