Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi again , i think im having a problem with the Fullscreen option its seems its not running at 320x240 but at in high res.

anyone know how i can get SSF to output Fullscreen at 320x240 ?

any info helps

s8n

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
To output lower resolutions you'll need a special graphics card like the ArcadeVGA (brand Ultimarc), or a 'downscan' converter like the Ultracade UVC or Extron Emotia.
There's also the software solution: PowerStrip and Soft15KHz can force most graphics cards to output lower resolutions, but you'll need to use a special (often custom built) vga cable.

BUT... in any case you'll need a standard resolution CRT monitor or TV, because like Squall said it: LCD screens cannot output lower resolutions.
Moreover, you'll need a crt monitor that has RGB input (like SCART or BNC) otherwise you won't be able to use the hardware and software I listed in the first paragraph.

If you live in Europe, you're lucky, many crt TVs have scart rgb inputs.
But if you live in the US you're screwed because their TVs don't take RGB, one exception are professional broadcast crt monitors like the Sony PVM series (many models and sizes).
You can find good RGB crts in old arcade cabs too.

All crt TVs/monitors are sold used now, they're old... but cheap.

PS: Note about PC crt monitors: although they can display low resolutions in RGB glory, they cannot render them properly and at the right frequency. So forget'em.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't know about what LensLarque said, my old Samsung CRT could run any game in any resolution I threw at it, including nonstandard ones like 640x512. I didn't even need PowerStrip or any other apps, since the nvidia driver allowed for custom resolutions.

SSF uses 640x480 or 704x480 (or the closest it can find, eg. 720x480, but if you add a 704x480 custom resolution, it will use that) at lowest. Because that's what the Saturn outputs, when scanlines are taken into account.

Looks gorgeous on a decent CRT, or even If you use analog TV Out (not supported by recent videocards, last one I saw to do it was the Radeon 4670), and set it up to an old analog crt tv.

The "Stretch Screen" option will make SSF run in your monitors native res, by the way.

most screens don't output below 512x448
I don't quite understand what you mean here. LCDs and plasmas have fixed resolutions and cannot output anything below or above that - they will scale the screen accordingly. CRTs could display at least as low as 320x200, otherwise they wouldn't be IBM PC compatible (you couldn't enter the BIOS or see the initial bootup screen and so).

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
Don't know about what LensLarque said, my old Samsung CRT could run any game in any resolution I threw at it, including nonstandard ones like 640x512. I didn't even need PowerStrip or any other apps, since the nvidia driver allowed for custom resolutions.
Yeah, but PC monitors have high definition screens and run at 31KHz, feeded with low resolutions they just give a 'huge square pixels' feast.
Old games using low resolution graphics were designed for standard definition screens at 15KHz, such as crt TVs or arcade crt monitors.

I just wanted to show how to get the 'real thing' with emulators, because no graphics cards I know feature a 15KHz rgb video out.
There are S-Video 'tv-out' but from what I've seen they can only output interlaced and scaled pc resolutions.
Maybe some cards allow to take total control over the S-Video out, but I personnaly still haven't seen any.

Whatever, maybe s8n doesn't care about that...:D

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm sure that OP did not want to turn his monitor into a 1980s TV, he just wanted games to run at native resolutions.

Going to such lengths as outputting 15khz monitor signal, that's just overkill. And I don't see the point when you can use TV-Out and get the same results (tv-out handled resolutions as high as 1024x768, but new videocards don't have it anymore). And you can get comparable results using NTSC filters in normal PC resolutions in many popular emulators (ZSNES, Kega, etc).

It's pointless going to such extreme lengths as you are implying - much cheaper to just buy the console itself.

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
SD TVs were still available new in 2006...

And it's not overkill, it's accurate.
Because neither S-Video TV-Outs nor 'scanlined' emulator filters give results as good and realistic as what I described.

Moreover, the cost of a '15KHz emulation' setup can be really cheap:
- used crt TV (50€ for a decent one)
- custom built VGA->SCART cable (about 10€ to 20€)
- soft15KHz (freeware)

(Unfortunately, americans who do not have RGB enabled TVs will have a hard time finding one, and may have to spend more.)

A region-modded console (or a console + region-unlocking cartridge/cd) can be more (sometimes much more) expensive than that kind of setup.

Anyway, some people (like me) who have been playing video games for over 20 or 30 years, can be very demanding regarding video/sound quality and accuracy.
I'm a collector and ready to pay hundreds for a single game (8 bit to 128, it doesn't matter as long as it's good and mint) or top-quality hardware.

Now you're right, there's a 99% probability that the OP doesn't care at all about accuracy etc... but when I see someone asking how to display 320x240 I just feel like saying the simple truth: it's pointless to try that without the proper hardware & software setup.

Indeed, emulators and filters can do a nice job by themselves.
There's just no need to think about low resolutions.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
flickers gunna be a massive head **** at less than 640x480.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
lol...

modes below 512x440 came in VESA and non VESA forms, commonly you had 320x240 and 320x200 non VESA modes, both of which were interlaced.

the VESA modes started at 320x240 (and strangely there was a 320x480 mode) and higher. Modern displays output VESA standardised display modes.

...just to note.
most ancient and some VESA2 functionality no longer exists in the bios's of modern video cards. Thats why attempting to run a fullscreen dosgame via cmd prompt in XP is a slideshow, and also why Bios's can appear to have some amount of update / input lag.

the last card i know of to fully support up to VBE3 properly is the mx 440, the FX series has reduced capability down to 2.0 and well.... they've reduced the extension support as the cards have progressed.

·
lazy shmupper
897 Posts
320x240... interlaced !!!???

I've been playing tons of games in 320x240p for ages, I've never seen 320x240i.

I'm talking about old consoles games or arcade pcbs and the standard crts they were naturally designed for.
Many different low resolution modes (and many uncommon) were used during the first three decades of video games history and honestly not much were interlaced.

Interlaced crap began to become more common with 128 bits machines, it was 480i most of the time.
Flickering was not an issue before that (good times!)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts