Next Generation Emulation banner

I can't play Castlevania Symphony of the Night with ePSXe 2.0.5

4K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  ezgm17 
#1 ·
Whenever I try to a black window appears instead of a window where I can see what I am doing in game.
I selected scph1001.bin as the bios and tried many different video and sound configurations but I keep seeing this black window over and over again.
With both pcsx2 and rpcs3 I could boot and play both PlayStation 2 & 3 roms very quickly but with ePSXe I can't play even one PlayStation 1 game.
What I am doing wrong?

#2 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Setting CPU Overclocking to 1x solves this problem, though I don't know why this game is unplayable when CPU Overclocking is not 1x though, and I already tried DuckStation and DuckStation is really very good and much better than ePSXe as you said but my favorite PlayStation emulator now is PCSX-Redux because PCSX-Redux features both read and write breakpoints that unfortunately DuckStation lacks and DuckStation is not good for both advanced and expert hackers like me who wants to hack the game and make his own cheats by changing MIPS instructions.

I have already made a lot of cheats with the Memory Observer, Breakpoints, Assembly and Memory Editor of PCSX-Redux! But thank you for your suggestion!

DuckStation does already have a Cheat Manager with both Cheat List and Memory Scanner and a CPU Debugger though but this is still not as good as what PCSX-Redux offers for advanced and expert hackers like me! Especially the feature to type and run any Lua scripts and all the Map execution, Map byte reads, Map half reads, Map word reads, Map byte writes, Map half writes, Map word writes, Break on execution map, Break on byte read map, Break on half read map, Break on word read map, Break on byte write map, Break on half write map, Break on word write map checkboxes and Clear maps button!

But among the three, ePSXe is really the worst because all what ePSXe allows you to do is to use cheats that can be found on the internet, like CodeBreaker, GameShark, Action Replay and etc but I am both advanced and expert hacker who already learnt how to hack PlayStation 2 roms with both Cheat Engine 7.3 and PCSX2 1.6.0 Debugger which also features read and write breakpoints too!

#6 · (Edited)
Unfortunately, ePSXe 2.0.5 will not work on Windows XP.:(

So...

I am forced to use ePSXe 1.9.25 instead now.
Who still uses Windows XP nowadays? Microsoft no longer supporting Windows XP anymore very long time ago since year 2014, about 8 years ago from now, and even not Vista and 7 and soon also both 8 and 8.1.

In Windows 10 ePSXe 2.0.5 does work but does not feature what an advanced and expert hacker like me needs.

PCSX-Redux is the best for me right now and DuckStation for PlayStation one players, gamers and cheaters, like GameShark users, but not hackers like me.

I believe that ePSXe 2.0.5 should work also on Windows 11 but I don't care because of all what I said above.

If there are programs and applications that work for you on Windows XP only but not on any windows operating system that Microsoft released after Windows XP, like Vista, 7, 8, 8.1, 10 or 11, then you can always use Windows 10 & 11 Hyper-V or Oracle VirtualBox or VMware to run Windows XP and it's programs and applications on any Windows operating system that was released after Windows XP.

I recall that there is Windows XP mode that allowed Windows 7 users to run any program and application that worked on Windows XP but not on Windows 7, but I think that Windows XP mode is for Windows 7 only and Windows 7 is no longer supported since 2020 so also not recommended to move to Windows 7 anymore.

DOSBox-X is a dos emulator but I recall that DOSBox-X has a unique feature to allows the user to install any old windows operating system and run old windows programs and applications there on modern Windows operating systems like 10 and 11. Maybe DOSBox-X can help you run your favorite Windows XP programs and applications on modern Windows operating systems like 10 and 11.

If not then PCem might help you too because PCem is another emulator to run old windows operating systems, programs and applications on modern Windows operating systems like 10 and 11 and also might run your favorite Windows XP programs and applications.

Anyway I don't recommend you to stay on Windows XP because Windows XP is dead since 2014 and it is still dead and will be dead all the time.

Microsoft have no intention to support this old operating system anymore.

#7 ·
Hi, my fault, just because version 2.0.2-1 is working OK, i did not read the 2.0 readme to check the "vista+" announcement

Ok, I take a look at the executable, and found the problem is that 2.0.5 uses condition variables, that are not available in XP or lower

I modify epsxe 2.0.5, and make working in XP (32 and 64bits versions), i tested today and not problems (at least all games i tested work well)

here the download, is just the executable

http://akihabara-online.com/Main/Emula/epxse/ePSXe.zip

Will be easy to make working on XP again, a small change to code to just check windows version, and ignore or make a fake calls to this conditions if XP or lower

Greetings
Right click and save link as.

#8 ·
I am really surprised that there are still Windows XP users nowadays even though Microsoft dropped support for this operating system since year 2014 very long time ago.

And I also see that someone reverse engineered ePSXe 2.0.5 to make it working on Windows XP. This is similar to my will to reverse engineer all PSX roms.

Right now PCSX-Redux is the best for me but probably won't work or even run at all on Windows XP at all.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.