Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning i started up my computer and noticed it was a little bit slower. but when i ran epsxe, FF8 wich usually ran at about 49/50 FPS was running at 20/25 FPS!!!! WTF, when i tryed a Snes emulator it was also a lo slower.
Well, i ran passmark performance test and compared to a baseline i made about a month b4. it indicated a loss of about 25% performance from my computer a moth b4.
The problem is that yesterday it was running fine and today is a LOT slower!!!!!!!
i dont know if this a software of hardware problem, so i posted this here. i rebooted and it was still slow, i uninstalled a 300 MB program, still slow.
Photoshop and other programs in general are also slower.
AAAAARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead: :dead:
plz plz plz plz help
any ideas m8s???

PS - gonna open my machine to see if it has any burnt chips...
Thks in advance 4 your help

·
Registered
513 Posts
>gonna open my machine to see if it has any burnt chips...
It's likely that if your machine had "burnt chips" the thing wouldn't boot at all ;)

Did the benchmarks you did measure just graphics performance or overall system response? If I'm to assume you measured speed overall, why not check out to see if some sort of background program is running and eating up your processor cycles. A sure way to check this is to run msconfig (or do some registry editing) and see if any programs you're not familiar with are set to run in the background.

Checking for a virus might also be prudent, especially seeing as how many common boot sector viruses disturb Windows' disk drivers to the point where they register as being under MS-Dos Compat. Mode (in your performance tab, if you're running Win95 or 98).

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hum
i dont think i have a virus cause i have the updated version of mcafee and it didnt detec any virus
yup, i measured the overall performance thks
but about that backgroud programs, man i dont think they come out like this! yesterday the pc as fine!!!
well, thks anyway, i think ill make it some gentle stuff with an AXE and a HAMMER and maybe formatting my HD
i dont know man :(

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if it matters im running win 98 SE, a riva tnt2 ultra & celeron 466 MHZ.
BTW, will it help installing windows over (using the option jes fixing bad parts?)

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Why don't you check out about system resource...........
I remember when you show your screenshot of your desktop I see many programs on your PC .............it make your PC work slower
Why don't you take some off.............;)

·
Registered
513 Posts
>option jes fixing bad parts
You're better off backing up anything that's even remotely important and doing a full reformat. Install just the essential things you need to get the emulator running and then give it a try. That way you can add things back one by one and determine just what the culprit could be.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, i really think ill reformat, cause its giving a lot of errors
oh, i already closed all the programs running in the back (w/ ctrl+alt+del) and the emulator keeps slow...
hum, can it be a corrupt graphic card driver? the slower things are the ones wich use it most...
thks 4 all ur help

·
Registered
513 Posts
>can it be a corrupt graphic card driver
Either it's corrupt or there's some sort of incompatability between the driver for your video card and some other piece of hardware you have. After reformatting try using only the "official" drivers (or at least those that you know work well) so you don't end up having to diagnose a driver problem in addition to figuring out why your framerate dropped.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Yeah, I had a lot of problems after I uninstalled stuff, for no reason my computer screen would randomly just go blank and freeze. It won't stop happening either.

·
Registered
345 Posts
did you defrag your hard drive?
after removing a 300 MB program, things might be a little mixed up

i usually see a noticeable speed increase after doing one every couple months

and programs running in the background do stometimes just apprear. usually you install something and its default is to run at start up.

hope this helps and that your reformat goes well if it comes down to it

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
check to see if all your RAM chips are detected.
If one burns out it's possible your comp keeps running without it.

added: or someone broke in and took one of them :D

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Originally posted by takwu
check to see if all your RAM chips are detected.
If one burns out it's possible your comp keeps running without it.

added: or someone broke in and took one of them :D
Ha Ha Ha
Good idea :D

·
Bip...Bip...
970 Posts
Why ppl always re-format theyr HDD before to try to understand what happened?

Have you installed something lately?

First, in cases like that, verify in your registry under section:
HKLM/software/Microsoft/Windows/CurentVersion/Run
if you don't load some unwanted files wich run in backgroud an slow your Windows

Try to give a look in startup folder too...

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Speaking of RAM chips blowing out...... every once in a while when I start up my computer it says, 'Memory Size Decreased' - if I turn off my computer and leave it alone for a little while and turn it back on it will say, 'Memory Size Increased' - WTF is up with that? I dunno why it does. (maybe because I got really cheap RAM, :D )

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i didnt install anytthing lately, but im gonna try reinstalling my GC drivers (the ones that came w/ the graphic card)
thks once again

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nop
i installed the drivers that came w/ my card and its still slow
*sigh* im starting to get sick of this :( Guess nest step is reinstalling windows (not formatig, just reinstalling) to see if it solves the problem
AAARRRGGGGHHHHHH #$%##$%"!"#$"#$ WINDOWS 98!!

:dead: :mad: :dead: :mad: :dead: :mad: :dead: :mad: :dead: :mad: :dead: :mad: :dead: :mad: :dead: :mad: :laser: :mg: :rockets: :smash: :shout: :wtf: :dead: :mg: :rockets: :smash:

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wait a minute
What the hell, emulators are the ONLY thing running slow!!! DVD play is good, games like Grim fandango or midtown madness are running as good as ever, FMV are cool and photoshop is not slower (i was just working w/ a huge image).
In other hande Snes, genesis or PSX emulators are running a lot slower. now, what do all emulators have in common (except the fact of being emulators :D )?
I sense my computer is possesed. I gotta call an exorcist...

·
Registered
171 Posts
there is one important thing that no one mentioned .
check your bios settings some times when the cache is disabled (some viruses cause it) your machine gets slow.
and if you decided to format i think you should do a full format
a lot better always , reinstalling windows deosnt always help.
and about the dvd play it doesnt need the full power of your machine to run perfectly so its not hte best test.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
GOD DAMN IT! EVEN A NES EMULATOR RUNS SLOW
thks, gonna seea bout the cache, ill be right back :)

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Originally posted by Neojag

I sense my computer is possesed. I gotta call an exorcist...
You need a young priest and an old priest.

The power of Christ compells you!!! The power of Christ compells you!!

That is bizzare. The only thing I could think of is emulators are all resource hungry... but then again so is software dvd players.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts