Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi people!!! This is my first post and im doing it to help all those who have problems with their save type, especially in Pokemon and Golden Sun.
Many of you know that Pokemon cannot work with 64k flash saves, you have to use 128k in order for the save to work. But many still play in 64k and therefore use save states instead of battery saves (.sav files). Then you reach Gary or the Elite 4 or watever the name (I dont personnaly play pokemon, and never reached those final fights) and after you beat them, it says ur save is corrupted and will be erased... You're doom... Now u have to start from the beginning... :cry: Well not really. Here is wat to do to ''convert'' ur save state into a working battery save:
1) Keep ur save state.
2) Delete your battery file.
3) Start a new game.
4) Save in game a soon as u can (after choosing ur name and the prof.speech).
5) Close the rom and check if the battery save weights 128kB.
6) Open the game and load ur save (the working battery one, not the save state).
7) Load ur save state AND PUT THE SAVE TYPE BACK INTO 128K Flash!!! Indeed the save state loads also the emulator config.
8) Save in game.
Voila!!! It should work, it worked for me... My cousin had to put it in 128k, then 64k, then back in 128k, dunno why...
For Golden Sun its the exact opposite. Dont u dare to forget this vba-over.ini file. And youd better configure the vba-over file AFTER ur save have been repeared.
Good luck, if it doesnt work, answer this post, ill try my best.

And i read this solution on this forum once, but it was like 2years ago, and i cant find it back, so credits go to the guy who thought of that in the first place. I just hope my english is good enough to be understood, it should but i rarely speak english, so forgive any weird mistakes.

·
Waaa :(
98 Posts
Heh, great. I started a new Pokemon game way back because of that >.>
"For Golden Sun its the exact opposite." Do you mean exactly the same?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I mean golden sun works in 64k instead of 128k, so if u saved in 128k, u have to convert it in 64k. so the title of my thread may be wrong... plus i remember succesfully converting a flash save in an eeprom save (it was for dbz legacy of goku i think). and it seems that vba 1.8.0 doesnt even load the rom if u choose the wrong save type, it will give u a white screen instead...
ill have to create a corrupted battery save on purpose just to play a little with it...
i know the trick works, but i think there is a difference between reseting ur rom and closing then reopen it. also weither u close then change save type then reopen or u change save type then close then reopen, it may or may not work. if i find anything new, ill edit my previous post.

@forgotten: wat about exporting battery files? does it work like save states meaning u can export in middle of a fight? never got that stuff working...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
is it final fantasy tactics? u need it to be converted from what to what? And which version of vba do you use? Also which version of fft? i dont remember having problems with that game...
does this trick works for anybody else than me???

EDIT:i see, Error in backup memory. That game works in 64k. gimme some time ill try something.
maybe its harder to go from 128k to 64k than the opposite. keep ur save states meanwhile. try to save state just before a save point or something like that (forgot how was the game). if u can save when u want like pokemon it will be easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
how do you do it from 64k to 128k??
and the sav state is the SAV file right?
so then what would be the battery file
and how do you save it with 128k?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello

Can I Join This Posts?
Maybe You Will Get Some Information About Visual Gameboy Advance
OK!

Maybe You Will get the Battery in help

If you Know it Please Tell me !

·
Registered
3 Posts
1) Keep ur save state.
3) Start a new game.
6) Open the game and load ur save (the working battery one, not the save state).
7) Load ur save state AND PUT THE SAVE TYPE BACK INTO 128K Flash!!! Indeed the save state loads also the emulator config.
8) Save in game.

ok when you say keep save state, and delete battery file... which is which?
i dont think i have a battery file. all i have is a CLT, GBA, and SAV file

·
Registered
4 Posts
I tried many things to convert my FFTA save to flash 64k but nothing worked,
I erased my *.sa1 file but I kept my *.sg1 files, then close the rom and changed the save type to automatic 64k, loaded the rom again and tried to save in-game and it works, but when I load my *.sg1 files using F1 my *.sa1 file became a 128k one, please anyone could give any idea because I don't want to lose the long time I have played it. thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
this method works!!! (for pokemon)

I have done a test, I found the key to E4 is to ***check*** the 128 KB flash, ***even when it is already checked***.

It displays as 128 KB, but the setting is still 64KB. So dont get fooled by the display, click it again even if its already checked!

**to SlasheR below me:
E4 as in Elite4, a team of poketrainer in Pokemon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just go to the directory where you put ur .gba rom
look for a .sav (depanding on which emulator u use..if its VBAlink it may become sa1 or sa2 or something else) that has the *same name as the rom*.
check the size of that file.

·
Registered
4 Posts
More problems ;P
I admit that I am lousy with the computer so I'm quite lost at here :S

1) Keep ur save state.
3) Start a new game.
8) Save in game.

I'm having trouble with part 5, 6 and 7. I checked and my .sav file is 64kB. How do I make it 128kB? And what's this about 128kB flash?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry to bring back and old thread but this is the only one i could find to fix my problem. Also, I am new to these forums and new to emulators in general so I'm just starting to understand them. Lastly, I understand that questions similar to this are asked about every month and usually the only relpy is "USE SEARCH" but I do not see a definate answer to the problem in other forums.

I played pokemon firered fairly far along and I want to be able to trade with my friends who have the program as well. To trade you must be able to save in game. I have been saving using savestates and when i try to save I get that "exchange backup memory error". Also, Since the begining of me playing, whenever i start the game it says "1m sub-circuit board not detected". I have figured out that my save state is in fact 64k which i know is the reason it is not working. My question now is will this method convert the file to 128K. I have tried all the steps in the process listed but i still get the same error message in game. I may not be doing it right but I believe I am. The only part I am confused on is where it says "AND PUT THE SAVE TYPE BACK INTO 128K Flash". When I open the save state the 128k is checked already. I still do check it as it was mentioned in a later post to do so. I have also tried this with the vba-over.ini and still it does not work. Mabye this method does not work for firered or mabye I am doing something wrong. I have no idea what to do and I would like to salvage this game as I have a lot of work on it. Your help is greatly appreciated and I'm sorry to ask such a commonly asked question.

-phil

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry to bring back and old thread but this is the only one i could find to fix my problem. Also, I am new to these forums and new to emulators in general so I'm just starting to understand them. Lastly, I understand that questions similar to this are asked about every month and usually the only relpy is "USE SEARCH" but I do not see a definate answer to the problem in other forums.

I played pokemon firered fairly far along and I want to be able to trade with my friends who have the program as well. To trade you must be able to save in game. I have been saving using savestates and when i try to save I get that "exchange backup memory error". Also, Since the begining of me playing, whenever i start the game it says "1m sub-circuit board not detected". I have figured out that my save state is in fact 64k which i know is the reason it is not working. My question now is will this method convert the file to 128K. I have tried all the steps in the process listed but i still get the same error message in game. I may not be doing it right but I believe I am. The only part I am confused on is where it says "AND PUT THE SAVE TYPE BACK INTO 128K Flash". When I open the save state the 128k is checked already. I still do check it as it was mentioned in a later post to do so. I have also tried this with the vba-over.ini and still it does not work. Mabye this method does not work for firered or mabye I am doing something wrong. I have no idea what to do and I would like to salvage this game as I have a lot of work on it. Your help is greatly appreciated and I'm sorry to ask such a commonly asked question.

-phil
sorry phil. as you may have already figured out by now, there is no fix for FR that will save your hard work. trust me. I searched long and hard and tried every possible method short of not restarting the game and nothing worked. and I am just as saddened as you are since it took me about 30 mins just to catch articuno....

·
PC game modder
6,949 Posts
You realise you revived a 2 yr old thread?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Problems

Hello.
First of all I would like to say thank you for the guide.
however it does not work completely in my case :(
I am playing Pokémon FireRed and had the same problem as anyone else. The thing is I am haveing trouble completing the very last step, step 8: save your game, in-game.
It still gives me the same error message "There is allready a save file. Is it okay to override it?" I press yes and it return the allready famous "Save error. Please exchange the backup memory" In other words, it did not work. I checked my battery file and it's 128kb, I can save just fine from a new game.

Any suggestions?
- Andreas

1 - 20 of 24 Posts