Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay, i, unfortunately, bought a pc one and a half years ago, that has 700MHz celeron,256Mbram,an Intel intergrated i810 graphics which i had upgraded to a tnt2 pro pci card hafl a year ago since the agp slot is used by the intergrated video. Now im considering another upgrade.........but what should i upgrade? you cant get any good pci graphics cards anymore, and ive already got enough ram as it is........man oh man, "sniff sniff":cry:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
I think the best solution now is to upgrade your MoBo (you could still retain most, if not all, of your other peripherals), then get a GF2MX.... or ditch the celery and get an Athlon processor + Mobo ;)

What's the brand of your current MoBo, btw?

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
okay, well first of all, i cant use amd cpus on an intel intergrated graphics motherboard, i cant find a geforce that uses a pci bus, man, why did i get conned in to buying intergrated graphics?
besides these things, i could dashed the whole mobo and get a new one, but how much would that cost me? remember im from england so say pounds not dollars! and i think my current mobo is from microstar.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oops again.....

sorry kairi00, i dont think i read your reply properly, man dis isnt my day, non?
any ways how much would a new motherboard cost me?(my current motherboard is from microstar on intergrated graphics)
in £ not $!:eyes:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Originally posted by sonicfoot
okay, well first of all, i cant use amd cpus on an intel intergrated graphics motherboard, i cant find a geforce that uses a pci bus, man, why did i get conned in to buying intergrated graphics?
besides these things, i could dashed the whole mobo and get a new one, but how much would that cost me? remember im from england so say pounds not dollars! and i think my current mobo is from microstar.
What I meant was ditching the celery *and* the mobo and get a new Athlon + Mobo.. not slapping the AMD processor on your intel Mobo ;) ... I don't know how much it costs there, but in Canada, an AthlonXP 1600+ with a KT266A Mobo plus 256MB DDR SDRAM sets you back about $470 CAD which translates to roughly 208 GBP.

If you're only upgrading your MoBo to, say, to a VIA-based P3/Celery mobo, then it costs about $140 CAD, which is 62 GBP more or less.... your choice ;) What's your budget?

Microstar? do you happen to know the model number n' such? I'm just curious.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whoa! all i can stretch at the moment is £100! but if i save for 1 and haf months more i could get the lot;)
anyway you dont have to have a processor thats 1600mhz now do you? wouldnt just a gig do well?
as for athlon, id definetly get one over an intel chip.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh yeah, forgot to mention that all i know about my motherboard id that its made by microstar with an award modular bios v 6.00PG
sos.

·
Registered
624 Posts
he he, don't know why, but I'm still loyal to intel... hehe, must be my previous experience with other CPU's...:yawn: :yawn:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well..............then again it depends on which angle youre looking at. Im at an angle sitting with my intel celeron that doent seem to be doing much for me, whilst cheaper amd cpus tend to be doing much better. I dont neccersarilly have anything against intel, i mean, on the other hand, if i had a choice between an athlon xp or p4, anyone of them would do since they are both really fast, as one problem with technology now is that some things are too fast now other than slow.
(do i write too much nonesense?)

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
whoa! all i can stretch at the moment is ?00! but if i save for 1 and haf months more i could get the lot;)
anyway you dont have to have a processor thats 1600mhz now do you? wouldnt just a gig do well?
as for athlon, id definetly get one over an intel chip.
There are PCI versions of the GeForce 2 MX as well as the Voodoo 4/5, which would be the best upgrade for your system (considering you're a 3D gamer). Otherwise I'd consider getting a Pentium 3 Coppermine, which would be the best upgrade for your system without having to get a new mobo.

BTW, the Athlon XP 1600+ doesn't run at 1.6 Ghz, it runs at 1.4 Ghz. It's a model system AMD is using to combat the P4's high clock speeds. It was instituted to make customers think their processors run at a higher clock speed than they actually do, thereby, increasing their appeal.

·
Registered
2,162 Posts
PIII's are great chips, but P4's are crap....Intel really blew it with them.

And as for the AthlonXp's...even running at 1.4 it still outperforms a P4 2 gig.... Heck the PIII 1.4 gig outperforms the P4.

Best advice get a Duron 1 gig and Mb for a little over $100 USD not sure the exchange rate but it would be the best deal for you.

things to watch for when getting a MB, check your existing case to see if it's mATX or ATX (mATX is smaller and won't hold a full size ATX board.) Also make sure your exisiting Power supply can handle the newer CPU's 300 watt's minimum!!

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
Once someone gets an 810 the best upgrade is to buy a new pc.I am telling you this due to my own experience.Now it depends on you and your available resources what new pc you gonna buy.

·
Registered
900 Posts
via intel boards are the worst crap ever made. P4 northwood is coming. Should make up for what p4 willy lacked. a ballsack. well atleast it will cost as much as the yams. anyway, Intel should just drop everything 32 and massmarket itanium. no more 32 bit crap. please.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i agree with about me buying a new pc all together, but the thing is theres no pint me buying a new pc when ive only had this one for just about a year, plus the fact that my dad put a lot of money in for the 5yrs guarantee, and as for getting a geforce 2mx pci or a voodoo 4/5 pci, i cant find them in england where i live, ill have to import them which im not to keen on doing, thats why i ended up getting a tnt2 pro pci card .I could opt for a cpu upgrade option which all of you seem to be telling me which i could do now, but im not sure how many MHzs i could go up to on an i810. oh and "dpence" how do i know if ive got mATX or ATX case?

(hey, im the only one whos British here?)

·
Registered
5,442 Posts
I could opt for a cpu upgrade option which all of you seem to be telling me which i could do now, but im not sure how many MHzs i could go up to on an i810.
You can go upto 850 mhz on i810.Similarly you can go upto 933mhz on 810E.
I think its not worth upgrading from 700 mhz to 850 mhz.I am also not sure that an i810 supports overclocking or not (havent tried it myself).If it does you can definitely try it.

Just a small question- Did Tnt2 gave better d3d performance than the integrated graphics card ? My 810 gives very good results with pete's d3d plugins though.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yup, 3d games using petes plugins improved with the tnt2 pro pci, much better than the i810, but 2d games come out slow though. before street fighter alpha 3 worked fast on the 810 an spider-man came slow, now spiderman comes fast and street fighter alpha 3 comes slightly slower thats on epsxe, but on connectix vgs win, i got a performance boost in everything!
no intergrated video supports cpu overclocking,(none that i know of), and you said that i could upgrade to 850 mhz, do you mean by a p3 or celeron?
at the present i have a celeron 700MHz

·
Registered
624 Posts
As for celerons they are the crappiest thing ever created in the processor ind, since the AMD Clones in 386, 486, and pentium days. even if you get a 500 Mhz PIII you'll get better performance in general compared to what you get with your 700 Mhz celeron processor, especially in the 3D graphics, and even 2D arena. But I don't agree with some people about P4 being worse than AMD, I think they have their + and - each one; but let's see when Intel Start to produce a chipset that support the DDR PC 2xx memory!! I even heard that there are some chipsets that support PC400!!! he he, the time will tell!!!!!!

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
All I can say is that I spent roughly 185 dollars total on a total refurbish of my system, including the parts you see below and some sundries like thermal paste and reconditioning the power supply.

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
Originally posted by ebola
via intel boards are the worst crap ever made. P4 northwood is coming. Should make up for what p4 willy lacked. a ballsack. well atleast it will cost as much as the yams. anyway, Intel should just drop everything 32 and massmarket itanium. no more 32 bit crap. please.
There are big expectations of Northwood but I think it'll still perform somewhat mediocre. The P4's biggest performance problem right now is with its extensive 20-stage pipeline. As a result it gets less work done per clock, and if it mispredicts data then it has to flush the entire pipeline during which time it can't process any data. However, it also allows for very high clock frequencies. Therefore, the P4 will never win on a clock-per-clock basis with the P3 and Athlon, but it can reach much higher clock speeds. AMD will probably have to implement a longer pipeline into the Hammer if it's to compete with the P4 on a clock basis.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts