Next Generation Emulation banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is aimed at the people that don't have a clue on how to make a iso.
You can get the latest version of Isobuster at www.isobuster.com
Let's start :)
1. Start up the program and place a cd on the drive. You should be presented with this screen.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
2. Then you right click on the CD in the left panel of the screen, you will see this menu. Click on the selection highlighted (Extract CD image -> RAW (*.iso, *.bin)

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
4. Just wait for the extraction process to finish and you will have a ISO made with no sweat :)

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The only problems you might have are related to scratched cds, when you will be presented with a error message, where you will be able to make a selection on how to work around that:

1- Omit sector - The sector won't be copied
2- Replace with all zeroes - The sector will be written with all zeroes instead of data.
3- Replace with user data all zeroes- Same as above.
4- Replace with erroneous sector- The sector will be replaced with a bad sector data (it will be unreadable anyway :)).
* Retry- Retry reading the sector
* Selection- apply selection
* Cancel- Cancel whole operation.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you canceled the operation it will ask if you want to delete the file.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think this ends the explanation :)
This program is free and is very easy to use (as you have seen).
Btw, I'm in no way affiliated with this program and can't be held responsible for any kind of damage, data loss or data corruption this program may cause.

·
Registered
4 Posts
wow good idea there should be a whole section for people that want to make these types of howtos they would be useful to the people that dont know how

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey

I guess my only question would be, how do I do this with a game that uses multiple CDs, does it require a certain kind of ISO naming system? How are cds/ISOs switched when they need to be?

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Re: Hey

Originally posted by mrangryface
I guess my only question would be, how do I do this with a game that uses multiple CDs, does it require a certain kind of ISO naming system? How are cds/ISOs switched when they need to be?
You may name them however you wish. I go by a simple numbering system for my labels (like FF9.bin and then FF92.bin), but whatever works for you. When you want to change disks with ISOs, CDs, or both, go to Change Disc and select the appropriate type you want to change to (ISO or CDROM).

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Originally posted by Athleon
has any program to boot iso ?

I mean, I can run setup/ or install (on 'window explorer') such as autorun function ?
Do you mean a program like Daemon Tools? It mounts the image in a Virtual CD drive, so it looks like a real cd.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Very helpful tutorial! But...

I tried using ISObuster.
But I get errors for each disk in the fist 10 seconds! (FIFA 98, Tomb Raider 3). i.e. "Unreadable sector" - sector 1150 couldn't be read.

Which option should I choose to make a working ISO?
  • Omit
  • Replace with zeroes
  • Replace with Userdata All Zeroes
  • Replace with erroneous track>
The disks themselves are in reasonably good condition.
Tried RAW on/off, no difference.
Also, ISO Buster reads at only 1X - is that right? Seems quite slow, but I don;t mind that if it can produce a working ISO.

Have the same problem with CDRWin 4a. Tried RAW on/off & reducing read speed to X1.

Any suggestions?

Last (dumb) question::emb:
What is the advantage of converting an original PS disk to ISO? Does it help with graphics / sound performance?

Cheers!

BTW: I'm using a SAMSUNG DVD/CDRW SM-308B drive

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Originally posted by Dingbat
Last (dumb) question::emb:
What is the advantage of converting an original PS disk to ISO? Does it help with graphics / sound performance?
making an iso can speed up the game considerably, since the hd is much faster and has lower access time than a cdrom drive.

·
Registered
18 Posts
So slowww!?

I see! Sounds like the way to go.

I tried making an ISO of an original FIF98 disk, when the first error came up, I selected to 'Replace with erroneous data' (for all occurrances).
After 2 hours, it was 3% through!!
Surely it is not meant to take that long--is it?

Anyone else have this problem? :confused:

Is there some setting I should edit? :eyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Something is wrong here...

Tried using CDRWin with the settings illustrated above, but same results as with ISOBuster (i.e. 1 hour later, 3% progress, & 100s of errors). By my calculations it will take me 33 hrs to rip one cd!!
So, whats left to check?
I disabled auto-insert notification (as recommended in the help files), DMA is selected (I have read elsewhere on this board that it doesn't normally have much of an effect).
My drive is a SAMSUNG DVD/CDRW drive.
It reads all disks fine - even got some PSX stuff running (although v. slowwwllyyyy so far - which is why I'm trying ISOs! :rolleyes: ).

:eek: What the fudge???:eek:

Any ideas?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update

Out of desperation :-( , I went onto the Dell support site and downloaded the latest firmware upgrade for my DVD/CDRW. and... It worked! :) Now I can rip most ISOs and get on with grappling with the plugin configurations...

Resident Evil 3 and Crash Bandicoot 1 & 2 play perfectly - great gfx! ;)

If you are having a similar problem, try www.dell.com - support section. If you are not using a Dell - try the equipment manufacturer's homepage.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.