Next Generation Emulation banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Most people who have tested the E8400/8800GT/2 sticks of RAM combo seem to report 250 to 300 watt load usage, so you'd be surprised at how little some systems need. I assume that's with one or two hard drives and one optical drive, and obviously not every component was under load (all things are under load for a split second on startup though), but it goes to show how overkill many are on PSUs (not that it's a bad thing, so long as you don't think these overkill PSUs are the minimum). It's not about wattage. It's about quality. I'd much rather have a quality, well reputation brand, and efficient 350 watt PSU powering my computer than a no-name 500 watt PSU, for example. I decided to get a decent PSU and get both (without going overkill on the wattage amount).

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, I might get a 8800 GT at some point before the end of January(which is why I was asking for it's max power draw and such).

And the problem with most PSUs is that unless it's from a well known brand(such as Thermaltake or Corsair), even if it says it's output is of 500W/600W, they only really give you 250-300W of actual power and have peaks of 400W at most.

But a 400W Thermaltake costs like 200 USD here. Paying that much I can get a GTX 260 or so. -_-

I cleaned the entire PC yesterday, and it has yet to hang, so it probably was a heat dissipation problem.

Oh, and Lord Zedeck, this gamepad is probably the best one I've had so far. I haven't tried the Xbox 360 one(which is the other gamepad I've heard a lot about), but I definitely recommend this one over pretty much any other gamepad out there.

·
Registered
82 Posts
You want just enough head room so that your computer will load at the point where your PSU is most efficient, which is between 20-70% of the PSU max watts.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
actually it has one the other one is supplied through the molex converter

and by the way i run 2 HDDs and 2 optical drivers:wub:

something about the power usage on the INTERNET is just fake
Because people running those PSU tests with professional equipment can't be wrong :p

Like IronicMan said, you're supposed to have headroom. There will come a time where a spike in usage will occur and you'll regret it :p

However, there has been very rare cases where simple generic looking PSUs picked from junk piles have outperformed highly acclaimed PSUs. I had the article bookmarked few months ago...before my sudden reformat :(

·
Registered
51 Posts
Get Fortron or Seasonic with 80+ efficiency. Avoid no name or bad brands like plague because it can fry your computer. (Also 350W from Fortron means average load, 350W from bad brand means peak load. Running at peak load for few months means a large flash and a fried mainboard.)

Active PFC is a nice bonus.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Actually, most of the more common liked brands like Corsair and Antec are built by the more renown ones, like PC Power and Cooling and Seasonic. Usually for only the higher wattage ones though.

There's a list out there that evades me at the moment which tables which PSU is actually built by which manufacturer, regardless of what box it came in :p

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Oh, and Lord Zedeck, this gamepad is probably the best one I've had so far. I haven't tried the Xbox 360 one(which is the other gamepad I've heard a lot about), but I definitely recommend this one over pretty much any other gamepad out there.
Thanks. That's good to hear. It looks like I'll be grabbing me one (or perhaps two) then.

I've been looking for a Playstation imitation controller (so that excludes the Xbox 360 controller) that seemed decent for emulation. I'd prefer getting it at Newegg, and if I found nothing, I'd fallback to getting an adapter for my actual Playstation controller. Anyway, I first came across two Logitech ones. One had great reviews, but no analog sticks, so I passed it up. The other had analog sticks, but terrible reviews, so I passed on it. The other day, I found the one you have and it had good reviews, so I was thinking I'd get that one.

If you say it's a great one, it looks like this is the one for me.
Actually, most of the more common liked brands like Corsair and Antec are built by the more renown ones, like PC Power and Cooling and Seasonic. Usually for only the higher wattage ones though.
PC Power & Cooling doesn't make their own PSUs. Their current Silencers are made by SeaSonic, and their old Silencers were made by someone else. Their Turbo Cool line is made by yet someone else. SeaSonic also makes PSUs for Corsair, and Antec.

The list you may be thinking of may be one a type of chart where you find the builder based on the UL number?

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Articles - Database of PSU OEMs, websites and UL numbers.

Here's the official one.

UL Online Certifications Directory

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
PC Power & Cooling doesn't make their own PSUs. Their current Silencers are made by SeaSonic, and their old Silencers were made by someone else. Their Turbo Cool line is made by yet someone else. SeaSonic also makes PSUs for Corsair, and Antec.

The list you may be thinking of may be one a type of chart where you find the builder based on the UL number?

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Articles - Database of PSU OEMs, websites and UL numbers.

Here's the official one.

UL Online Certifications Directory
I had a different list, but that's a good one too. And yeah, I knew Corsair and Antec were built by someone else, just didn't know PC Power and Cooling was too...interesting. I should start investing in Seasonic :lol:

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
Really? I thought they were kind of underrated, at least compared to the popular ones like OCZ and Thermaltake, which are good, but not quite as good, yet more popular. Antec is good, but I'd still take a good PC Power & Cooling or Corsair over Antec unless I was going budget level, which is where Antec has almost everyone beat.

Really, it's hard to say a brand is better than another since some Brands have good and not so good models, and different lines are made by different OEMs. You have to do it on a model by model basis, which is what reviews are for.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Zedeck, PC Power and cooling are good, but there top end models have a suprisingly so-so reputation. When the computer is turned off, their have been rports of a humming sound even though the comp is in standby. One customer touched the psu to find it getting extremely hot (this due to the fan being off in S3 standby). He was concerned as the psu was rated at 1,200 watts....not something you want to leave frying unsupervised. I hope PPC has fixed this problem, as I was looking into them for my next build.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
You're going to find and get bad experiences and single bad parts with any company and model. Unless these "reports" are widespread and consistent, I wouldn't count them.

Mine hasn't overheated. Mine hasn't made any odd noises. Granted, mine isn't the 1,200 watt model either.

I'm not entirely sure how every detail of S3 works, so I can't comment on that.

PC Power & Cooling may not be the best, but it's certainly among them, and it's certainly anything but overrated.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.