Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tobacco Tax Increase Across USA

I hope they know that if people can't afford this crap then it will backfire on them. The government wants more money to help the middle class and all this is doing is pissing the middle-class off. If we can't afford the cigarettes, how is the government supposed to reap the benefits of our purchase?

I feel like protesting.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Obama sure is making sure he destroys the American "calm medicine" before he does anything else idiotic; isn't he?

I swear; I voted for the guy(War vs.... anything but war) but... this is just ridiculous! He wants to help the middle class so he takes away the only thing they have to keep them sane during a hard work schedule? If they want a riot, they sure picked a good way to do it.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I still remember when they were $2.50
Me too...:(:(:(

I've packed my own cigarettes for years. I smoke Bugler cigarette tobacco with Zig-Zag tubes with a Premier crank machine. I've been running with good; high-quality cheap cigarettes for years but now I'm not even immune to **** like this.

·
band
4,912 Posts
I quit around a year ago and now only smoke the occasional one or two every 3 or 4 months.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Stop smokin fool!:p

But anyways, if they need money they have to rise taxes... And as tobacco is also causing a lot of extra expenses as people start dying on it its pretty reasonable target. Or, what? You want them to tax more on your gas?:p

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
I stopped smoking around a month and 2 weeks ago. Until then smoking cost me a minimum amount of 81 USD a month. The price for cigarettes raised here as well if i where to smoke to this day as well it would cost me a minimum amount of 113 USD a month. Though here cigarettes where a lot cheaper then in the USA, since i smoked at least pack of marlboro a day.

Damn thats a lot of money on that.

Good thing I don't smoke.
Believe me better not even or ever start, i'm on medication and after a month and 2 weeks i still need to smoke :lol:.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
Tobacco Tax Increase Across USA

I hope they know that if people can't afford this crap then it will backfire on them. The government wants more money to help the middle class and all this is doing is pissing the middle-class off. If we can't afford the cigarettes, how is the government supposed to reap the benefits of our purchase?

I feel like protesting.
Quit smoking. Problem solved.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
I think it's an intentional way to make up for the various health cost increases posed by smoking. They figure you shouldn't be smoking, so why not make you pay for it through the nose?

I am of course looking forward to seeing just how much damage Obama can cause to our financial system in other ways though. :(

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
Quit smoking. Problem solved.
If only it were just that easy...:(

I think it's an intentional way to make up for the various health cost increases posed by smoking. They figure you shouldn't be smoking, so why not make you pay for it through the nose?

I am of course looking forward to seeing just how much damage Obama can cause to our financial system in other ways though. :(
Indeed. Strangely enough, this new tax goes toward paying for State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP). This program gives health care to children of low-income parents who otherwise cannot afford health care.

Given the recession and the increase in cigarette cost, I don't see this as a very good idea since this will encourage people to quit at the cost of losing the SCHIP program. It's both good and bad, and I guess it can be said that this was a stupid idea to begin with. It should have been implemented differently.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gambler Tobbacco is already working on a work-a-round for it. I just got an ad in the mail for a bag that weighed slightly less than what otherwise would be more expensive tobacco.

Meaning.. the government would tax the tobacco more if it were .000009-grams heavier.

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Theyd tax weed to if they could
Legitimizing and taxing various drugs would be a good idea actually. Given the high prevalence of its usage (and missed opportunities in revenue), the tax price increases tossed on drugs would be outweighed by the lower prices from extra competition and less enforcement. I can see why California is seriously pursuing the idea of taxing marijuana, but I doubt it'd pick up too much steam in the country in general unless times get pretty tough.

Having said that though, if the drug cartel wars in Mexico worsen, that's almost enough reason to go the drug tax route right there...

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,571 Posts
I'm not against legalizing marijuana, but I think that in doing so it won't help much in the "drug war". California for instance wants a $50 flat tax on weed. Why the hell would I pay $60 for a dime sack when I can call up my friend who "knows people" and pay only $10?

This will just create a black market of sorts for marijuana. The leaders of this black market will just be the same drug cartels that operate present day. The competition may be enough for these cartels to attack shops and businesses where you can buy legal weed.

·
UnCool
59 Posts
Yeah here it cost about 1 dollar for a pack in us dollars. but in my currency that's worth like 10 dollars.

Wheeew all that for a whiff of smoke. I've been clean for 3 months and now I'm back to smoking, I tell you guys there's just no quiting.

1 - 20 of 98 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.