Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am getting my 6600GT (AGP) tomorrow. I wanted to know if this baby would be enough to keep me happy with PC gaming till PS3 rolls in. I mean, how will games using engines like Unreal3, AOE3, Quake4, CoD2, FEAR and other intensive graphics games are handled by this? How does this card work with HDR? is it good?

1024x768 4XFSAA at highest details is good enough for me :p

· Premium Member
1,933 Posts
I'm not so sure. I had a Gforce2 MX400 and it lasted 4 years. (it would have been a bit longer if it had support for shaders)

But my 6600gt is already being stressed to the max at 1024x768 (no AA) by new games (FEAR demo) and some old ones. (Farcry with HDR)

I’m thinking around 2 or 3 years max. By that time I may have to build a new system. (I’ve upgraded this one since I built it in 2001)

· I Burnt The Toast!
1,522 Posts
Should do you well for a good 2 years before you really need to worry about it. They are a very popular card, so they will be in the game developers minds when creating games. Remember, lowest common denominator. Right now that to me means, 6600's and X700's a few years from now.

· NextGenerationGaymulation
2,934 Posts
I'm not quite so sure about this, I think it all depends on the competition if ATI or another company gets togheter something good so will NVIDIA and the extreme graphics war will get started again, I mean how long was it between Geforce 6800 and 7800.. and just look at the perfomance leap!!

· War Games coder
1,927 Posts
It'll last until the next big thing comes out. That's the way it works. You'll probably find once you have it that your expectations for minimum frame rates will change, and you won't be able to bear what you can see now with your current equipment. Then, 3 months later, some new game will come out that won't run with all the details maxed, and you'll want a new card. Then you'll curse your new card out for a couple of years, because you just can't bring yourself to buy another $600 so soon again, then be tempted when the next best thing is only $150 6 months down the road.

I'm the same way :).

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
I have and I love it. However, I would reccomend a GeForce 6800 which is around the same price but has more pixel pipelines. The 6600GT has a faster clock and memory bandwith tho. I simply love mine, plays CoD, Doom 3, Half-Life 2 on awesome settings. However, my motherboard is limited to AGP 4x so I can't say to much, but the card rocks nevertheless.

· Premium Member
8,394 Posts
I have the 6600GT (AGP) also since a while now (more then 4-5 months i think)
right now everything is running great. FEAR demo worked great at default settings. im not changing my card for at least 2 years and im pretty sure itll last that long

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Heh, it goes pretty much like this on my side: Between the transistion of generation of two consoles, I end up as a PC gamer. Last time, I had got myself a TNT2 in 1999 which lasted well till the PS2 came out. In fact, there may be a thread on NGemu from around 2001 started by me asking that what I should get, a GF3 Ti or a PS2 :). It was around 2001-2002 that I completely left off PC gaming. By 2003, no PC game would run on my system. :p

In 2004, PS2 began to looks old so I got meself a system upgrade. My current system. First I had a 5200, then got a 9600pro, then a second hand temporary 6600 and now today finally I'll get my OWN 6600GT. So if this lasts till 2007 then I'll be OK. And if it DOES last till 2007 then my next system upgrade would be pretty much when the PS3 looks old or outdated. ;)

*Tries to visualize a 6600GT as outdated as a TNT2 is today*

· Registered
356 Posts
I have a SLI set up with 2 6600gts, and I'll tell you its awful. I don't believe I'm getting that big of a performance boast by using 2 instead of 1. It's a good card and all but I suggest holding out and getting 6800, you might even be able to overclock it to get better preformance.

· Registered
53 Posts
The performance boost is noticeable when you start hitting those high resolutions (1600x1200) using SLI video cards.

I've a XFX 6600GT and it's done me good. Played all these new demos out and they run just great.

· Registered
608 Posts
Well, I don't know if you are an ebay-er; you can always sell the card in 2 years and get about half back. Then you can either hold on to that money or invest in a better card either used or new. I myself have gotten the FX 5600u for ~$100 almost two years ago, now they go for about $40-50 on ebay. And I just got a 5900SE for ~$60 off ebay, not bad.

btw, 6600gt AGP (used) is about ~$110 ebay :)

And to comment on the "future proof" part, I'd say it really depends on your standard. From your post though, I think the ebay plan might work for you (just watch out, ebay can be a dangerous place).

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, ebay is not an option for me, but I was able to sell my FX5200 for 50$ 5 months ago (it was 6 months used) and I sold my 9600pro for 80$ a month ago at my local stores. Now I am getting the 6600GT for 200$ and today in 5 hours from now. :D Is this price right? how much do they cost at your places?

These things are a little pricy here and I can't get them shipped .... as it'll cost about the same after shipment and then I donno how the warranty system may work either. So limited to buying from the local stores and 200$ for an Inno3D 6600GT AGP 128MB is the least I can find. Asus, Leadtek and Prolinks cost around 250-270$ mark. And that's that, there's no other brand available here.

· Registered
608 Posts
Where do you live? In the states there are often online stores with 6600GT for ~$150 after rebate. We are talking about US $ here right? $200 is a little pricey, but then if your local store has really good warranty/return service, it might be worth it, especially when you can't buy online. You got really good prices for the 2 cards you sold back though, about ~30% than what you would get on ebay. AND, minus all the hassles <- important.

· Quad Core FTW!!!
782 Posts
Squigi63 said:
I have a SLI set up with 2 6600gts, and I'll tell you its awful. I don't believe I'm getting that big of a performance boast by using 2 instead of 1. It's a good card and all but I suggest holding out and getting 6800, you might even be able to overclock it to get better preformance.
In my opinion, SLI in general isnt worth it yet. They are starting to make things like SLI Antialiasing, which utilizes the two cards, but other than that I just don't see it's purpose. Maybe after the PS3 SLI will start to take off.

As for your choice, a 6800 would probably be better. It's around the same price, more pixel pipelines, and you can unlock the extra pipelines and shader to make it even better. However the 6600GT has faster speeds. Your call ;)

· Registered
1,733 Posts
Well, to clear up the issue regarding the 6800 Vs. the 6600GT, the 6800 has 40% (6.4GB/s) more memory bandwidth than the 6600GT due to the 256-bit memory interface of the 6800. The GDDR3 memory on the 6600GT is only 128-bit, so has half the memory bandwidth of equally clocked 256-bit memory. This particularly helps when using antialiasing and anisotropic filtering.

The 6800 also has 4 more pixel pipelines and 2 more vertex shaders by default than the 6600GT, with the possibility to further be unlocked to a full 16 pixel pipelines and 6 vertex shaders. The only real benefit of the 6600GT over the 6800 is the higher default core clock which gives it a slighly higher fillrate. This is very easily offset with the 6800 by overclocking the core of the 6800 to more than 334MHz (just 9MHz higher than default) to gain the same fillrate.

· -PM to advertise here-
8,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The 6800 here, cheapest one, starts from 300$ and is out of my range. And, I am a little worried about the 6600GT that I got.

I am worried because the card's idle temps are 69-71 Degrees Celsius and its peaks at around 99-100 degrees in the ATiTool scan for artifacts test. After two CS source stress tests, the max temp reached was 91.

These are too high. My room temperature during testing was 30-32 Degrees Celsius. My AMD64 was at 47 and mobo at 43. Is this high temperature only because of the poor cooling solution on Inno3D card or is there more to it?

I got a 400W PSU with three PCI cards, two optical drives, a 40Gig baracudda and 2 case fans. Under load, my 12V drops to 11.5V and on idle its at around 11.7V ........can this be causing the problem and if yes then is the problem entirely because of power? Or should I go and try for a different board?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.