Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Xeven said:
Saving someone is different from preserving the DEAD :)
www.alcor.org said:
Cryonics cannot work for anyone who is truly brain dead.

I've never looked into it, but I'm curious what the aspired nano-technology would do for aging though. Things always tend to break down through use, and one day, the brain diminishes to an unuseful state as well. If there would be ways to preserve other parts of the body virtually indefinitely.. or perhaps the brain is too delicate to interfere with in such a way, even for nano-machinery.

Even though I have once expressed the thought that I wouldn't want eternal life or longer than normal life for reasons that I consider possibly evolutionary in their roots (i.e. the length of our capacity to maintain a stable mental state, etc), I must say that I'm intrigued for cryonics and other such technologies IF, and ONLY IF, there is reason to believe the brain can be preserved for at least another lifetime of use.

..but I still shudder at the thought of anything externally messing with my precious genius brain. :p

Proto said:
I don't remember signing any contract that said that in order to die with pride I should just face death as if nothing though :p
Well, he didn't claim his point-of-view was a legal fact, now did he? :p

· Registered
1,585 Posts
Sumukan said:
Most applications people associate with nanotechnology are just SF by now. Currently nanotechnology is just a catchier name for chemistry and has little to do with tiny machines.
There are a lot of things considered just SF, of which many are closer and more achievable than most people think. I have no clue if the same goes for these particular uses of nano-technology (due to ignorance) this Alcor organization preaches on about.

Sumukan said:
I remember reading once the human bones and teeth are built for a lifetime of about 40 or 50 years while the brain could survive for 500 years if the other organs keep working, is just forgot where i read it...
Now that's what interests me. If you ever find out where you got that from, I'd appreciate it if you let me know. I'll look for it as well when I have a bit more time.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.