Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey. I have some experience with shader and usability
May be u know, there is some emulator, retroarch

Its not mentioned here and I think no much people have so much nerves to set up it

It designed awfully, not intuitive, weird, bloatwared

But technically it gives a lot of opportunities with shaders
Usually people thinks that shader is like stupid AAA effects, too complex

It's true, but I prefer to make simple solution to make natural experience. For example, levels corrections, color correction, noise

I made this for retroarch and in my build (or u can just glsl files from shader folder) u have simple color management+usable interface

u can apply it for nes, ps1 and actually rearmed core gives much better perfomance than pete opengl and different image processing. bad side is that on pc its low resolution

1st is mine, second is bilinear filtering, 3rd is crt shader - i hate them

you can control intensivity of noise as you want

·
Registered
318 Posts
Hey Man. Did you used the MESEN ( Nes Emulator ) before?
If i want to play my favorite Nes games using a special filter effects. Inside on that Emu got the 2xsal and SuperEagle filters. I think, those Nes games looked a lot of better if i use these specific filters. Inside at the SuperEagle Filter. The MegaMan and Castlevania Games looked beyond great. Maybe almost like an a Sega MD or even an a Snes. And then, adding with an a Scanlines effect filter getting along, do for an a even better trick. Really; these games looks very nice with this.

Of course. Inside at some another NES titles. Using along with the SuperEagle filter wont help. That's why the 2xsal filter exist and it fixes the problem ( an alternate solution )
Inside at the Nestopia Emu. ( One of my favorites one ) Got the 2xsal filter but not the SuperEagle one. Too bad.
If that Retroarch Emulator; got that SuperEagle and 2xsal filters as an options. You should on checks them out.

I tested my Nes games using with another filters such like Hqx series, Brz series, etc. I don't like how they looked with these. Only with those; SuperEagle and 2xsal. My games looks like i've always wanted to be and dreamed ever before.

Not remember if Mesen can make those grainy effects. I should on check it out.

P.S. I don't like Retroarch, it's a mess of a Emulator, and ask an a lot of resources for my Computer.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
P.S. I don't like Retroarch, it's a mess of a Emulator, and ask an a lot of resources for my Computer.
As for me I hated it before. I'm not stupid and for example I spend 1 day or something like this for creation of shader

But in recent time I tried to download it I spent 4 months just to launch and play the game, i swithed on another emulators. Its extremely bad, but potentionally its very powerful

I make 'small' version now which is absolutely ready out of box without fucking with setting

Modern displays calibrated wery bad, these color are too 'juicy', on PC or phones

For example look, its 'original' screenshot

But on phones it looks awful, as for me i setted on my intel panel saturation -34
But i can simple change saturation with my shader

For making equal result on phone i reduce saturation from 50 to 30

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So, second screenshot on 'juicy' displays should look like first screenshot on my display. You can feel difference

·
Registered
31 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your shader looks terrible
terrible of what))?

I know exactly what i do

Firstly, its rgb->YIQ correction, it allows to work with native colors of crt consoles

Blur. Native resolution is very low, like 240p

But it was not pixelated graphics. Consoles worked with limited pallete, but using crt 'features' they created effects like gradients
If you just scale image using biliner filer, you get clear, but ugly graphic. If u just add scanlines like these crt shaders does it gives separated pixels, its not realistic. I add blur, make black/white level correction. After it i make texturization with noise. Maybe it has a sense to add some scanlines, but they should not be so black, it makes output image darker

1 - 7 of 7 Posts