Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that's my question
i called my isp for support because I was having a ping issue on my computer they asked me how many svchost was windows xp running I told them 3 on system and 1 on network system they told me i got a virus and should use stinger.exe to clean it
Im just running the scan right now but is it true what they told me about the svhost? that I should only have 3 running instead of 4?

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
i used that al;sdjflasjdf utility and it says i got no virus
;lakjsfdl;kajsdf support
what a bunch of retarded people

·
Premium Member
6,338 Posts
I have 6 svchosts running and my system's just peachy. I say they're just full of ***** and gave you the wrong information (maybe even intentionally).

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
i dont know for you guys but ISP tech support always seem to blame virus or adware for every single problems. they dont even seem to try and search for the problem. nway im talking from my experience. i dont call them anymore...its just full of bull

ohh and i got 5 svchost running...no problems here

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It's dependent upon the number of services you have that are run from .DLL files. Check your services under administrative tools and count how many point to a .DLL file.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi Dhkimboa,

as the other members told you, the number of the Svchost.exe files is related to the amount of net processes you are running.

1) Go to www.blackviper.com and see the description of each process, so you can disable some of them, and recover wasted memory.

2) If one of your Svchost files is a virus, an antivirus will surely detect it.
Please use these free online virus scans:
www.pandasoftware.com - www.housecall.trendmicro.com

Max7.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
If you want to see what services are running under each svchost... Open up a command prompt and type...
tasklist /svc

:)
EDIT:
I myself have 4 svchost.exe running.

·
Thinking outside the box
1,570 Posts
uhu got 5.. but lately around 17:00 my internet starts to get really slow... Im gone call the cable company. Cos i can hardly play my games anymore.. ping goes up from 100 to 800/2000 every 10sec.

Lets see what crap there gone tel me >.<

·
[Insert Ad Here]
333 Posts
I have 4 running too. I noticed when I had a virus on my computer that one of the svchost was running under my name rather than NETWORK SERVICE or SYSTEM under the User name column in task manager.

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
There is a trojan that disguise itslef as a svchost.exe, i had it!!!!! I didn't knew until i tried Spybot search and destroy and it detected it. Give it a try and see if this is the problem.

·
Linux's worst nightmare..
1,510 Posts
ive got 2
some viruses try to hid themselves by calling themselves svchost so I guess I can see why the tech support person gave you the advice they did....
but the reality is Tech Support for ISP have gone from bad to worse. And now with the outsourcing trend going on. Soon you wont even be able to Understand the S-hitty script being read to you because of someone from a remote country trying to pretend hes an american.
Although I love comcast now. BAck when I first had it there was a program I was using which required a certain port to be open. It didnt work correctly so I asked the Tech support lady "What ports does Comcast Block?" She said
"What are ports?" :???: I was so pissed i hung up on the b1tch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts