Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,
One of my computer had two hard drives in them, with one of them being newer and was added later. After adding the new drive, I did a new Windows installation. This creates a somewhat messy situation: the partition labeled "C" was taken by the older drive. When I go to "Computer Management" and "disk management", the C partition was labeled as "system" while the partition with the current Windows install is labeled as "boot". Just the other day I had to take out the older drive for certain reason, after that, that computer won't boot Windows, prompting "insert system disk". I boot via XP CD and attempted a repair. I tried "fixboot" and then "bootcfg /add", which said the addition failed. I'm guessing both problems are due to the fact that the "system" partition is removed? If so, how do you create a new one? Could someone explain why/how Windows label drives as "active", "system", and "boot"?
Thank you.

edit: I no longer have the older drive

·
Premium Member
2,776 Posts
The system not booting from your hard drive is not a problem related to the partition (I think). My guess is that the BIOS is not configured to boot anything but the drive that you just removed. Basically, if you just configure the BIOS properly, it should work fine.

But I just thought about something. The old drive was probably set as Primary Master (the ide channel), while the newer drive was set to something else (either primary slave, or secondary master). If you removed the old drive, the Primary Master is no longer available. I think it's reccomended that you set your new drive as the Primary Master (you will have to open your case to do it, check which channel the drive is connected to, and the jumpers in the back of the hd).

·
Registered
608 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply.
I've tried configuring the BIOS, telling it to boot from HDD0, HDD1, etc, but no go. Yes, the old HDD was originally the primary master with the new HDD being set to slave. I moved the new HDD to primary master when it didn't boot.

BTW, as it's a new install it doesn't have much on it. Primarily I just want to know how to solve a problem like this.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.