Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

First I have to say that I´m German and my english is only basic - so I hope you can understand me!^^

I registered myself in this forum, because I have absolutely NO idea what to do.
I´m a console player (Xbox360) and use my Notebook only for Internet. I know how to open my email-inbox and ICQ - that´s it;). Don´t know how to explain in English... but you know what I mean, do you??
But now I remembered my favourite PSX-Game "Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen and wanna play it.
I bought this Notebook 2nd-Hand, it´s really old. It has Windows 2000 and I don´t know the technical specs...

Here what I did so far:

I installed epsexe and make it run with Pete´s Plugins (I just randomly downloaded the Plugins and tried one by one)
And I finally made the Game "Blood Omen" run (yeah!!!:) )
But the Problem is that it has so many slowdowns. The rendered cutscenes run properly mostly but have a short slowdown every 2 seconds too.

Since this is a 2D-Game I thought, even my old Notebook could make it run. But with these slowmotions it´s unplayable!

I tried different Configs, like manipulating the FPS and set all to the minimum but I really don´t have a clue what to do...

I´m sitting here now for over 5 hours and still couldn´t fix it.
PLEASE help me.
Maybe you could tell me what to do with the FPS-Setting or the other stuff. Or am I using the wrong Plugin from Pete?

I just wanna play ONLY THIS GAME - I´m not intended to use epsxe for other games - so can I somehow getting it to let me play it?

THANX in advance!!

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
If it's a 2D game (and only 2D, no 3D at all), the best compatibility and visuals will be gotten from P.E.Op.S software plug-in. This plug-in works great because almost any CPU today is fast enough for it, and it requires little to no GPU power.

Plugin: P.E.Op.S. Soft Driver 1.1.18
Author: Pete Bernert and the P.E.Op.S. team

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Fullscreen - [32 Bit]
Stretch mode: 2
Dither mode: 0

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Misc:
- Scanlines: disabled
- Game fixes: off [00000000]

If you have a decent CPU, you can play with the stretching options and use filters for better visuals.

By the way, your English was fine, even if not perfect.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
WOW! Many Thanx so far, now the game runs very smoothly! The visuals are much better and the cutscenes run without slowdowns.
The only problem is that the game in fact runs smoothly now but it´s still very, very slow. Can I fix this issue somehow or is it because my Computer is so old?
Thanx again, Lord Zedeck!! :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, here comes my English again - it´s really difficult for me to explain, so sorry!:) "smoothly" means that it doesn´t act like "run - slowdown - run - slowdown"... At first it ran normal but had a slowdown every 2 seconds. But that problem is now fixed. But now, the whole game is like in slow-motion. I know that even on the PSX the game slowed down if many enemies were onscreen, but here it is the whole time slow even if the character is alone onscreen!

My computer specs... let me look.... it says:

System:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

Computer:
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping
AT/AT Compatible
261.608 KB RAM

Card:
ATI RAGE Mobility P/M PCI (A21/2)
DAC-Type: ATI Internal DAC
Memory: 4 MB

Hope, that are the informations you asked for...

·
Registered
285 Posts
That's an old P3 laptop isn't it. It's severely limited in power, and a 4mb rage... idk if that's gonna work.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, I downloaded it and it installed DirectX on my computer (which already WAS installed?!) But still there´s the message "Failed to initialise D3D Device"...
Mustn´t there be a seperate .dll file that I have to copy in the emulator directory like with the epsxe-emulator?
Maybe my Computer is too old for this emulator?
Or do I have to start DirektX manually?
Please be patient with me, ´cause I have NO idea, what I´m doing here! ;)

·
Better be better than yesterday
5,544 Posts
Ok, I downloaded it and it installed DirectX on my computer (which already WAS installed?!) But still there´s the message "Failed to initialise D3D Device"...
Mustn´t there be a seperate .dll file that I have to copy in the emulator directory like with the epsxe-emulator?
Maybe my Computer is too old for this emulator?
Or do I have to start DirektX manually?
Please be patient with me, ´cause I have NO idea, what I´m doing here! ;)
OK. You can't "start" directX, that is not a process. This is an API (Application Programming Interface) called automatically every time an application which draws 2D/3D stuff needs it (in fact the application calls a sub-API called Direct3D).

Well,Back on topic.
1-Did you download the d3dx9_26.dll(see my previous post)? if yes:
2-Did you install the latest version of DirectX? if yes:
3-Did you check for the latest drivers of your graphics card? About, I found this.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I installed the update.

Here´s something strange I found out. I just installed the adriPSX-Emulator. And the game works PERFECT - except for the screensize: It´s as small as the PSP-Display and I can´t get it larger...I´m really sad...

Ok, back to ePSXe - where di I found the PEOPS and Ethernal Lite plugins? Can you give me a link? Thanx

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Whew, thanks to you guys, I´ll become a computer-crack this night!:lol:
But the link for the graphics card drivers you gave me, red lion, it´s too much input (in english) for me!^^ I´m afraid that I´ll do something wrong and kill my little laptop here... but I´m reading (and translating).

But I remembered something that could help you helping me: I searched the internet for the PC-version of the game and I found a (illegal?!) cd-rip of "Blood Omen" - without cutscenes, voiceover and music, just the basic game. I tried it out and it worked! Without slowdowns and with nice graphics! But without the story-stuff it´s kinda boring....but I didn´t found a full-pc-version.

So I think my old computer IS capable of handling that game, it´s just a settings-issue with the emulator. Or is playing a psx-emu-game something different to the CPU/graphics card than playing a pc game?

·
Emu Author
616 Posts
i am afraid you may be a bit wrong int hat assumption. pc game != psx game. the pc version is designed for a pc to run it where as with epsxe, it is translating the psx game into a readable pc format which is much slower so to get that same speed you need a fair bit more power than what the pc version would need.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok, i understand... i was just wondering...
anyway I found out that if I turn the stretching to 1:1 the game runs perfect but the screen is very small (as I mentioned before). With stretching 1:1 the FPS are near 60. But when I change it to 2xSal stretching (the only setting that works smoothly) the screen is fullsize but the FPS are under 15!
So maybe it IS that damn old computer: The larger the screen, the slower the game!

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
My computer specs... let me look.... it says:

System:
Microsoft Windows 2000 Service Pack 4

Computer:
x86 Family 6 Model 8 Stepping
AT/AT Compatible
261.608 KB RAM

Card:
ATI RAGE Mobility P/M PCI (A21/2)
DAC-Type: ATI Internal DAC
Memory: 4 MB

Hope, that are the informations you asked for...
Oh, unfortunately, I'm not sure if you're going to have much luck on that.

the 686 is a Pentium III. It looks like it has 256MB of RAM, which, while low by today's standards, is enough for ePSXe. The GPU, however, is very lacking (and anything it does have enough speed for will be slowed by it's low 4MB of RAM).

Unfortunately, a Pentium III is too slow for P.E.Op.S. software plug-in, at least as far as my testing goes with the 733MHz, 800MHz, and 933MHz variants. It'd almost pull it off, but the menus (ala, anything framebuffer intensive) would go to 1/2 or 2/3 the speed. Some of the Taulatins may be good enough, but that's besides the point.

The low 4MB will honestly prevent much from happening with any hardware plug-in either.

I can offer this, but the visuals may not look so great (there may even be anomalies or visual glitches). It's about as low as it goes, and if this doesn't work, forget it on that PC.

Plugin: Pete's D3D Driver 1.1.76
Author: Pete Bernert
GFX card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Resolution/Color:
- 640x480 Window mode (Maybe even try 320x240!?)

Textures:
- R4G4B4A4
- Filtering: 0
- Hi-Res textures: 0
- VRam size: 4 MBytes

Framerate:
- FPS limit: on
- Frame skipping: off
- FPS limit: Auto

Compatibility:
- Offscreen drawing: 2 (if the game is missing menus, raise this to 3)
- Framebuffer texture: 0
- Framebuffer access: 0
- Alpha multipass: off
- Mask bit: off
- Advanced blending: none

Misc:
- Scanlines: off [0]
- Unfiltered FB: off
- Dithering: off
- Screen smoothing: off
- Full vram: on
- Game fixes: off [00000200]
ok, i understand... i was just wondering...
anyway I found out that if I turn the stretching to 1:1 the game runs perfect but the screen is very small (as I mentioned before). With stretching 1:1 the FPS are near 60. But when I change it to 2xSal stretching (the only setting that works smoothly) the screen is fullsize but the FPS are under 15!
So maybe it IS that damn old computer: The larger the screen, the slower the game!
One of two things is happening. Either the CPU is choking on the filter, or the GPU is on the stretching. Most cards can stretch the 1:1 ratio to full screen with no problem, but older and/or lower RAM ones really hate it. I wouldn't be surprised if yours can't do it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.