Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to start loading up my ipod touch with anime, but I need a way to convert the .mkv and .avi files to h.264. I've already done some googling on this, and it seems like a common solution is to use quicktime pro to export to the correct video format, but I've also been reading A LOT of negative reviews for quicktime pro.

What options are there for converting video formats? I think Nero does this? I'm completely new to video encoding/conversion, so I have absolutely no familiarity with well known programs, methods, etc. I'm not opposed to spending money on the program, just as long as it's a good investment;).

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
Quicktime Pro is garbage, pure and simple. It also doesn't handle the .mkv video container format.

Nero 9 certainly works. I believe a trial version is available on their website. Just make sure to use version 9 because older versions don't handle .mkv.

You can also try Xvid4PSP and RipBot264. I can't remember if they can handle .mkv though. :???:

·
Pink Poney
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
excellent, thanks for the advice. seems a bit pricey for what i want to do, but there's no doubt that i'll be using nero 9 as long as i want to continue putting video on my ipod. maybe i'll find more interesting ways to take advantage of the software in the future.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
Nero occasionally runs specials where you can snag a copy rather cheaply. I picked up my copy for $30USD. Keep your eyes peeled around holidays. ;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
h.264 is a codec, not a format. If you've got anime in MKV format, it's almost definitely encoded in h.264. As I recall, iPods use MP4 format for video, both SUPER and MediaCoder can help you with that for free. Correct me if I'm wrong about the format that iPods use, though.

We might need to put together a sticky that compiles all the information we have on video formats, codecs, software, and conversion. Seems like every other topic is something like "How do I convert video format X to X?":???:

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
h.264 is a codec, not a format. If you've got anime in MKV format, it's almost definitely encoded in h.264. As I recall, iPods use MP4 format for video, both SUPER and MediaCoder can help you with that for free. Correct me if I'm wrong about the format that iPods use, though.

We might need to put together a sticky that compiles all the information we have on video formats, codecs, software, and conversion. Seems like every other topic is something like "How do I convert video format X to X?":???:
You just opened a can of worms there Hawke. :p

Depending on how you are referring to MKV, it is either a container or a format. It's a format if your video steam is H.264 and the audio stream(s) is AAC. You can also refer to it as a container file since it's not limited to just these codecs. You can use the Cinepak codec with uncompressed PCM audio and multiple subtitle streams if you so choose. (not recommended, just an example)

You can imagine a container format as a box in which you pack in your video, audio, and subtitle stream into. MKV, OGG, MP4, AVI, QT are just some examples. Most of these have a standard by which, if you follow it, you will be adhering to the format's specifications. I've seen quite a few MKVs that have MPEG4-ASP video streams packed with CBR MP3 audio streams and hard-subbed subtitles. These videos could have just as easily packed into an AVI container.

As for the iPod's format, the "official" format is MP4 or M4V, using H.264 video codec with AAC VBR audio. (subtitles are optional) It can also handle MPEG4-ASP and MP3 audio, but must use the MP4 or M4V container.

As for a sticky, that might be a good idea. I too have noticed an increase in questions regarding video encoding...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yeah, I know MKV isn't just limited to the h.264 codec. However, since he said anime, I assume he means fansubs, and fansubbers seem to use h.264 religiously these days. Can't say I like MKV or modern fansub encoding, though.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Get an ATi card :evil:

Then again, I doubt there's no CUDA stuff that can do it?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
For CUDA enabled nVidia GPUs there's TMPGEnc 4.0 and Badaboom. Both can perform CUDA assisted H.264 encoding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts