Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you guys hook me up with good ideas for a nice headset? I need it to be under 30 but still decent. My current one works fine for listening but the microphone is shot to hell.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
If you have a PC with Bluetooth built in, then you should try a Bluetooth headset made for cell phones. If your computer doesn't have Bluetooth built in, you can always get one of those micro Bluetooth USB adapters for less than $20. It's always good to have one of those anyways to upload/download stuff from your cell phone. I use mine to upload mobile pron so I can have my pron on-the-go. In some places, you can find a Bluetooth headset for around $20-30. I plan to start using mine when I get back into online multiplayer when I download L4D to play with the NGEmu guys. I look forward to using mine because of the wireless factor so I can take a dump or smoke a cigarette while still chatting with the guys.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
....you can do that? I mean like a headset, for like WOW, Team Fortress 2 and all sorts of other games, you can use a bluetooth headset for that?

I didn't know.

Well now I do, o_O

·
Banned
200 Posts
Well I've found Plantronics Headsets are really good audio quality and cheap $20 CDN for the one I just picked up, audio quality is excellent , the mic is noise canceling which always helps if you are on ventrilo or teamspeak with your friends/team and don't want them to hear your case/background sound just your voice

Plantronics Gaming Headset (.Audio 370)

I've also heard good things about Skullcandy and I had some really nice Sennheisers for a while until the cord managed to splice/break into 2 pieces

You can get a top of the line 5.1 headset though it'll run you about $65 and over

Unfortunately I don't have a link to that headset though the Plantronics GAMECON1 is just as good

Newegg.com - PLANTRONICS GAMECOM1 67003-01 3.5mm Circumaural Stereo Gaming Headset

Creative makes a line of FATAL1TY headsets, supposed to be "by gamers" "for gamers" though I personally can't recommend it cause Creative has horrible drivers for alot of there products so I imagine they'd probably screw up Headsets somehow as well, Logitech makes some fancy dancy headsets as well though you are looking at the $60 plus range again and really not worth the extra money

The 3 top 5.1 Headset Brands at the moment are TRITTON, ZALMAN and RAZER and you are looking at paying an excessive amount just for a headset, close to $150 for some models

Hope this helps

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
Well, I plan to use Skype to chat with others while ingame (the quality is much superior to the quality of Steam's voice chat), but it should work with those games that you mentioned.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Not sure how much they are but check out the SteelSeries 3H as well as the Logitech Clearchat series.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well here's the thing, gentlemen. I'm not too awful sure that my current headphones are the problem for you see, Vista has very poor sound implementation. I've got every volume bar cranked to the max and I still can barely hear my current mic.

BUT I do know it's staticy, people on TF2 told me it was; so it is but they seemed to hear me, and could make out a few things I said.

So is it the mic? or Vista? BOTH?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
It's the mic or your internet connection.
It's not Vista, I have it and other than it basically never registering the mic (it's always disabled because only one device can be on at a time thanks to my Creative sound card and drivers and it's Aux Sound is always on).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts