Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you already know, but I work for Bell Canada.

For those of you who are not familiar with bell canada, think of a cross between the evil empire from star wars, and microsoft. Now set subject to phones and internet provider. ;) Bell canada is a the telephone company that owns every copper line in ontario and quebec, provinces that include such cities as toronto, ottawa, montreal, and tens of millions of phone lines.

I try to justify my involvement to the people i know, saying that i work indirectly for bell, as i work for a outsourcing company that provides customer support agents. (aka, i do the work of a full bell agent, but dont have the high-paying union job)

I do my best, as an inbound call center rep, always try to be curtious and polite to the customers, who 7 times out of 10 are extremely irate, and most often with good cause, due to some screwup or another by another bell agent, or their missunderstanding, or bell policy in general.

But sometimes as the following case describes, I wonder.. whats the point.. and how is this even legal, let alone ethical...

I spoke to a nice lady some time back, who was calling for some general billing help. Throughout the course of the call, as i looked over the account, and the previous bills, I noticed to my astonishment, aproximately a month back over $2,000 worth of collect calls, totaling about 3 hours of talk time (or about $8.50 per minute.)

I enquired about this, and she, in a most depresed, resigned tone, told me that her son had accepted some collect calls from someone calling on their cellphone in new zealand. She said that she had already spoken to several other agents, and a supervisor but was always told the same thing. "I'm very sorry ma'am, but he accepted the calls, those charges are valid, there is nothing that we can do." At this point she had givven up fighting, and was resigned to pay it.

I didn't press the subject any farther, finished helping with the current billing question, and that was the end of that call.

The think is, i know bell's policy here and its exactly as she described. When a collect call is recieved, the customer is notified that they will be paying the charges, although the charges are not specified. Also in the terms of service that you must accept before service is installed, it clearly states that the customer is responsible for any and every call that is made with their line, whether they made the call, their son, or their neigbor taps into their line etc. This lady was, as the saying is at my work SOL, or "S**t out of luck"

This makes me sick.
How is this legal? How can a company force such exorbant rates on their customers? Comon.. are we in the 1400s? or what?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
5,477 Posts
It's legal because she agreed to the service contract.

I must say though, those are some crappy term to abide by.:( This is partly why I don't have a land-line (Bell South) here.

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Looking back throughout history, has there ever been a time when a group of individuals haven't eventually taken advantage of a situation or another group when continuously given the opportunity? Thel lowest common denominator pretty much always becomes the defining characteristic the end if its the most benefitial.

·
Site Owner
14,909 Posts
Phone companies are crazy about money.
When i bought my Iphone ($400) i used it for one month. Then I sold it. At&t pulled some **** about how i needed to pay the early termination fee. I said that i had actually turned the phone off before that. In the end, I had to pay them $687 for two, (yes 2) months service plus termination fee. Do the math. For that one month of service, I could have bought a nice mid range computer. Im never touching At&t again. NEVER.

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
This reminds me of when I went away for 2 weeks last year and my ex girlfriend ran my internet 60GB over my monthly quota!

At 15 cents per MB I ended up with a bill just over $9000 with no option but to pay it:(

I still can't work out how Telstra thinks that 120GB in one month is worth just over $9000

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
I did:p The internet is back on under a false name:D

·
Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ 龍我雷 Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ
1,201 Posts
Phone companies are crazy about money.
When i bought my Iphone ($400) i used it for one month. Then I sold it. At&t pulled some **** about how i needed to pay the early termination fee. I said that i had actually turned the phone off before that. In the end, I had to pay them $687 for two, (yes 2) months service plus termination fee. Do the math. For that one month of service, I could have bought a nice mid range computer. Im never touching At&t again. NEVER.
Well, all phone companies like that.. T-Mobile for example.. I share a family plan contract between me and my 2 brothers.. and current contract's term is already over, so we decided to get new free phones with a new contract for another 12 months and $300 cash back after rebate.. anyways, T-Mobile said to make this happen, one of the three phone numbers must be canceled, and because I am the youngest; I picked the short straw :rolleyes: (I know! it sucks to be the youngest :dead:) after canceling my phone number, we tried to sign the new contract.. guess what! they say, there must be $500 deposited for a year to their account then we can take the money back.. bullsh!t.. the ad didn't say anything about $500 nor they said anything about it, till the last minute.. so we refused the new contract..

Try to reactivate my phone number back again, after 3 days, they sent a bill for $350 reActivation fee.. so I ended up without a phone.. (Well at least I have the old one still, I keep it for alarm/snoozing to go to work :lol:)

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
This reminds me of when I went away for 2 weeks last year and my ex girlfriend ran my internet 60GB over my monthly quota!

At 15 cents per MB I ended up with a bill just over $9000 with no option but to pay it:(

I still can't work out how Telstra thinks that 120GB in one month is worth just over $9000

im sorry to ask but htf did she manage to run 60Gb's over on your internet, what the hell was she downloading?:lol:.

·
Registered
10,535 Posts
im sorry to ask but htf did she manage to run 60Gb's over on your internet, what the hell was she downloading?:lol:.
Just speculating, but Netflix can eat a lot of bandwidth, so can some Steam games, downloading shareware/freeware games, or maybe she was 'naughty' and downloading Playstation/Dreamcast images, not that I'd know anything about downloading ROMs/ISOs. :evil:

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
She was downloading movies! She downloaded about 100 movies in 700MB avi format!

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
damn thats alot of movies she must either have alot of pacience to download all that, or something else which i wont care to mention out of the bin lol. But 100 in 2 weeks, hell thats got to be a record.

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
It's legal because she agreed to the service contract.

I must say though, those are some crappy term to abide by.:( This is partly why I don't have a land-line (Bell South) here.
The lady should look into a way to prevent collect calls all together. Unfortunately I don't think in this case that Bell did anything wrong at all. It would have been nice if they had stated where the collect call was from and how much per minute it would be. Honestly though, you should never accept a long distance collect call.

Just speculating, but Netflix can eat a lot of bandwidth, so can some Steam games, downloading shareware/freeware games, or maybe she was 'naughty' and downloading Playstation/Dreamcast images, not that I'd know anything about downloading ROMs/ISOs. :evil:
I totally agree. Steam + Netflix and your 60Gbs is DONE! And nothing is illegal about eithier.

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
damn thats alot of movies she must either have alot of pacience to download all that, or something else which i wont care to mention out of the bin lol. But 100 in 2 weeks, hell thats got to be a record.
I was indeed extremely stunned when I found out!

Lol no wonder shes your ex haha did ya dump her after she did that :D
Yes, she was dumped the instant I found out!

She actually rang me on the phone last week asking if she can come over cause she has forgiven me for going off at her oO

She then before I even had the chance to say no started giving me a list of movies she wants me to get! oO

She was told very bluntly by Riss that she will never be welcome here and she hung up the phone crying!

axxo! << Does that tell anyone what she was doing?

·
Registered
89 Posts
you guys know how long it would take me to DL those 100 movies?? i was bored and went to see how long it would take me to get me a download of windows7...i clicked it got the direct download going and it said 24hrs...just for one stinking OS....oh yea if its worth it i made sure it was a good link..a friend posted it into a forum for a game i play

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
512kb connection is what she did it on!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts