Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fastest mechanical SATA hard drive (marketted to end users anyway) is the Western Digital Velociraptor 150gb 10K RPM. Sells for $230

Running an amazingly close second place for most read/write tasks is this:
The Seagate 7200.11 7200RPM 320GB

It goes for $65. It benches almost twice as fast for transfer rates than my 500GB Seagate 7200.10.
For $65 this really juiced up my computer. Perfect for an operating drive.

It even beat the velociraptor on one or two tests.

Charts:

My 500GB 7200.10 was way down the list at 65MB/sec lol

Thought some of you would wanna know.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I intentionally ignored the SATA part.

Besides, SATA 6Gb is coming soon.......

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Not tomorrow. And when it does get here it'll still be awhile between the time it's released and the time most of us upgrade our motherboards and HDs. This is a solution for today, and it's frigging cheap.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts

What's the deal with that anyway, I doubt we'd have a mechanical drive that will be faster than that electronic port anyway. The read/write speeds achieved by your harddrive won't be 3GB/s anytime soon, let alone 6GB. Unless I can see some real performance differences, I call it marketing based on theorethical numbers, not practical performance.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
The fastest mechanical SATA hard drive (marketted to end users anyway) is the Western Digital Velociraptor 150gb 10K RPM. Sells for $230

Running an amazingly close second place for most read/write tasks is this:
The Seagate 7200.11 7200RPM 320GB

It goes for $65. It benches almost twice as fast for transfer rates than my 500GB Seagate 7200.10.
For $65 this really juiced up my computer. Perfect for an operating drive.

It even beat the velociraptor on one or two tests.

Charts:

My 500GB 7200.10 was way down the list at 65MB/sec lol

Thought some of you would wanna know.
But its only 150Gb.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
But its only 150Gb.
Did you read anything I wrote, or did you just look at the pictures?
Or did you just stop reading after I mentioned the Western Digital drive?

The drive I posted is 320GB. 320GB is more than enough for an operating drive for your programs.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Exactly, I wouldn't buy a 150GB HD for $230 just for the speed. The other choice is a much better option, thanks for the find Spyhop.

·
troubleshooter
7,514 Posts
Did you read anything I wrote, or did you just look at the pictures?
Or did you just stop reading after I mentioned the Western Digital drive?

The drive I posted is 320GB. 320GB is more than enough for an operating drive for your programs.
I am talking only about the 150Gb Hdd, had it been a 500gb or more then it would be good enough. Why not go for a 500GB hdd which comes for the same price and has decent performance. I bought a new hdd too a couple of days back and it also has a very good speed. its listed in your performance test ST3500320AS

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
For that price just get the two fastest 1TB drives and stripe them. Should be fast enough as well.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
FWIW my VR150's in Raid0 get an avg read at 213.9mb/s

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
What's the deal with that anyway, I doubt we'd have a mechanical drive that will be faster than that electronic port anyway. The read/write speeds achieved by your harddrive won't be 3GB/s anytime soon, let alone 6GB. Unless I can see some real performance differences, I call it marketing based on theorethical numbers, not practical performance.
SSDs are already pushing Sata 3gb to the limit, and sata6 will have improvements in more things than just data output (queueing, etc).

1 - 20 of 28 Posts