Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently, I am learning the C language, we have already learned the basics, and we are starting to go into more complicated stuff. I don't have the logic and/or the tools to program my own emulator, but I was wondering if anyone here who knows how to program an emulator can give me the basic concepts, like preliminary steps (ie. if i have to extract data from the console, download some other programs that make everything easier, etc.).

If asking something like this is EXTEMELY ridiculous, and/or if u CAN'T help me. Showing me a place i can find out how would be very helpful (I have my brother googling it right now as I'm typing this).

Thanks in advance for any help, and if googling this is the only way that can help me, I would appreciate being told that, so i know whether anyone is READING this, or if it's just being skipped over because nobody cares.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Depends of the emulator, most of then requires you to (when you start making it) HAVE A GREAT KNOWLEDGE OF C/C++, AND I SAY GREAT!!.
After you are some kind of genious of the programming on C/C++
You need to Learn assembler, wich is a pain in the ass.

And then, you start looking for documents on the consoles, from a simple stupid page with features, to a complex document set. Its HARD, is something that you will not find on "pure google" (well, on old consoles, maybe you will) but most provably you will walk around thousands of sites, will use a lot of downloading softwares, only to collect some stupid informations that will not help you very much, but will give you a "hand".

In other words man, dont take me bad, but if you are starting C, try to make your own game, its easier than to emulate a console, trust me.

·
Registered
4 Posts
pred please dont code own games. it will s*** anyway ;)
emulation is a good thing! if you dont try, youll never finish anything. dont listen to the others but me :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the help guys (or girls). I'm not sure if i can really program my OWN emulator, but i figured if i looked at the code of some old emulator, like a game boy one, it would help me see some of the real life applications to the problems we're solving in class. I know that if i DO attempt my own emulator, it's gonna be crap at best XD. but i got a feeling that i WILL try sometime soon.

·
Registered
2 Posts
pred11586 said:
Thank you for the help guys (or girls). I'm not sure if i can really program my OWN emulator, but i figured if i looked at the code of some old emulator, like a game boy one, it would help me see some of the real life applications to the problems we're solving in class. I know that if i DO attempt my own emulator, it's gonna be crap at best XD. but i got a feeling that i WILL try sometime soon.
Just prepare yourself man, and you can go far!!
But the problem is, most of the times, the "oldness" of the console, dont make it easier to code an emulator, of course there are more help, more documents, but it still very hard, sometimes even harder than new ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts