Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been having problems with my PSU as of late(which is no wonder, considering it's a 250W PSU >_>).

Here's my PC:

Motherboard: MSI K9-AGM
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 5600+(2.9 GHz)
RAM: 1 GB DDR2 @667 MHz
GPU: nVidia GeForce 8600 GTS(max usage is about 70W, as far as I know)

Then the usual:
USB Mouse(Genius. The optical type)
PS/2 Keyboard(a Genius multimedia keyboard)
USB Logitech Rumblepad 2
1 DVD drive(read-only)
1 DVD+RW recorder
USB Printer(Epson Stylus CX4100, if it matters)
Then there's Creative Inspire T3100 for speakers(though they get their power from a separate source, as far as I know), and a Samsung SyncMaster 940NW 19" LCD monitor(which I believe also gets its power from the wall and not the PSU).

I know it'd be best if I simply get a 500-600W PSU, but how much should a setup like that use?

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Get a good quality 500W. It's a bit more then you need, but it's a keeper if you plan on doing some light future upgrades. Plus, they're dirt cheap nowadays. People are paying through the nose for bigger PSUs like 850W+.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll probably get a 450-500W PSU so I can later upgrade at leisure, then.

Kinda off-topic, but...

A 8800 GT/GTS/GTX(I can't remember if there's even a GTX) or a 9600 GT?

EDIT: Oh, what brand could be considered "good quality" when it comes to PSUs?

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
He said what would it take to run his system and I told him. Truth be told, though. I got my 500W goodpower PSU for $35.

Yeah, that cheap. Buy one or die.

·
Finger of Doom
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hm...
I could, perhaps, get a 9800, but I don't know if it'd be worth it.
I've heard an 8800 can max most games nowadays(bar Crysis. Damned thing is just too ugly optimized). This is getting off-topic fast, but hey, this rather than a load of new topics.

Were I to get an 8800 GT, should I get a 512 MB one or higher? I know for a fact that most of the time GPUs are limited by their speed and never get to use the higher FBs(I just don't know if that's the case with the 8800 GT and say, 1 GB of FB).

EDIT: And Interverse's post now makes me feel like crap. Stupid country. A 500W PSU is roughly 50-100 USD here. I think I can get a 1 GB 8800 GT for about 180 USD over here.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Hm...
I could, perhaps, get a 9800, but I don't know if it'd be worth it.
I've heard an 8800 can max most games nowadays(bar Crysis. Damned thing is just too ugly optimized). This is getting off-topic fast, but hey, this rather than a load of new topics.

Were I to get an 8800 GT, should I get a 512 MB one or higher? I know for a fact that most of the time GPUs are limited by their speed and never get to use the higher FBs(I just don't know if that's the case with the 8800 GT and say, 1 GB of FB).

EDIT: And Interverse's post now makes me feel like crap. Stupid country. A 500W PSU is roughly 50-100 USD here. I think I can get a 1 GB 8800 GT for about 180 USD over here.
The 8800 is perfectly fine for the average PC gamer. Unless you play with cranked up resolutions and AA, AF etc on max, it'll be fine.

As for the 512MB vs 1GB, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248090-33-asus-8800gt-512mb-asus-8800gt . Only extreme cards like the 4870x2 needs 1GB.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
the watts are not important, but the amperage on the rails is. my 500w Antec Basiq in my game cube could barely power a 8600gt oc

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I <3 my Antec 850W True Power. One of the most stable PSUs ever, 3 year warranty, looks awesome with the yellow stripes and it's less then $200.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Efficiency>amperage on rails>wattages>warrenty

Look for those if you planning on buying a new psu and I highly recommend Corsair's brand, if anyone knows anything about psu then they should know or heard about Corsair. ;) Oh yeah, Corsair got a 5 years warrenty on their power supplies. It's better to have spare room (watts) then not having enough watts ;) More is better in the computer/technology world.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
tuanming's first post makes what I would have said not need to be said. I'd have recommended the exact same, but also would have added the PC Power & Cooling ones.

What does that computer need? Well, a 300 watt quality PSU would likely run it very well, but if you're going new now, and are planning on upgrading the video card right away, give yourself some headroom. Get 500W-600W I'd say. It's not overkill but gives you alot of room.

As for the video card, get a GeForce 8800GT/9800GT (they're actually the same card despite different names) or a Radeon HD4830/HD4850. Despite being older, they still pretty much have the best price to performance ratios, and are very cheap now. The HD4850 is slightly better than the other three, and the others are all about equal.

By the way, since the thread went off topic at some turns, may I ask you how that controller is working for you? I was thinking of picking up a few for emulators.

P.S. Squall-Leonhart, the 8800GS (which was renamed to the 9600GSO) is worse than the 9600GT. Otherwise, you're right. Every other 8800 card is better than the 9600 cards.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
The 8800 is perfectly fine for the average PC gamer. Unless you play with cranked up resolutions and AA, AF etc on max, it'll be fine.

As for the 512MB vs 1GB, http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/248090-33-asus-8800gt-512mb-asus-8800gt . Only extreme cards like the 4870x2 needs 1GB.
Not really, there's already several games that benefit from more memory. Especially when you play on high resolutions, which is what those cards are made for. For a mainstream card needed to run games at 1440*900 512MB is enough. Go over it and you like to install texture packs for games like oblivion, crank up AA/AF and want to be able to do so for future games, 1024 isn't that much of a luxury anymore. You simply don't want your game to stutter because of video memory bottleneck.

Anyway, I have a 580W Hiper, that has about 360W on the 12v rails which matter, it's been in use for 3 years now and has never failed me. It currently powers an overclocked Q8200 and a 4870, of which the latter is an energy gobbler. It does so without any problems. Unless you are the type who really wants to pay the main price with the dual video cards, or top of the line nVidias, a quality 550/600 W should be more than enough to power any system with some harddrives and a Quad/i7 + high end GPU. CPU developers won't go over the 120W TDP for logical reasons, and GPUs won't be using more power in the future either, since we've reached a ceiling of what is acceptable for hardware in terms of heat dissipation.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
heh... slightly
Perhaps that was a bad choice of words? I was trying to convey that it's on a higher level than the other three, but not by some huge amount, so perhaps I understated it.

Still, it's not by much. An 8800GT is roughly an 8800GTX, which itself is roughly a 9800GTX. The HD4850 is around par with the 9800GTYX+, which itself isn't much faster than the regular 9800GTX. The gap isn't really all that big between them. I know saying "this card is close to that card, which is close to that card, which is close to that card" still leaves a bunch of closes, which no longer means close, but in the case, the average difference isn't that huge.

I'd say it's 25% faster average. At larger resolutions, it may be more, and at smaller resolutions, they're about the same. Look for differences between the HD4830/8800GT cards (they're on par with one another) compared to the HD4850, and no, I'm not talking about one benchmark at these settings and resolutions that put it 50% faster, because there's just as many where they're closer. Look at a multitude of them across the board and I'd say on average it's about 25% faster. That's more than the "slightly faster" in initially stated, but not by much.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Cooler Master 650W is dead cheap. Isn't as good quality as others, but still does thr job pretty well.

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
350 to 450 or 500W would suffice

1 - 20 of 38 Posts