Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive worked with other emulators, like snes game boy. But now psx, is a stronger machine, and requires cds. So how does the PS emulator work, do i have to put the original copy of the game in the PC, or can i download games? Im really lost on how this emulator functions, could you guys plz help me. I really wanna play monster rancher 2, cuz i lost my cd a year ago, and i wanna really play it again.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
dont ask about downloading games. its pretty much illegal and not tolerated on these boards.
you need a game cd to play, or you can play from a cd image on your hardrive that you made from a game cd. either way you need the game.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
It works like a real PSX... pop the CD into your CD-ROM drive, and off you go. Some emulators (e.g. ePSXe) has native ISO support... so it could load a CD-image file instead of running it from a CD.

And.... since you're new, and since you lost your CD and since you asked whether you could download the games or not, let me give you a bit of a warning:
1. It is not allowed on this board to ask for ROM sites, or where to download PSX/N64/GBA/etc etc games.... you'll be banned if you fail to comply.
2. ePSXe requires a PSX BIOS to operate correctly. Do not ask where you could get it.... it is not allowed as well.

Having said all that, allow me to welcome you to the boards, and enjoy your stay here! :)

[edit] you beat me by a couple of seconds there, Bgnome :p

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
And please read all the documents that come with the emulator and all the docs that come with the pluggins.. Then read the epsxe faqs.. If you run into problems reread the documents and faqs all over again.. Then if you still can't figure it out, ask us here.. We will try to help you..

A bit of advice..

"gain knowledge through experimentation" and get epsxe executor.. It will help you greatly in using epsxe..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thx yall, well ill be sure not to ask for any roms, its cool. I got adriPSX, and i played TonyHawks 2, that was cool. So i guess i gotta get MOnster Rnacher again, well in that case, ill play it on the PS2. Oh and one mroe thing, what is a Game Image, or whatever it was called.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
A game image or ISO is just a game on cd copied to your harddrive.. I use cdrwin to make all my isos..

If you make an image of a psx game then the whole psx game is copied to your harddrive as a game image or iso.. Then you can use the "Run iso" option in epsxe to play the game without the need for the cd as it will run the iso of the game off your harddrive.. Consequently this speeds up the loading of the game and several other things.. Your Harddrive can spin faster than your cd rom drive..

There are several types of isos but most are generally similar.. Cdrwin makes bin files..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I dotnthink im allowed to ask this but, how do i make a ISO, or game image. Cuz ill just go and rent...nm dont wanna get in trouble.

·
&-)---|--<
8,586 Posts
hehe.. I don't think you are allowed by law to just rent games and make copies.. But if you just wanna try em and see if you like the games first before you buy em, then I guess its ok.. You will start to run out of HD space because an iso will usually take up between 300 to 700 megs for each game..

Go to www.goldenhawk.com and download cdrwin to make isos.. Don't just rent games and make copies though.. Make isos of games you already own..

·
Registered
113 Posts
well look here ill tell ya straght up how to run a psx emulator: 1.bios file(very illegal)so dont ask were to find one 2.Get a playstation game or ISO(also very illegal)u have to have the regular game before u get an iso for it to be lieingly legal and thats all i got to say xcept for the plugins u need :D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wow thx yall, people at this board are really helpfull, thx alot. But i dont wanna do anything against the law, so i wont get ISOs, or that stuff, too legit to quit.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
BIOS: Basic Input Output System. If the CPU is the brain, the BIOS is the heart and soul of the system. It pretty much decodes and controls everything so the CPU can understand whats going on, much like the way it does in a normal computer. The reason bleem! works is because Randy was able to look at how a psx worked and reverse engineer the BIOS. CVGS kinda cheated a bit and "borrowed" some code but nevertheless, you need some form of it so that the processer can make sense out of the data.

·
Lost in Time
2,289 Posts
WUwata, it's not illegal to have the bios of YOUR psx. So you're allowed to have one, if you own the console as well. The problem is that the sites that carry them often have illegal stuff, so that's why it's not allowed to mention them here. The ISO thing is also not illegal if you: 1. have the actual CD and; 2. Don't play with the CD and the ISO at the sametime (you can't rent the game and copy, as well you can't lend your cd to a friend and keep the ISO).
Other than that, emulation is very legal. That's why Sony will never destroy it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts