Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
2,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great movie. I just thought I'd tell the LOTR fans. It's good, and helped clearify the book for me a bit. Worth seeing and buying. It's inspired me to finish reading the second book........well, that's all.

· Registered
12,014 Posts
Heh, another thread on a forum I'm on is about people who DON'T like the movie. There aren't very many posts, and I think I have about half of them (mostly proving why they're wrong). I think one of the people said the only book they liked from Tolkien was The Hobbit (er...ok).

· Registered
1,935 Posts
Ryos, I want you to get my the address of everyone on that forum who didn't like the movie so I can exile them to Siberia. We must weed out the unbelievers!

As for The Hobbit... I hope you're not saying you didn't like it, 'cause it's a great little adventure story. But to prefer it over LOTR... ack.

· Registered
12,014 Posts
Yeah. I probably will after having a set of books of my own and, in theory, I've gotten more intelligent since then. And you can send the KGB, but I can always pull the G.W. BUSH IS MY HERO sticker out from somewhere to make them all retreat in horror.

· Registered
1,935 Posts
> I can always pull the G.W. BUSH IS MY HERO sticker out from somewhere to make them all retreat in horror.

Piffle! I'll arm my boys with the "I WANT TO FATHER YELTSIN'S CHILDREN" sticker. You'll crumple in 2 seconds flat!

· Registered
12,014 Posts
That's too evil, Asfaloth. Hmm...I know, the I AM ONE OF MICHAEL JACKSON'S RINGBEARERS lapel pin should counteract that, provided I don't get a one on the d20 roll. Knowing my luck, I WOULD get the one. :(

· Registered
12,014 Posts
BTW, FotR seems to not be doing as well as I had hoped.

"New Line's Lord of the Rings rang up an estimated $45.25 million in ticket sales over the three-day weekend in North America -- in line with analysts' forecasts. It set a new record for a December debut, beating the $38.1-million start of Ocean's Eleven just two weeks ago. (Titanic grossed $28.6 million when it opened during the same weekend four years ago.) Together with Wednesday and Thursday sales, the film grossed $73.1 million and could pass $100 million by the time Christmas Day ends."

· Registered
1,935 Posts
I wouldn't worry.

1) The movie is three hours long, which limits the number of screenings per day.
2) The movie is playing on fewer screens than, say, Harry Potter.
3) The movie has gotten extremely good reviews and word-of-mouth.
4) People are going to see it several times because apparently it gets better the second time.

All this means that while it won't have a massive opening, TPM-style, it will have a long and prosperous run a la Titanic. Also, with the New Year's extended weekend coming up, not to mention the extended weekend we're in right now, people will have lots of opportunities to see it with their families. Have no fear, chappy, FOTR will kick the pudding out of that other wizard.

· Registered
12,014 Posts
As yet another btw, I just read more of the post from the person who said he only liked The Hobbit and found: "I wouldn't say that I disliked the movie, however it was not as great as I thought it would be. I think I was just psyched from the recent fantastic transition of Harry Potter from book to movie and expected too much." ARGH. >_<

· Registered
1,935 Posts
> I think I was just psyched from the recent fantastic transition of Harry Potter from book to movie and expected too much.

That's it, where's my napalm?

> All these idiots saying "I liked Harry 'Elementary Witchcraft 101' Potter more than FotR" is really bugging me.

I think Roger Ebert is the only one (aside from your mentally challenged friend) who liked Harry "I'm a sissy English boy that steals from Tolkien" Potter better than FotR. No one likes the fat greasetub anyway.

· Registered
4,342 Posts
Merry Christmas. I've been playing around six hours of FFX everday for the last five days or so. Awesome game. Neways, I'm going to watch LOTR again this week. After all, you're going to miss the movie screen of a theatre after watching it on TV when it comes out.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.