Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie at psx emu, and therefore i have a great deal of problems when i try to make a game work.

Today I found a emulator called ePSXe (the latest), which I cannot make out at all. :confused:
On top of that, I'm trying to make FF9 Pal to work.

I have read all messages regarding ff9 and epsxe, but can't seem to find a clue to make the game work.

Could someone of you experts out there help a newbie?

My computer config goes as follows;

Amd 900 Athlon
256 mb ram
TnT2 card
Win ME

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm......... ops..
I'm not so familiar with the new face of psxemu or ngemu as it is called today... so I think I made "bobo" there.
I got a little frustrated when I tried to find wayz to make ff9 to work, so I just wrote a new tread....

I shall follow your advice.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok... after a little help from James Trotman, (look futher down on this reply), I got a little futher.
But now I have a problem patching the iso files? IF that is the way to do it....
Can someone give me a clue here?

Question:
"How do you get ff9 to work with epsxe?
I haven't got a clue how to configure epsxe with other than the wizard, and I have really no clue what a ISO is either.
I have computer similar to yours, but i have only a tnt2 card..."

Reply:
"Don't worry about the configuration. The wizard seems to do ok. I would advise downloading the null2 SPU though (gives better sound) - you should be able to find this on any PSX emulation site.

You can find the PAL patch at ***************
The patch you want is the UK PPF patch

You'll also need to download ppf-o-matic 2.0, which is also available on the same site.

Then use a program such as cdrwin (get the shareware version from www.goldenhawk.com) and rip the entire cd (presumably start with CD 1!) to your hard disk - you obviously need about 700 megs of HD space per cd. The use ppf-o-matic to apply the ppf patch (be sure to use the right patch for the right disc - there are 4 patches called hlg-ff91.ppf to hlg-ff94.ppf respectively - all are included in the patch zipfile) When the patch is applied, you can then run the *.bin file (cd rip) in epsxe. (select run iso from the file menu) This is also known as an ISO. You can also burn this altered bin file back to cd to make a patched cd version of the game. I don't have a cd writer, so I just run the ISO."

P.S I have left out the address to the patch because it is illegal to direct links to illegal material......
So you just have to search elsewhere for that....

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have the uk pal version of the game, ergo a diffrent patch.
My problem seems to be, that CDrWin does not create *.bin files instead of *.iso and the patch program therefore does not like it and perhaps screws up the ripped game...
The cd drive I use to rip the game, is a Hitachi DVD CDROM of some
sort.

Up till now, I have used the part of CDrWIN, that can be reached by clicking on the top, third from the left icon.
After some small adjustments, such as choosing a cd rom, I start to rip the game, I only get a file on 74 kb, it's surname is *.cue if that tells you something.

Can someone tell me what kind of configuration I need to do here.. I'm totaly unfamiliar with CDrWIN, so be very presise when you try to explain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
What do you mean by choosing 1x speed for everything?
Must I even choose 1x when I shall create a bin file?
After following the advice on the link you gave me, I created a bin file.. although on max speed on the cd-rom, but on mode 2.
When I then tried to patch the ********¤%!"#¤!#¤! file, I got a message that file didn't match the patch....

Just make it clear...
I have downloaded a uk patch which contains the following files;
Hlg-ff91.ppf Hlg-ff92.ppf Hlg-ff93.ppf and Hlg-ff94.ppf

I feel like the troubles will never end... perhaps I should just buy a ps2........................................(if I bother)...

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
well that's a solution , but why don't you make a iso with both files or use the new cd-rom plugin from pete and applay the patch there it's very simple

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
You have the correct patch files. I have the uk version myself. Personally I use isobuster instead of cdrwin. This is because its freeware and not a demo. Anyways as you are having major hassle maybe you should try this program. You can D/l it at www.isobuster.com . Once you have installed it run the program, then insert the ff9 cd. Right click on track1 and select extract to iso/bin. It will make a file called track1.bin. Then you can patch this. Hope this helps.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
Betamax, have you sent him (Isobuster maker) the 10 bucks he asked for? :lol:
But seriously, his argument for asking was very interesting.

Well, to not drift away too much from the topic. Making a ISO, and then playing with the realtime patching feature of pete's cdr plugin , would be better than burning (although they may be cheap) some CDRs for playing the game, since you won't need'em for use on your psx...(as you have the originals, don't you?)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Late in the night, I finally got to patch the *.bin file.
Then I tried to run the game through ePSXe, allas with poor outcome.
I need some advice with configuration of ePSX, what plugins I need and so on.
I have a TNT2 card with 16 mb ram, so it isn't the greatest, but although it should work, to make the game work in ePSXe.

By the way have some of you noticed a problem with entering the configuration of the game controllers?
ePSXe crashes when I try to enter.

For the one who asked, yes i have the original for the game......
(but then again, you can't be really sure now, can you?)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts