Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!
im new ,as you can see on my stupid Topic either ..... ,but i don't seem to be able to extract the 2 mb file with winace or winrar.And in the configuration *manual* stood,i should do so.Do i need to get another extraction program?
Thanks!
(sorry,i bet this question was asked before....)

·
Narcissist
725 Posts
Isn't 7zip supposed to be an open standard and better than zip? An Open Source zealot first introduced me to it. I don't particularly care either way, but I guess open standards are good.

http://www.7-zip.org/faq.html

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
Chrono Archangel said:
your talking about the .7z file right?
You can extract this with 7Zip or the latest version of WinRAR.

...i really hope they stop using this compression :S
At the very least, they could tell the user what software they need to extract the archive and provide a link somewhere they can obtain it. That's not even mentioned anywhere on the site.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,906 Posts
FLaRe85 said:
At the very least, they could tell the user what software they need to extract the archive and provide a link somewhere they can obtain it. That's not even mentioned anywhere on the site.
That would be too easy.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
FLaRe85 said:
yeah, because no one can say "what the hell is 7z?" and go type it into Google.

i was just playing the devil's advocate, my humble opinion is that they should just make it a zip for cryin out loud, so what if 7z saves like some stupid nominal amount and they prove something...its like making sound files available but only making them in something like MPC which a lot of people don't know.

·
Registered
6,829 Posts
Chrono Archangel said:
...i really hope they stop using this compression :S
Nah, ppl just need to stop being lazy and try to search over the net basic questions like this :p (please don't feel offended bensen :))
I dream with the day when emulators like pj64 and epsxe will use 7z as compressed files :rolleyes: I have compressed a 600mb iso that got 375mb in 7z =)

·
Premium Member
8,394 Posts
Miretank, no offense taken.
I have absolutly no problems at all with 7Zip. They do a freakin good compression thats for sure. But for a small app like PCSX2, the extra compression really isnt needed. In the end, the user ends up downloading more (ive explained this in a post before...). Instead of just having to download a PCSX2.zip file, he needs get PCSX2.7z and the proggy to extraxt it.

For a few KB less, in this case, its useless.
I'll quote Falcon4ever... "We have more 7zip questions then BIOS requests :S"

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
you guys just restated what i said :p (aka, people are dumb, why cant they google it or something, and, the actual savings isnt much) hey at least you agree

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
Right this has been amusing, but a few points:
  • Download 7zip once, download lots of PCSX2 releases, soon the download of 7zip becomes worthwhile.
  • Saves bandwidth, even if it's tiny, it soon accumulates.
  • Seriously how hard is it to http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=7z&btnG=Google+Search&meta= and if you can't do that, well...
  • The old site was a mix of ace, rar, tar, zip and beyond, and never before did we get such issues, as lets be honest most dumbass's use "windows zip folder", perhaps the success of the site is to blame for an increased # of requests, which is a good thing.
  • 7z truly is a marvelous format, and imo it needs to spread in popularity, if the people who can download it and use it gain from it's great compression, call it spreading the 'good word'!
  • PCSX2 and it's components have had over half a million downloads, the number of downloads vs the number of complaints makes this fussed over issue pretty marginal, infact the mods of these forums do more whining than the few emails I have had, and the posts on this site!

Mind you after much like hushy and playing 'devil's advocate' I can agree mistakes where made over this matter, we forgot that the majority of people downloading this where the average PCSX2 forum user base, or 'people with lowered IQ'. :lol: :p

Thus a 'download 7zip' link is provided at the top of the downloads section.

Of course if we'd given it out in zip, you realise 'someone' wouldn't be able to 'run' the file, because they don't have 'windows zip folders', which begs the question if the release had come in zips would we have to hold their hands and point them to winZIP, I ponder if PCSX2 needs an installer, because I've even had:

"Mr CKemu, hi and congrats to the PCSX2 team for a great project, but where does PCSX2 install I don't see an icon on my desktop!! and I looked in my program files to"

It's shocking that things have to be dumbed down so much, even when emulation is considered one of the more 'advanced' PC hobbies you can have, I personaly have to consider it bain to the advancement of the OS, but thats a different subject matter!

Of course it's the job of the designer to accomodate the end user, so the mistake is mine, and I apologies for causing our dear mods 'oh so much strife', so the downloads section is now more accomodating.

·
PCSX2 Coder
11,343 Posts
ChankastRules said:
If it's that important they should be using winRK 3.0.2 or something like that.

http://www.maximumcompression.com/data/summary_mf.php
well after testing this winRK (which is commercial software btw and 7zip is free) it is the most un-userfriendly heap of crap ive ever had the missfortune to use.

i think most people who use pcsx2 wouldnt have the slightest clue on how to use this

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.