Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 142 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the boonies, yes the curved; high-incline roads throughout Southwestern Virginia; down south. I have been damned to using DSL for years, but now; my brethren, a company known as Embarq is offering me high-speed broadband service; 20% cheaper than what I'm using now.

I can't even play TF2 or any online game with this connection. I'm strait pathetic. :cry:

My steam games shall be resurrected and the torrents shall breathe new life to my PC once more.

I'm so happy I could cry.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I live in the boonies, yes the curved; high-incline roads throughout Southwestern Virginia; down south. I have been damned to using DSL for years, but now; my brethren, a company known as Embarq is offering me high-speed broadband service; 20% cheaper than what I'm using now.

I can't even play TF2 or any online game with this connection. I'm strait pathetic. :cry:

My steam games shall be resurrected and the torrents shall breathe new life to my PC once more.

I'm so happy I could cry.
Um, DSL is broadband....usually low latency too. Are you maybe confusing it with dialup?

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
As mention before, DSL is indeed broadband' but maybe his area is so remote that he gets spotty service.

·
...and now they do.
20,002 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about divorce.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I thought this was going to be a thread about divorce.

Divorce? i was thinking he was taken hostage by 12 beautiful women.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
I really don't see how people need more then 2mbps speed. Its MORE then enough for online gaming and streaming videos. Besides, I don't think most servers even give that high download speeds anyway.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
I really don't see how people need more then 2mbps speed. Its MORE then enough for online gaming and streaming videos. Besides, I don't think most servers even give that high download speeds anyway.
You've obviously never felt the speed of a 50 mbit fiber connection

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I just now that cable = god.
Cable usually has higher available bandwidth but not by a large degree. The trade off is that you, on a cable connection, will be on a shared loop with many other customers, making you susceptible to high traffic saturation from your neighbors.

On a DSL connection you're on your own private loop directly to the nearest pedestal or ERA. So it doesn't matter what your neighbors are doing. Latency is usually much lower on DSL, too, making it better for online gaming.

I really don't see how people need more then 2mbps speed.
We need it for that which cannot be named on this forum

1 - 20 of 142 Posts