Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey CxBx developers,

Question 1:
I have been working with the CxBx source for a while and I'm now able to reverse engineer various .xbe files to some sort of c and then obvious function structures become apparent.

My question is how do you recognize a missing method of the XDK? If you get a exception on a specific adres you're safe to assume it's a method which isn't being emulated.

The first thing to do then is to look up the header of that particular method. I have found a lot of XDK methods with a standard BP based stackframe so that's actually not the hard part.

Once i've found the start of the method do you actually reverse engineer the method to pseudo-C? Or do you have some kind of documentation / files which are used to recognize the method? Reverse engineering each method looks like hell of a job :> So I assume that you do it a different way.

My question in a nutshell... if I give you a address where the exception occured, the binary xbe then how would the developers find out what type of method is it and what does it do. Included is the question how to find out what parameter does what.

Question 2:

I also have a secondary smaller question. TLS => Thread Local Storage (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...y/en-us/dllproc/base/thread_local_storage.asp)

I understand what it is, basically just a shared block of memory between processes. What I don't understand is the difference between the X-Box and the PC in terms of how TLS is handled. I have read a interview of caustik saying a big problem was unraveling TLS on the X-Box. What were the major problems here and what was his solution to this?

Thx in advance,

ThaFreak

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
1. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, so instead of risking saying something untrue, I reccomend that you e-mail caustik and ask him.

2. I don't think that the TLS problem is solved comepletely. I'm not sure because not only am I not an expert, the only thing I'm capable of doing at the moment is updating the HLE database and adding new features like an xbe dissasmbler or something.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts