Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Get a good quality 500W. It's a bit more then you need, but it's a keeper if you plan on doing some light future upgrades. Plus, they're dirt cheap nowadays. People are paying through the nose for bigger PSUs like 850W+.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Hm...
I could, perhaps, get a 9800, but I don't know if it'd be worth it.
I've heard an 8800 can max most games nowadays(bar Crysis. Damned thing is just too ugly optimized). This is getting off-topic fast, but hey, this rather than a load of new topics.

Were I to get an 8800 GT, should I get a 512 MB one or higher? I know for a fact that most of the time GPUs are limited by their speed and never get to use the higher FBs(I just don't know if that's the case with the 8800 GT and say, 1 GB of FB).

EDIT: And Interverse's post now makes me feel like crap. Stupid country. A 500W PSU is roughly 50-100 USD here. I think I can get a 1 GB 8800 GT for about 180 USD over here.
The 8800 is perfectly fine for the average PC gamer. Unless you play with cranked up resolutions and AA, AF etc on max, it'll be fine.

As for the 512MB vs 1GB, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248090-33-asus-8800gt-512mb-asus-8800gt . Only extreme cards like the 4870x2 needs 1GB.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I <3 my Antec 850W True Power. One of the most stable PSUs ever, 3 year warranty, looks awesome with the yellow stripes and it's less then $200.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Me too. A 4870x2 with a C2D overclocked that high with a 305w? That PSU must have rails not even superman can break oO

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
actually it has one the other one is supplied through the molex converter

and by the way i run 2 HDDs and 2 optical drivers:wub:

something about the power usage on the INTERNET is just fake
Because people running those PSU tests with professional equipment can't be wrong :p

Like IronicMan said, you're supposed to have headroom. There will come a time where a spike in usage will occur and you'll regret it :p

However, there has been very rare cases where simple generic looking PSUs picked from junk piles have outperformed highly acclaimed PSUs. I had the article bookmarked few months ago...before my sudden reformat :(

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Actually, most of the more common liked brands like Corsair and Antec are built by the more renown ones, like PC Power and Cooling and Seasonic. Usually for only the higher wattage ones though.

There's a list out there that evades me at the moment which tables which PSU is actually built by which manufacturer, regardless of what box it came in :p

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
PC Power & Cooling doesn't make their own PSUs. Their current Silencers are made by SeaSonic, and their old Silencers were made by someone else. Their Turbo Cool line is made by yet someone else. SeaSonic also makes PSUs for Corsair, and Antec.

The list you may be thinking of may be one a type of chart where you find the builder based on the UL number?

JonnyGURU.com - Power Supply Reviews and more! - Articles - Database of PSU OEMs, websites and UL numbers.

Here's the official one.

UL Online Certifications Directory
I had a different list, but that's a good one too. And yeah, I knew Corsair and Antec were built by someone else, just didn't know PC Power and Cooling was too...interesting. I should start investing in Seasonic :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts