Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when the game transitions from one scene to another during a story element or after I win a battle, the game would stutter between for a few seconds and then move on. How can I stop this?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I made ISOs of the CDs and I still have this problem. I don't mind the slowdown between the story/dungeon screens so much, or even the pause before battles, but the pause after battles is really annoying. The "Take Items" screen runs really slowly and the little sound that plays for the Gil counter slows down and gets all crackly.

Would a different CD plugin help this? I'm using PEOPS right now, but I see some people have recommended Mooby's for ISOs - does it perform better?

·
Registered
654 Posts
What are you doing now, mounting the ISOs on a virtual CD-ROM drive? Because Peops CDR 1.4 cannot, so far as I know, read ISOs directly - it's designed to read CD-ROM drives.

If you're using a virtual CD-ROM, you can use the ePSXe internal CD-ROM support, which I believe is fastest. You can also, as FFVII has no mixed-mode music tracks, skip using the virtual CD and just load the ISO directly into ePSXe with the "Run ISO" option on the File menu.

I am a happy user of Mooby2 for all my ISOs including FFVII, but I haven't had to switch disks yet and I anticipate problems at that point (search the PSX emu forums for switching disks with mooby2 to see some discussion on this).

Dan

P.S. You may find you get better performance from FFVII by using sssPSX rather than ePSXe for your emulator. I did. You may also want to check out my config for FFVII >>>HERE<<<

·
Registered
45 Posts
dbhankins said:
What are you doing now, mounting the ISOs on a virtual CD-ROM drive? Because Peops CDR 1.4 cannot, so far as I know, read ISOs directly - it's designed to read CD-ROM drives.

If you're using a virtual CD-ROM, you can use the ePSXe internal CD-ROM support, which I believe is fastest. You can also, as FFVII has no mixed-mode music tracks, skip using the virtual CD and just load the ISO directly into ePSXe with the "Run ISO" option on the File menu.

I am a happy user of Mooby2 for all my ISOs including FFVII, but I haven't had to switch disks yet and I anticipate problems at that point (search the PSX emu forums for switching disks with mooby2 to see some discussion on this).

Dan

P.S. You may find you get better performance from FFVII by using sssPSX rather than ePSXe for your emulator. I did. You may also want to check out my config for FFVII >>>HERE<<<
I was using the Run ISO option from the main menu, I thought that used the CD plugin, I see I was mistaken. Do you have to use a virtual CDRom with Mooby or does that have some special ISO support?

I'll give sssPSX a try when I get a chance.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
when you use mooby's plugin you just go to run CD rom and that brings up a dialog to load an ISO.

in all honesty, just use Run ISO its a lot simpler and it lets you change discs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After much faffing about with various settings and plugins, the ONLY thing that stopped FFVII slowdowns (including the post-battle 'Gil' screen) was using ePSXe version 1.5.2. This is a well-known workaround.

SoS

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok I finally got around to trying SSSPSX and the slowdown was gone. Unfortunately it seems pretty unstable (after closing my desktop doesn't refresh and it crashes if you select run while running something) and not very user friendly (no shortcuts for save states?). Also I don't see anything for changing discs.

So I also tried ePSXe 1.5.2 the slowdown is also gone there, however I notice some sounds were missing. For example, during the opening movie there's no strings at the swirling stars, the music when Aeris appears plays, but her footsteps do not, nor do the train sounds. As far as I can tell it's just sounds during the movie that don't play, but still they work on SSSPSX and I'm using the same sound plugin for both.

At this point I'm inclined to go with SSSPSX and just live with it's faults, but I'm worried about the change disc part.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I did a little reading on the sssPSX project forum (translated to English with Google's help) and if Google's translation hasn't let me down, apparently it recognizes CDROM changes automatically once the CDROM has been recognized by your operating system (on the order of 10 seconds). I suspect that only applies to its built-in CDROM support.

I've seen the desktop-doesn't-refresh-on-exit problem and that it offers you "run" when you hit ESC but that makes it crash, but those are quirks I for one can live with, considering that it runs the games well. If you have a Windows keyboard, Win+D will display the desktop and refresh most everything. If not, right-click on the taskbar and select "Show the Desktop".

As for the change disk part, I just tested it by the simple expedient of putting FF7 disk 2 in the drive and loading a disk 1 game save. When it asked for disk 1, I inserted it into my CDROM drive. As soon as Windows recognized the disk sssPSX picked up the disk change and the game ran from the save point. Success! I only tested it with the internal CDROM plugin, so I can't guarantee anything on other plugins.

Dan

P.S. If, like me, you've made ISOs of the disks and are using CDRMooby2 to run them, this might be a good time to look into a virtual CD program. Then you can use sssPSX's internal CDROM plugin and still get ISO performance.

P.P.S. sssPSX does have save states and keyboard shortcuts for them. It has eight save states, and the shortcuts are the usual F1, F2 and F3 (save, select slot, load)

·
Registered
45 Posts
dbhankins said:
I've tested it with FF7 in sssPSX as well as ePSXe, and it works fine. In sssPSX hit ESC. When you click the continue menu item, Mooby2 will pop up its image selection dialog.

Dan
Yup, I noticed SSSPSX always gives you the select ISO/disc window when you press continue, regardless of the plugin. So I imagine that how it works with ISOs using the internal plugin - get disc change message in game, press Esc, select continue, select next disc ISO from window.

I'm really loving SSSPSX by the way. Performance seems top notch and I haven't run into any major problems with games. Runs FF9 really well too, WAY better than ePSXe. It's my new emulator of choice. Provided they get that screen refresh issue fixed and disable the run buttons when your running something so you can't crash it, will be perfect, at least for FF games - and that's all I really care about.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.