Next Generation Emulation banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
i know its old thread but i think i solved it and here is the solution...
i wanna explain all so i will start over and it will be very detailed for who not knows enough as us these things. (sorry about my english i learnt from games :))

*** Batery is save method which uses for in-game save and i think this is original method as programming and its extension for no$gba is".SAV" and for gba emulator is ".sa1 .sa2..."
*** Save state is snapshot method which came with emulator and i think its 3rd party and not legal (because you can save anytime with these option) and its extension is ".sg", ".sn" or something like these...
*** 128kbit or 64kbit is ordinary file size that we all known. You can check from file properties (right-click->properties :))

You have batery(.sa1) and state of save(.sg). we cant use state(.sg) for transfer save to another emulator cause it identical for each emulator but batery(.sav) is original method and has same programming syntax.

So we need the batery(.sa1) for transfer but no$gba uses 128kbit and gba uses 64kbit or corrupted batery(.sa1) for ours situation we have healthy save state(.sg).

Suppose you have 64kbit batery or corrupted, when you try;
Delete batery-> change save method(from options->emulator->save type) 128kbit -> load rom -> load state -> save batery (in-game saving)
you will see new batery(.sa1) file is still 64kbit or corrupted. Because save state(.sg) or .ini file or something else we cant see change it to 64kbit batery.
We need to delete everything (after backup all files for sure) and create new folder and put the only and only emulator .exe (which is vba.exe), .gba file and save state(.sg) not .ini, not batery just 3 of them.

after that we can apply steps of post above...

1) start emulator and load rom
2) chose 128kbit(from options->emulator->save style) and load state
3) save batery (in-game saving). this will create .sa1 or .sav etc. And file size of this file must be 128kbit
now we have 128kbit healthy save data, the original one, the batery:))
4) When you open .ini file of no$gba you will see "SAV/SNA File Format == blabla" row. blabla can be compressed, uncompressed or raw. It must be "raw", if not change it to "raw".
5) Change extension of batery file ".sa1" to ".sav" . Now you can use save file for no$gba. Move to batery folder of no$gba, if there is not batery folder create one or start new game and save in-game, it will create and delete data in folder and move created batery in it.
6) Opne no$gba -> load rom -> start normaly and load normaly. And you can paly your game in new emulator.
7) Enjoy...

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problems
Hello.
First of all I would like to say thank you for the guide.
however it does not work completely in my case :(
I am playing Pokémon FireRed and had the same problem as anyone else. The thing is I am haveing trouble completing the very last step, step 8: save your game, in-game.
It still gives me the same error message "There is allready a save file. Is it okay to override it?" I press yes and it return the allready famous "Save error. Please exchange the backup memory" In other words, it did not work. I checked my battery file and it's 128kb, I can save just fine from a new game.

Any suggestions?
- Andreas
Hello, I just found a way to fix this issue and force the game to save. It's a solution I found whilst browsing youtube for that problem, and mixing what this thread says with the youtube comment solution, I could eventually "convert" my 64k save-state stuck at the Elite Four to a 128k battery savegame file.

So, the beginning is exactly as Adameus said from step 1 up to the 7th:

1) Keep ur save state¹. (.sg1 file extension in VBA 1.8.0-511)
2) Delete your battery file. (.sa1 file extension in VBA 1.8.0-511)
3) Start a new game.
4) Save in game a soon as u can (after choosing ur name and the prof.speech).
5) Close the rom and check if the battery save weights 128kB.
6) Open the game and load ur save (the working battery one, not the save state).
7) Load ur save state AND PUT THE SAVE TYPE BACK INTO 128K Flash!!! Indeed the save state loads also the emulator config.
(Do it even if the emulator still shows 128k checked, click it again)

Then we'll add one more step before the last one that would fail: Before saving one last time in the game, we'll use one of VBA's features:
8)
1- Go to Tools > Memory viewer...
2- In the top right corner box next to Go, type 3005004
3- Click Go
4- Change the first two numbers of the topmost line from "00" to "01" (that's all, you don't need to apply or validate anything or click save... just close the Memory viewer window once you changed those numbers)​

This little memory hack should remove the "Save error. Please exchange the backup memory" message and allow you to finally save normally in the game and keep a 128k battery save file.
So then, proceed with the last step: 9) Save in game.

This enabled me to beat the Elite Four and after the ending and reboot of the game, I could continue playing normally from Pallet Town and having beaten the Elite Four ;D

I'm using VisualBoyAdvance 1.8.0-511 and my game is Pokémon Fire Red.

1. Beware that your save-state has to be done before the final automatic game-save that occurs after beating your rival once you defeated the Elite Four. Otherwise this guide won't help at all given the game won't try to auto-save anymore until "THE END" reboot.

Edit: I noticed that the address at which you must change the "00" value to "01" might be slightly different in other versions of the game: For instance, in the French version of the game, the address of that value is 3004F54. Using this version myself, it is the one I changed to be able to save.
For the US version, it should be the address I wrote in this tutorial (3005004)

Anyway, thanks a ton Adameus for this guide, and to whomever came up with this little hack

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, I just found a way to fix this issue and force the game to save. It's a solution I found whilst browsing youtube for that problem, and mixing what this thread says with the youtube comment solution, I could eventually "convert" my 64k save-state stuck at the Elite Four to a 128k battery savegame file.

3) Start a new game.
6) Open the game and load ur save (the working battery one, not the save state).
7) Load ur save state AND PUT THE SAVE TYPE BACK INTO 128K Flash!!! Indeed the save state loads also the emulator config.

Then we'll add one more step before the last one that would fail: Before saving one last time in the game, we'll use one of VBA's features:
8)
1- Go to Tools > Memory viewer...
2- In the top right corner box next to Go, type 3005004
3- Click Go
4- Change the first two numbers of the topmost line from "00" to "01" (that's all, you don't need to apply or validate anything or click save... just close the Memory viewer window once you changed those numbers)​

This little memory hack should remove the "Save error. Please exchange the backup memory" message and allow you to finally save normally in the game and keep a 128k battery save file.

This enabled me to beat the Elite Four and after the ending and reboot of the game, I could continue playing normally from Pallet Town and having beaten the Elite Four ;D

1. Beware that your save-state has to be done before the final automatic game-save that occurs after beating your rival once you defeated the Elite Four. Otherwise this guide won't help at all given the game won't try to auto-save anymore until "THE END" reboot.

Edit: I noticed that the address at which you must change the "00" value to "01" might be slightly different in other versions of the game: For instance, in the French version of the game, the address of that value is 3004F54. Using this version myself, it is the one I changed to be able to save.

Anyway, thanks a ton Adameus for this guide, and to whomever came up with this little hack
I would just like to say, thank you so very much. You are a God. I made an account for this just to say thank you.

·
Registered
1 Posts

3) Start a new game.

8)
1- Go to Tools > Memory viewer...​
2- In the top right corner box next to Go, type 3005004​
3- Click Go​

same here, I especially made an account just for you. thanks man, ur the real mvp and adameus too, u both rocks!

21 - 24 of 24 Posts