Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey! New to ePSXe, so feel free to talk to me like I'm your dad trying to figure out how to play a game. Never too much detail!

So I've got the emulator loaded with the SCPH1001 bios. I wanna know if it's possible to get my physical copy of FF6 to load on this emulator. I recall getting this sort of setup to work with a PS2 game back in the day but never attempted it with a PS1 disc.

I've tried selecting File -> Run CDROM but it just closes the application. Any sort of configuring required? Maybe my drive can't read PS1 discs? Supposedly, the make / model of my drive is "ASUS DRW-24F1ST" if that helps!

·
Registered
305 Posts
it is better to use DISC IMAGES. and so it is better to backup it (rip / dump).

there are several programs that allow you to do this, including RetroArch.

images are faster and safer in emulation.

you can follow this guide, there is no mystery, just run the software and choose the disc:

Disc Dumping Guide (DICUI) - Redump Wiki

at the end of the process you can compare the hash produced by the file with the hashes available on the redump site to find out if the copy was perfect or not.

the term "hash" can scare you, but it doesn't have much to worry about. "generate a hash" is just applying a mathematical function that will generate a code. if the code is the same present on the redump site, then the copy was perfect. only that.

redump.org • Discs

you can use Nirsoft HashMyFiles for the task. (freeware)

HashMyFiles: Calculate MD5/SHA1/CRC32 hash of files

cheers!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see... So, at the end of the day, it would be a lot easier and safer to just get an emulated copy to run instead of being stubborn about using my own disc.

I actually have a USB adapter for my PS memory card, though. If I use an emulated copy, would it still have the ability to load a save file from the card, as long as it's the same region?

·
Registered
305 Posts
TL;DR: I believe that there is no emulator that uses the same writing pattern as the console and so conversions by programs should be necessary.

I had a psx back in the day, but 15 years ago it broke or something. so I never used the adapter you're talking about.

sharing memory card between console and emulator I believe it has been done in the past with some programs, including with the investigation and the development by users of this forum. but it is not a path that I would follow.

I really like emulators. and I'm quite suspicious of emulation critics. perhaps there is some form of "everdrive" / "sd2snes" for playstation, something that allows the use of disk images because at the end of the day physical media degrades and it becomes increasingly difficult to find the original product (which in the vast majority of cases has not been marketed for decades).

as I didn't mess with any of that ... maybe the closest thing to you is Shendo's work, MemcardRex.

please check if any of the formats supported by the program are compatible with the files on the usb device.

download: MemcardRex 1.8 released
more info: https://github.com/ShendoXT/memcardrex

cheers!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts