Next Generation Emulation banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

· Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
Xeven said:
Yeah, let's do that. Let's let all the LIVING PEOPLE die from diseases and vitrify them ;) Far as I'm concerned, vitrification or crynological preservation are MOSTLY for cowards who can't accept their inevitable deaths. Course, it's their money, it's their life and their choice.
Um, so when was the last time you died. Me i'm still on the fence with this one.

· Registered
7 Posts
Gaurav said:
I've never looked into it, but I'm curious what the aspired nano-technology would do for aging though. Things always tend to break down through use, and one day, the brain diminishes to an unuseful state as well. If there would be ways to preserve other parts of the body virtually indefinitely.. or perhaps the brain is too delicate to interfere with in such a way, even for nano-machinery.
Most applications people associate with nanotechnology are just SF by now. Currently nanotechnology is just a catchier name for chemistry and has little to do with tiny machines.

I remember reading once the human bones and teeth are built for a lifetime of about 40 or 50 years while the brain could survive for 500 years if the other organs keep working, is just forgot where i read it...

· Registered
10,585 Posts
the thing about lowering the body temperature to such extremes is that you cause extreme and irreversable cellular and tissue damage, which is why they, as of today, and most likely for a long long time, *cannot* defrost their cadavers

· Emulation to the max!
2,624 Posts
Xeven said:
I died 5 years ago :thumb:
LOL, ic ic. I wonder if you dream when your vitrified?

· Registered
1,035 Posts
Master Chief said:
People do this, hoping that one day, Scientists will have learned how to thaw you out of your vitrified state, and cure your sickness. Imagine that...
That last sentence made me lol. Think of what will happen to the poor bastards if no one ever comes up with a way to "unvitrify" them.

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
ka0s said:
That last sentence made me lol. Think of what will happen to the poor bastards if no one ever comes up with a way to "unvitrify" them.
Yeah, that's a possibilty. But I don't think the people care. They just think they are going to wake up some day. This technology is to early and hasn't really been tested and proven to work. Those people could be dead. This company just seems to be into the business for the cash.

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Sumukan said:
Most applications people associate with nanotechnology are just SF by now. Currently nanotechnology is just a catchier name for chemistry and has little to do with tiny machines.
There are a lot of things considered just SF, of which many are closer and more achievable than most people think. I have no clue if the same goes for these particular uses of nano-technology (due to ignorance) this Alcor organization preaches on about.

Sumukan said:
I remember reading once the human bones and teeth are built for a lifetime of about 40 or 50 years while the brain could survive for 500 years if the other organs keep working, is just forgot where i read it...
Now that's what interests me. If you ever find out where you got that from, I'd appreciate it if you let me know. I'll look for it as well when I have a bit more time.

· Heretic
2,771 Posts
First I'll kick off with, "Nature is not law."

Now I have to say that obviously some of you don't understand death. Its not simply an On and Off thing. If I wanted to quote Alcor, "Death isn't an event, its a process." I've actually been turning this over in my head quite some time before I read this. I think of death as when the body no longer meets the system requirements for life. Its like with your computer, if one part screws up you can replace it or repair it and then the computer will work again. Only difference is that if a body is left off long enough it starts decaying. But if you know what's wrong there's nothing stopping you from rectifying that and bringing the person back to the state of life. Stating its against the law of nature is nothing more than god-fearing.

Also I believe Xeven started accusing people who have signed up for this as scared of death. To start my counterclaim I'd like to quote the movie Troy, "I have seen death, and there is nothing honorable about it." Scared of death? The people who endure this process already have experienced death and, despite the pesimism some people have expressed here, if they wake up it will be just like blacking out. They won't recall any time difference from when they died and were brought back.

And as a note I thought I would share some more philosophy of mine. The dictionary defines death as, "The end of life; the permanent cessation of vital bodily functions, as manifested in humans by the loss of heartbeat, the absence of spontaneous breathing, and brain death." That definition indicates that you're only dead when you're life is permanently at its end. If you wake up 50 years later you were never dead in the first place. Again, I don't think many people here have put much effort into considering what death actually is. This process is not about bringing people back to life, because if you are brought back you musn't have been dead in the first place. But some of you aren't realizing that there's a difference between being a few minutes fresh of death, and being dead and buried for some time. And the difference is that if you've been buried for a month or more you've decayed quite a bit and now the damage that stands against you're coming back is not only the original causes of death, but the additional damage decay has caused to your body. I'm sure eventually nano-machines will be able to fix the latter. After all, to stay alive is nothing more than bodily maintenence. I see no reason why cheating death won't be possible in the future.

Also someone asked if you dream when you're vetrified. Well, I don't know if you've had a blackout before, but its more or less exactly the same. You have no recollection whatsoever of being unconcious in the first place.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.