Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading so much about the benefits I decided to lap my CPU.
Keep in mind this voids warranty.

Here's my CPU before. I just pulled it from my system in this pic. You can see from the uneven contact imprint in the arctic silver that the heat spread isn't very uniform.

Here's my CPU all cleaned up.

Here's the required materials.
-Sheet of glass or a mirror as a working surface
-Isopropyl alcohol
-Sandpaper in varying grains. In my case I had 400, 600, 1000, 1500, and 2000
-Cotton balls for cleaning afterwards
-Tape to secure everything

Here's the 400 grit sandpaper prepped on the sheet of glass.

I sanded in straight back and forth motions, not using too much or too little pressure. After 8 swipes or so I'd rotate the CPU 90 degrees. This is halfway though. You can see the nickel plating has worn off in some areas and not others. This shows how the heat spreader was not a uniform surface.

I keep sanding until the nickel is gone and only copper is showing on the surface

Next the 600 grain paper, same procedure

Next the 1000

I apologize, I missed the picture for 1500. However, for 1500 and 2000 I switched to gentle and consistent figure 8 motions on the paper, keeping even pressure on the cpu.

Here's the finished product after 2000 grain and cleaning:

I will post temp differences when the AS5 sets a little bit. But so far the difference is already very noticable.

Disclaimer: Don't do this. If you mess up your CPU I told you not to do this. There.

·
Better be better than yesterday
4,098 Posts
Nice mirror cpu. Did you try to shave in front of?

More seriously, what are the benefits and also the inconveniences of the operation?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
Disadvantages:
1.) You can destroy your CPU if you sand too far into the die surface. (To the point where you're "sanding" the core. Gotta sand pretty far in to it though.)
2.) It takes a while to properly do it. (It's wise to step up the sandpaper grit little by little until you're using a "finishing" grit.)

Advantages:
Removing the nickel coating to expose the copper beneath it allows for improved heat dissipation since copper is a better conductor. (If you're serious about overclocking, then this might be for you!)

@Spyhop
That pic with Mirror's Edge and your lapped CPU is awesome! Looks artsy...:thumb:

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
intel and amd could (should) have the extreme and BE cores lapped by default.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Advantages:
Removing the nickel coating to expose the copper beneath it allows for improved heat dissipation since copper is a better conductor. (If you're serious about overclocking, then this might be for you!)
Not exactly. The nickel would have served just as well. Intel's heat spreaders by default are not completely flat. They're brushed metal and they're usually slightly warped from manufacturing in some way. (non-detectable by the naked eye). If you look in some of my first pictures, some parts of the nickel sand away before other parts because the surface is uneven.

Lapping completely smooths out the heat plate, allowing for better contact and conductivity with the heatsink. You're supposed to lap you heatsink as well, but mine came pre-lapped so I didn't have to.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Noice :thumb:

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Lapping should get you a 3-6c drop. But more importantly, your chip should sustain heat better. Nvidia laps there chips defualt :p

Spyhop, your next step is to lap your cpu cooler :)

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Some manufacturers purposely give their heatsink bases an outward concave nowadays. The TRUE is done that way so owners won't have to lap their CPU to get the best contact. But most of the after market heatsinks out there have mirror finishes themselves too so lapping usually generates a good drop in temperatures :)

I did it with my old E6600 cause even at stock and idle it was ridiculously hot. Arm was sore the next day though :dead:

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Lapping should get you a 3-6c drop. But more importantly, your chip should sustain heat better. Nvidia laps there chips defualt :p

Spyhop, your next step is to lap your cpu cooler :)
It was pre-lapped

Btw, if anyone decides to do this, either wear a mask or wet down the paper. I have terrible cold-like symptoms from the fine copper dust and, reading on the topic, it sounds like I'm gonna be this way for half a week or so. Whoops.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Is a lapped CPU always meant to have a mirror finnish like that?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Does the mirror finnish not make it harder to apply the thermal greeze though as the surface is then more slippery?

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Ah, well I have never applied thermal grease before, it just looks as if it has become far more slippery, anyways thanks for clearing that up and thanks for the info from the start anyways. If I ever feel reckless with my chip I will look this thread up again.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, the Arctic Silver 5 still has a few days left to set properly, but I'm changing some fans tonight so here's the numbers I have on the lapped CPU now.

These are at stock speeds.

Core temp at full load (5min Orthos) before: 54C
Core temp at full load (5min Orthos) after: 46C

And I'm still expecting to drop a degree or two over the next few days.
Well worth it :)

1 - 20 of 44 Posts