Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Welcome to Emuforums ...

please check that you create your posts in the right forum. This one is meant for submitting news to us, not to ask development related questions. Moving this thread now ...

To answer your question - you create an emulator by programming it. How? That'd be a tad to big to explain now :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Oooh.. Why would you want to write an emulator in java ? Even though it sounds ridiculous, you could get away with it. Major drawback is that you cant use pointers, but because chip8 has small memory, you can just declare a one big a** array and of you go :guitar: :. Other than that its very possible, just don't try it with any other project. Oh and post the code when you're done. :cool:

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Somehow, I doubt the original poster was talking about a chip emulator as he was about a console one. :lol:

Scrap Java for the project. You won't be gaining anything from it. But then again, they had us do CPU scheduling in Java...

·
Registered
185 Posts
Java is one of my Favorite languages, Plus not having pointers is an advantage, why should programmer care about managing memory, plus one mistake in setting a pointer leads to a disaster.
I am doing my graduation project in java this year,so I'm alittle experinced in it, still learning it though, it's really hard & big, but you can do whatever you want with it.

btw 1 of the major benefits of Java you can run the same code on any OS, since it is an interpreted language, just instal the JVM on the pc & it will run it whatever the OS is which will help any kind of projects!!

Anyway if you are thinking of a project, small or big one, how much time left for you to make it??

·
Registered
185 Posts
writing an emulator alittle.
programming, what is enough to know the difference between languages using pointers as C series & others who don't use.

do you mind why you asked me this strange quest.? :rolleyes:
I was replying to ArchIBaLD btw not the topic started ;)

·
Registered
317 Posts
You made a direct comment about me saying that Java doesn't support pointers making it inferior to lets say C/C++ when it comes to emulator programming. Then you said that NOT having pointers is an advantage, you said that a programmer shouldnt care about managing memory.

When you write an emulator, you are trying to emulate a computer. And every computer even a simple Chip8 has memory. In fact writing an emulator using JAVA for a more complicated machine, like lets say a PlayStation, would prove so impractical that it has newer was/will be attempted by anyone. This let me to a conclusion that you either know very little or nothing about actually writing an emulator. Thus the "strange" question.

Good day.

·
Registered
185 Posts
oh thanks for the explanation, & yes I know alittle about programming Emulators something I'm not ashamed of ;)
anyway,Do you mean that to start programming an emulator you have to organise your memory directly (cos java uses automatic memory allocation).
Also why would i like to know the adresses of my variables since they have names & i can called them by using thier names only?

good day to you too :)

Edit : I didn't mean any offence by saying that programmers doesn't need pointers & that this is against your opinion :)

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Hm... try making a game for Java. Something like Mastermind or Text Twist. For serious stuff, try a Java-based Chat program... or Auction, or what not. :)

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
guys lets not turn this into a "what language is best" arguement, they all have their advantages.

if you are thinking of making an emu i suggest you read some of thie stickies HERE

that should be enough to get you started

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Well, it's not a "which language is best" problem. It's a "that language can't do that, but you need it for this functionality" problem. :) The only reason it got to that point is because the direct memory addressing functionality problem was unclear.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
Kraelis said:
Well, it's not a "which language is best" problem. It's a "that language can't do that, but you need it for this functionality" problem. :) The only reason it got to that point is because the direct memory addressing functionality problem was unclear.
well really that falls under the same catagory, if a language cant do something then another language that can is classed as "better" :p

but yes i do see your point

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.