Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I got a AMD 5000+ 2.6ghz CPU right now, and it can sometimes run games decently, but not for the most part, I basically have 2 questions, one, it says to use SSE4 or whatnot plugins with latest Intel CPUs, but the AMD ones have it too, can I still use it?

Second, it says 4.0ghz Dual or Quad, can the emulator use quad properly? I was going to get a 3.2ghz quad (not just for the emulator), but would that not be enough to run it optimally, since it says 4ghz? Would it suffer greatly for not being intel?

Newegg.ca - AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

This was the CPU i was going to get.

The only generally similar Intel CPUs I found were $50-$100 more... and its hard to find a MOBO that supports DDR2 and recent CPUs, since a lot of them are DDR3, and I don't want to re-buy ram.. I do have to buy a new MOBO anyways, so if I could find a similarly priced MOBO + CPU combo for Intel I could go for it, but my current one is about $271, which is pretty cheap..

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
Don't worry, with a Phenom you'll get good speeds. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Pcsx2 loves Intel cpu's SSE performance. AMD is fine, too, but they do lag behind in this field.
Expect an AMD cpu to perform roughly 20% slower than an Intel cpu at the same clockspeed.

You cannot use the SSSE3 or SSE4 versions of GSdx, but pcsx2 uses a select few AMD only optimizations.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.