Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello to everyone out there !
I am planning to upgrade my video card, riva tnt2 m64 that I bought a few months ago, to a geforce 2 mx or mx 400. I live in mexico so you will know they are more expensive than usa. Would you recommend me this ? They cost like $ 125 down here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,506 Posts
Well I'd wait a little. From what I heard the next nvidia card is due soon which always means that the existing cards will be available at a cheaper price. I'll check that magazine again when I found it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,238 Posts
If you are going to buy one of those two cards, I wouldn t buy the Gforce MX400, I ve heard it had very bad ram on it...
The Gforce 2mx 200 would be a good choice..
But, i agree w/ Betamax, waiting is best solution, christmas is coming, companies will drop the prices...

Bye
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
6,283 Posts
Originally posted by Rargh
If you are going to buy one of those two cards, I wouldn t buy the Gforce MX400, I ve heard it had very bad ram on it...
The Gforce 2mx 200 would be a good choice..
But, i agree w/ Betamax, waiting is best solution, christmas is coming, companies will drop the prices...

Bye
I guess you got wrong Rargh,it's the GeForce 2 mx 200 which sucks,not the 400,the 400 has performences equal to a normal GF2mx.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Originally posted by dhkim
the difference the difference please ?
well i don't know the difference...
why don't u buy geforce2 gts??i heard it was good...


i'm buying a new videocard,too.
but i don't know wish Vcard should i buy????
i was thinking about buying geforce 3 ti500 but it is so expensive!!!!!
I want a good VCARD...can u help me choosing one???


:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, can't buy geforce 2 gts. They're pretty expensive here ( almost 200 ). Anyway, I've got a geforce 2 mx 400 64mg. It works just nice.

How can I overclock my video card ? I've heard overclocking this video card can achieve the performance of a gts.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
I was stuck with this same dilemma a week ago and I decided to go with a GeForce 2 GTS. It was 50% more expensive than the GeForce 2 MX 400 but it was worth it(actually the card was a GeForce 2 Pro [as can be seen in my specs] although it was advertised as a GTS). If you can squeeze out a couple more bucks I highly recommend a GF2 GTS or Pro. With the release of the GF3, prices have plummeted to outrageous levels (original price of GF2 GTS = $429, now = $169, CDN pricing).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,307 Posts
> With the release of the GF3 prices have plummeted to outrageous levels

Yep. Definitely an economical way to get very good cards.
 

·
<B><font color="lightyellow" size = "1">A BIG BAD
Joined
·
5,568 Posts
that's right, if you follow nvidia's six month product cycle, you'll know when and when not to buy nvidia cards, at least on a price standpoint anyway.. or whatever it was i was saying.. coz i seem to have forgotten what it was.. ehehe:heh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Originally posted by dhkim
hello to everyone out there !
I am planning to upgrade my video card, riva tnt2 m64 that I bought a few months ago, to a geforce 2 mx or mx 400. I live in mexico so you will know they are more expensive than usa. Would you recommend me this ? They cost like $ 125 down here.
$125

thats too expensive

ge force mx series should be lower than $60
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
362 Posts
Re: Re: I need your advices on this please

i'm buying THE GF3...that is a good choise??

well i think it is...is a bit expensive but i think it will do just fine...

any one know the gf3 price in europe??

thanks;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
632 Posts
THE Diff. in of MX400 nad MX200 according to my inno3d mx400 manual

mx400 64mb mx200 64 mb
mem bus 128 bits 128bits
gpu core 200mhz 175mhz
mem clk 166 166
ramdac 350mhz 350mhz
mem
bandwith 2.7gb/s 1.3gb/s
fill rate 400m pixel/s 350m pixel/s
800m texel/s 700m texel/s
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
25 Posts
The Real Deal

Here's what really matters when you're buying a video card:

Keep in mind that there is no standard for specs.
Most specs you see out there don't mean jack.
While they advertise that a card can do 25 million poly/sec & unlimited hardware lights, what they fail to mention, is that it can't do both at the same time. You get the idea. The main things you want to look for are the RAMDAC speed, MEM Core speed, MEM Bandwidth, and AGP specs. Now, the other specs might be useful for comparison, but just remember that they are optimum, theoretical maximums, and have no *real* bearing on real-world performance. They represent what the card "should" be able to do. But again, they list the abilities assuming that that's all the card will be doing at one time, so specs represent the cards FULL processing power performing that ONE action, which (needless to say) doesn't happen in a real-world app.

RAMDAC speed is going to have the most effect on overall speed, with the memory bandwidth limiting the card's texturing ability.
The new GF2 GTS is a good buy with a RAM bandwidth of about 1.7G/sec. If you really want some power, you can go with the GF2 pro which has super-fast ram at like 3.2G/sec. I have a Geforce 2 GTS & I love it. I will eventually upgrade to a GF3, but like someone else pointed out, you have to watch nVidia's product cycle and wait until the price comes down enough. Anyone looking at a GF3 should hold off a few more months, cause you're gonna see the price start to drop about $200
 

·
8+ Years
Joined
·
2,796 Posts
Ok...look! Geforce 2 mx 200 sucks and so does 400 (Im using a 400) I think all Geforce 2 series suck. Just buy a Voodoo 5 off ebay like me and fivefeet8 :) It rocks. And Its $125 there? Whoa!!! I bought mine for $80
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
6,338 Posts
Re: The Real Deal

Originally posted by Cerberus
RAMDAC speed is going to have the most effect on overall speed, with the memory bandwidth limiting the card's texturing ability.
The new GF2 GTS is a good buy with a RAM bandwidth of about 1.7G/sec. If you really want some power, you can go with the GF2 pro which has super-fast ram at like 3.2G/sec. I have a Geforce 2 GTS & I love it. I will eventually upgrade to a GF3, but like someone else pointed out, you have to watch nVidia's product cycle and wait until the price comes down enough. Anyone looking at a GF3 should hold off a few more months, cause you're gonna see the price start to drop about $200
I think there are some inaccuracies in your post. First of all the RAMDAC speed doesn't have any effect on 3D graphics what-so-ever. All it determines is how fast graphics (2D or 3D) can be drawn to the screen. Most modern videocard have a RAMDAC of 350 Mhz or higher which should be more than enough to display full frames at 1600x1200 or higher (provided the videocard can run that fast). Second, the memory bandwidth of the GF2 GTS is MUCH higher than you've posted. On Nvidia's site it claims a memory bandwidth of 5.3 GB/s, which is pretty close to its actual performance. The GeForce 2 Pro is a bit higher, at 6.4 GB/s, since it uses 200 Mhz memory instead of the 166 Mhz of the GTS. I have a GeForce 2 Pro and I can testify that the memory is not more advanced than the GTS, it just runs faster. I think memory speed is the most important thing to consider on modern day videocards. The GF2's primary performance bottleneck is its memory, as can be shown in benchmarks of the GF2 GTS and GF2 Ultra (30% improvement in speed).
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top