Next Generation Emulation banner

how much can i overclock a intel E8400 on stock cooler ?

6K views 67 replies 14 participants last post by  LoneWolf 
#1 ·
so how much can i over clock a E8400 on stock ?

#7 · (Edited)
120mm is good... I use the Red Scorpion and I can get 4.8 GHZ without it burning up....Probably 5.0 if I really tried and didn't care about the voltage...

I'll say one thing about that cooler...it's CHEAP.....:D:D:D

And apparently it doesn't have a backplate for the motherboard...:(:(:(

(if that's a concern for you)....
You should get the E8500 or the E8600 if you're serious about overclocking...The E8700 will be coming out soon...

Of course that's up to you....
And don't take any guff...

#9 ·
Devinwolf is the next Gameman? :p Hey you should also make a thread and call it "Devinwolf's thread" or something like that ;) And to answer your question which im sure has been already answered here and if not you can always try google.

#10 ·
What motherboard do you have? Does it have voltage changing settings? Aftermarket heatsink/fan?

If it has no voltage settings, just FSB. If you can get to 3.4Ghz, you're lucky.

If you adjust voltage settings, about 1.3v, 3.6Ghz is a good bet.

Anything higher requires good settings tinkering or otherwise huge amounts of luck. :)

#15 · (Edited)
The E8700 is not coming out! Neither is the Q7500 or E3200 originally planned. This is what is planned.

So what are they just gonna scrap it?????

I mean it was officially out for a couple days wasn't it????

That's bogus...I mean by Intel....

So waht do they do with the chips, just relabel em higher clocking e8600;s, or toss em into the bin and hit the flush button????

Well, one good thing, at least the E5400 is coming down mate...

Know what I mean????

Now if only the QX9770 would come down..

By the way, can anyone truly justify the mass price difference between the Q9650 @ 3.0 GHZ and the QX9770 @ 3.20 only 200 MHZ more????

The Q9650 is 399.99 and the QX9770 is $2,069.99 STILL???!!!!!!

Both Have 12MB Cache
Both are Yorkfields
Both hit approximately 3.0 GHZ or thereabout

The only differenc e is that one has an unlocked multiplier an an extra 200 MHZ!!!!! this is UNBELIEVABLE!!!!.. 1700.00 for an unlocked multiplier!!!!!!!!(and a little extra fsb)
Meanwhile according to Zedeck the i7 975, faster and clocked higher is now 999.99 US I assume????? (3.33 GHZ with Hyperthreading Bloomfield)....

Something's wrong here...

And it now occurs to me, that this is so you HAVE to go i7, with all the extra new parts and triple channel Ram...

Forget the old 775 owners who wanna do better than 3.0 GHZ and go Quad...

I think were getting hosed again...

PS: Devin, a E8400 Stock cooler overclock apparently has a lot to do with Ram....

You (according to most sites and self professed "experts" need at least 800 MHZ Ram with good timings...Not to be prejudicial, but I'd go for the 1066 - only make sure it doesn't conflict with your motherboard...)

HaHa......I should send you my Extra 2GB Dominator.....it'll probably do you more good than it did me.....It's just sitting on the desk collecting dust....

#18 ·
This affects what, now?
List a few games that would run noticeably better on your machine or benefit from the performance of one of those cores and you can have all the candy in the world, Gameman.
I was referring to archiving and video encoding, and maybe PCSX2 someday if they get optimized for quad core..

What's actually looking tempting cpu-wise is that newly reduced i7975, but I'd have to replace the Motherboard too..and probably the Ram, so in the end it would come to almost the same as one QX9770, for the 775 Mobo which I already have......

These guys are smart...they know exactly what they're doing and exactly where they can't give leeway.....

I'm prepared to wait it out though, even if it takes 10-15 years.....I ain't falling for that Corei7 B.S...

#19 ·
I was referring to archiving and video encoding, and maybe PCSX2 someday if they get optimized for quad core..

What's actually looking tempting cpu-wise is that newly reduced i7975, but I'd have to replace the Motherboard too..and probably the Ram, so in the end it would come to almost the same as one QX9770, for the 775 Mobo which I already have......

These guys are smart...they know exactly what they're doing and exactly where they can't give leeway.....

I'm prepared to wait it out though, even if it takes 10-15 years.....I ain't falling for that Corei7 B.S...
You make it sound as if all of that is worth $300 for tasks you could do while you sleep at night.

#20 ·
Perhaps,but if you remember my E8600 purchase, it's evident I like speed..

The sooner something's done the better....:D:D:D:D:D:

#21 ·
Games will take some time to be optimized for better performance in core i7

the games with that feature will only be new releases
You'll be waiting a long time.

Gameman said:
And here I thought you hailed the i7 as your first new born :rolleyes:
/gasp, is someone starting to finally see the light?!...

#22 ·
Yeah, but it's an eclipse.......

#26 ·
Who give damn about applications being optimized or not on Quadcore CPUs; its has it purposes. Having a quadcore will benefits your overall system performances not just one area of a specific region. You can do a lot more and get things done faster on a quad than a dualcore, this is especially true when it comes to multi-tasking and applications that are already been optimized for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.