Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dell - Studio XPS Desktop with Intel® Core™ i7-920 Processor - SXPS-122B

This is my computer, but I just thought that it'd be nice to share this with everyone so people who have a 1000 dollar budget might consider this. Back when I bought it it came with a 20 inch lcd monitor and a printer for just 100 dollars or 150 dollars extra depending on if you wanted fax build in with the printer. It also includes the basic 1 year warranty for everything.

I doubt that it would be possible to build the same thing yourself without spending more money.

There are a few cons though. The case is kinda small so there isn't going to be too much upgrading with it. It also doesn't have two slots for a gpu so no crossfire or sli for those people who are thinking about doing that. Also, no overclocking the cpu or ram, The gpu can be overclocked though.. But there isn't much of a reason to overclock since the it already has a ****load of power. The psu is also on the small side. Its perfectly fine to power whats in this thing, but you'd have to change it if you want something with more power.

There is no printer or monitor deal as of now though. Back when this was being sold before the price drop of the radeon 4850 with the monitor and the printer (Both of which cost 200 when bought separatly) It was just an absolutely CRAZY deal. It's still a very good deal now. Also it comes with the OS which means that you saved even more money. you could see different configurations of it at Dell.com if you want more hdd space and stuff like that.

Also here is another deal, it's a little more expensive, and there isn't as much ram, but you can use crossfire and sli. The psu is also a lot better and its good enough to support just about any single card, but for crossfire you'll need to change the psu. The case is also bigger so you have more room for improvement. It's $1099

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...A?skuId=9081325&type=product&id=1218017465909

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The mobo is a dell mobo. The ram is good at 1066MHz because the only way to use 1333MHz ram or higher is if you overclock, or if you use the i7 965 Extreme Edition. Using high clocked ram would be a waste of money.

The Dell system is very stable. No problems so far. I don't have the Gateway so I can't say. Dell also has some great customer service. And having a 1 year warranty on everything is a great plus.

· Registered
1,658 Posts
*facepalm*

Telling people of a forum ,where almost everybody is in to overclocking and big time performance, to buy a almost 0% overclockable system is stupid

Good stuff have more warranty than just 1 year

Dell pc 's are crap

all that hardware is low quality

Your system should die just after the warranty ends

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
This system costs 999 dollars. The equivalent of this would cost many hundreds of dollars more.

Thje i7 is perfectly fine not overclocked. If someone wants an overclockable system then its okay. I'm just showing this so people can be aware of it. And overclocked Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad still isn't better than an i7, unless you have an absolutely crazy overclock. The i7 overclocks itself as well. Even though its a small overclock.

*facepalm*

Telling people of a forum ,where almost everybody is in to overclocking and big time performance, to buy a almost 0% overclockable system is stupid

Good stuff have more warranty than just 1 year

Dell pc 's are crap

all that hardware is low quality

Your system should die just after the warranty ends
Also the extened warranty lasts for 3 years on all of the parts in the pc. Thats what I have.

Also the Radeon 4850 is not low quality. The i7 is not low quality. A 640 GB Western digital harddrive is not low quality. the ram also has some good timings. 7-7-7-20.

?and if something were to break down,
This pc still has a 3 year warranty. Why would they sell a pc that they know would break down, with a 3 year warranty? Thats cheating yourself out of money. And this is 3 years parts and labor. Which means that they have to come to my house, and replace what broke down, without me paying them.

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Hmm. Well this was mainly for people who can buy from best buy in america.

Most people actually do a little upgrade every 2 years

a decent Core i7 mobo costs a lot and same goes for DDR3 ram
No, most people buy pre builts, and they don't know a thing about upgrading there system. I know how to upgrade my ram and gpu, and I could probably do my HDD but I have no idea how to make a whole system. The average person has never opened up a computer system.

And I do know that an i7 mobo and ddr3 ram is expensive(DDR3 ram has come down in price A LOT though, and the i7 mobos too) Thats why I'm showing this to the people on this board. Some people might just not care about overclocking their ram and cpu.

· Registered
1,658 Posts
yes that is sort of right for the average user but in india prices are already going through the roof for decent pc from companies like compaq and dell

Its better to build a pc on your own here

a 1333MHz 3 gb DDR3 ram costs about 120$ = Rs6000 here

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
See lots of DDR3 ram 6 GB for less than 100. And lots of them are at 1333 or 1600

Well people in this forum like to build things themselves. A member like RAP might be able to build something like this or maybe better with that money.
Yeah I could see the fun in building yourself. Plus You have exactly what you wanted and you know about everything you bought. This deal used to be 100% unbeatable. On Dell .com they are even selling some configurations at 799. And i7 build for 800 dollars is absolutely amazing.

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Well people in this forum like to build things themselves. A member like RAP might be able to build something like this or maybe better with that money.
Yeah, but for people who can't build anything all by themselves, I guess this comes as a juicy deal. :)

Anyway... mmm... I guess I can break something down like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz ($280)
RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($100)
Motherboard: MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366 ($190)
VGA: MSI R4850-2D512-OC Radeon HD 4850 512MB ($110)
HDD: Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache ($70)
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower W0121RU 600W ($80)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ($60)

Total thus far: $770

Throw in a DVD-RW drive and you're up to $800. :)

Well, now... we move on with a OEM copy of Vista Business 64-bit at $140: Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP1 64-bit for System Builders DVD

And that's up to $940. Now add a 20" LCD:

Acer X203H bd Black 20" 16:9 ($140)

And you're up to $1080. Printer with fax:

HP Officejet J3680 CB071A Up to 20 ppm 4800 x 1200 dpi ($50)

Will bring you to exactly $1130.

But those are quick Newegg prices, so you might be able to get these components for even cheaper elsewhere with some decent research. :) You get an extra 2GB of RAM and true tri-channel RAM, and an Antec 300 case for pretty much the same money.

· The Hunter
17,202 Posts
Can't go against RAP's logic. It's a great system for anyone who doesn't want to do anything with the system's hardware other than simply use it. Install it and presto. What would bother me though is the trashware that may possibly be installed with the OS. Upgradability may be limited as well because of a power supply and all.

· Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
The printer doesn't have the scanner, but even then so far iots a very good deal where you get much better quality parts.

I'm also amazed to see a 4850 at 110 dollars. Back when I bought this the 4850 was 200 dollars.

Can't go against RAP's logic. It's a great system for anyone who doesn't want to do anything with the system's hardware other than simply use it. Install it and presto. What would bother me though is the trashware that may possibly be installed with the OS. Upgradability may be limited as well because of a power supply and all.
Trashware wasn't too bad. Plus they give you an OS disk for reinstallation so you could easily start fresh. They give 15 months of free Trend Micro internet security. And the Dell edition Roxio. I uninstalled roxio and trend micro though, and use other things as replacements. It also comes with a dell dock thats kinda like the mac os x dock, there are probably better docks, but as of now I'm keeping it since I don't feel like putting all my items back on a new dock. I'll get rid of it later though. The dock is kinda buggy. But it works for now.

Oh, I guess the printer wasn't 200 dollars the normal price is 100.

Newegg sells it for 40 dollars which is less than the one you have. Prices of ram and motherboards have dropped so fast. And the vga cards. New things are just coming out at fast speed too.

Newegg.com - Recertified: Canon PIXMA MX310 2184B017AA Up to 22 ppm 4800 x 1200 dpi InkJet MFC / All-In-One Color Printer

· Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Uhhh, don't you void your Dell warranty if you open it up?

Oh, and it's plainly obvious prebuilt PCs motherboards are crap. Were you really expecting something decent in the case? They always have locked BIOSs too. Not to mention PSUs that make me uncomfortable.

The days of prebuilts are fading. I'm seeing more and more people head to the local computer store to put together something decent from good parts. Hell, even my older brother knows how to put the hardware together...I just do all the software installing for him :lol:

· Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Yeah, but for people who can't build anything all by themselves, I guess this comes as a juicy deal. :)

Anyway... mmm... I guess I can break something down like this:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz ($280)
RAM: OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) ($100)
Motherboard: MSI X58 Pro LGA 1366 ($190)
VGA: MSI R4850-2D512-OC Radeon HD 4850 512MB ($110)
HDD: Seagate ST3640323AS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache ($70)
PSU: Thermaltake Purepower W0121RU 600W ($80)
Case: Antec Three Hundred ($60)

Total thus far: $770

Throw in a DVD-RW drive and you're up to $800. :)

Well, now... we move on with a OEM copy of Vista Business 64-bit at $140: Microsoft Windows Vista Business SP1 64-bit for System Builders DVD

And that's up to $940. Now add a 20" LCD:

Acer X203H bd Black 20" 16:9 ($140)

And you're up to $1080. Printer with fax:

HP Officejet J3680 CB071A Up to 20 ppm 4800 x 1200 dpi ($50)

Will bring you to exactly $1130.

But those are quick Newegg prices, so you might be able to get these components for even cheaper elsewhere with some decent research. :) You get an extra 2GB of RAM and true tri-channel RAM, and an Antec 300 case for pretty much the same money.
The pirate edition of that build is only $990

· Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Yep, and not to mention Dell came close to the price of a self-built system so I guess it's not too bad.

Specs-wise, though, I suspect the Dell case wouldn't be too swell for cooling, and the PSU would most likely be a 450W-500W one since a Core i7 system at stock with a HD4850 wouldn't need more than that. Hell, I ran a 4GHz Core 2 Quad with a HD4870 on a 450W PSU. :p

Trashware might be quite a problem, though... some are just plain annoying though you can uninstall most of them. You'd be amazed at how fast you can make your system go if you take out all of the unnecessary components. :)

And remember its a Dell ..
Well, their netbooks and a few laptops are Hackintosh candidates so I can't really diss them for that. :D Would have cost me a whole lot more building a custom case, a custom battery pack and a few hours of labor making my own systems... too... but I plan on doing that someday... When I have enough free time.

I'm also amazed to see a 4850 at 110 dollars. Back when I bought this the 4850 was 200 dollars.
I was tempted to throw in a HD 4770... because it would run much cooler, much quieter, and still as fast... and it's roughly $100 now. It will go down even lower. For a couple of more bucks, you might be able to find a HD4870 for $150. No kidding, stuffs are coming down faster than a meteor.

Actually, prices have been like that for several months. Truthfully, I could find these prices back 6 months ago. Right now, they're much slower, but ehh... you can't dispute Newegg's business practices. Even if they are more expensive, their shipping is reliable, and their RMA process is pleasant, too.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.